• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Failed MD CDL Class B due to improper vehicle!

Bonte

UPDATE: I passed my Class B CDL test in my M934A1. Yes, you heard me correctly! Thanks all for the support!

Greetings all,

On Friday morning after months of preparation, I drove my M934A1 truck down with a friend to the Maryland MVA to take my Class B CDL test so that I could be legally licensed to drive my 5-ton.

After about 30 minutes in to the pre-trip inspection, I concluded all of the physical checks and moved onto my brake tests. I started with the parking brake test, followed by my air brake 1-minute hold and moved onto the last part of the test where push in the parking brake (down) and fan the air brakes showing operation of the low air and subsequent release of the spring brakes after the pressure drops below ~40 PSI.

Well, after the test was over, the MVA examiner looked over at me and told me that I failed because I did not push in the spring brake override valve (she pointed and simply said "that" while pointing to that valve). I was confused and explained to her that the override valve was not a parking brake and showed her that the spring brake parking valve was located on the top of the mechanical parking brake. Further, explained the function of the Spring Brake Override valve and that it is not used during normal operation of the vehicle and that this truck does not have a parking brake pop-out and explained the pop-out function if it did have one.

I pulled out the operators manual as she went to get a supervisor, When she returned with the supervisor, I showed both of them the information on the spring brake override and informed her again that there is no parking brake "pop-out" like you'd find on newer trucks and if I pushed in the Spring Brake Override valve, it would have engaged the parking brake, not released it.

My arguing was futile, both the supervisor and her agreed that I should be failed and cited that I did not bring a proper test vehicle to the driving test. I went inside and spoke to him further, asking him to point out where this is a requirement and even read the paragraph in the DL-151 manual where it clearly states that "air brake safety equipment varies per vehicle" and that you are being tested for the operation of the safety equipment itself.

My current plan is to call first thing Monday morning and try to speak to the person in charge of the CDL testing and ask them about vehicles that were not manufactured with pop-out parking valves.

Before I make that call, I wanted to see if anyone could offer me some advice. I do not have access to another vehicle to test in and the CDL testing sign-up is currently about 4 weeks out. In less than weeks I am going to an event and I need my CDL prior to that event.

Thanks for the advice in advance,
Bonte

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Site. BTW, welcone to commercial vehicles too. Of course all States vary with their rules. I know its sometimes hard, not to argue with them...... try not to sound like it. And, ironically, they are probably the least likely, to have the practical knowledge to trouble shoot a problem with your vehicle. I have found, that as soon as I preceive an issue arrising, I ask them, how I should proceed. When she said you failed (right or wrong) ask what you should have done. They have to tell you. Then ask, what else? If they see anything else that your weak on? etc! Go back the next day, and take it again.

First thought is, you might need to go now to a different testing facility, to get new Testers. Sounds like they are trying to disqualify your truck. But first, I would call and get a hold of your top DOT "truck cop" around there, and tell him of your problem. Ask him, if he would be so kind as to meet with you and inspect your vehicle, too insure that its a Testable vehicle, and ask that it can be verified some way. Most of thos senior truck cops are sharp, and know all the issues and problems associated with the the vehicles. Ask him, how that you should proceed. They might come out to your place and look your truck over. If they do, DMV will be hard pressed to disqualify it! Is there a DOT scale around there? Sometimes truck cops hang out there too. They even work on week ends.

So Good Luck.... A sure way to loose, is argue with them! I'm not saying that you did! But you can't sound like your trying to teach them anything either. Ask them what part of the book to study up on, and you might get away with asking them how it applies to your problem. Try to flatter them.

tiny110

Banned
When i got my class b cdl I rented a truck from penske that had air brakes and went and took the test. I rented the truck for the day to practice and get accustomed to it and go through the motions so I would be ready for the test. I thank it cost me $120.

I definitely would call monday and see if you can get them to go for it. Otherwise try and talk them into bumping you up to the top of the list so you could go ahead and get it done.

Sometimes it's just easier to do what the idiots are custom to then try to get them to change their mind.

I wish you luck!

mistaken1

Ahh the wonderful world of petty bureaucrats. The best thing you can do is stroke them.

The problem is they do not understand what they are doing or why they are doing it, they only know their routine. When you bring in a truck that does not fit within their routine it is easier for them to ‘reject it’ than to admit they do not understand how your truck works, such an admission would damage their self-proclaimed god-like power they have over you not to mention the fact that they would have to learn something new.

IOW they do not know enough about your truck to determine if what you are doing is right or wrong. When you try to explain it to them you only confuse them and worse still confirm for them that they really do not understand what they are doing. The fact that you demonstrably know more about your truck than they know about your truck only damages their fragile egos causing them to become even more adamant in rejecting your ‘unsuitable’ vehicle.

It’s funny that your vehicle is suitable to be licensed for use on the road but is ‘unsuitable’ for use as a testing vehicle so you can be licensed. I mean funny in a bureaucratic sort of way.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It’s funny that your vehicle is suitable to be licensed for use on the road but is ‘unsuitable’ for use as a testing vehicle so you can be licensed. I mean funny in a bureaucratic sort of way.
The lunatics are indeed running the asylum.:cookoo::roll:

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will drag you down and beat you with experience every time."

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was taking the test for a church bus. The "inspector" disqualified it because of the color of the front flasher lights.

It was an ex-Air Force bus and had single red flashers. She wanted yellow.

Ended up driving the bus to a different location two hours away. No problems there.

quickfarms

Here in CA the examiners do not have a CDL and just went through some training. Your best bet is to rent a truck. You can call the local trucking schools to see what there rates are or have your friend rent one for the day.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you were seeking the "Air Brake Endorsement" on the Class B, the truck has to have a pop out tractor protection valve for the test. Rent a truck.....it's a few bucks, but worth it. If you have no rental facilities near you, check with a local farmer....trade trucks for a day (though I think you might not get yours back).

Sorry to hear you ran into this. I was told not to prompt any questions, procedures in testing, or anything.......but I did all the talking, asked a few questions and the inspector had a good time (I think I explained more detail to him than he wanted in the pre-trip inspection, but he was happy when complete).

They do watch for everything......brakes are the number 1 risk factor in these trucks.

Last edited:

midcounty

Trying to argue with them is futile. Like others have said, you will need another truck. Renting one will probably be your best route. They don't understand the military trucks, and don't want to. They will just make more excuses to disqualify your truck. Impossible to have a battle of wits with unarmed people, and those people play the game like a bunch of spoiled rotten 3 year olds. If it doesn't go their way, they just take the ball and go home. MD DMV has to be the worst.

Bonte

If I can get them to bump up my test, I'd like to go back as soon as possible (with my truck or not). As of now, I need to locate a warm body with a CDL to sit in the passenger seat while I drive to and from an event on Memorial Day weekend - the risk of losing my CDL or facing extremely high fines for driving dirty is not something I'm willing to risk.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I will try my best to move forward with getting my CDL in my truck instead or try to find a friend with a straight truck w/ air brakes & >26,000 lbs so I can take to the test.

For the folks that suggested a rental option - will I need a Class B holder to rent the truck or co-sign somehow? Do they frown upon their trucks being used for CDL testing or are they perfectly fine with that?

Thanks!
Bonte

hcso1988

I'm surprised the facility you tested with doesn't offer a rental truck. When I took my CDL test (In Indiana) for work we bought our own, but they offered trucks at the testing facility for $50.00 to use for tests if you didn't have one available to you. If you can go that route, I would think it would be easiest.

Just something to think about.

Srjeeper

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but you'll never pass the Class B CDL Air Brake test with your truck. You must have a truck with the correct brake system needed to complete the test as required by the Federal Govt.. The Feds are the ones that set up the minium requirements for CDL testing. The states can test to a higher standard if they wish, but it's the Feds that make the minium requirements that must first be met and your truck doesn't meet them.

You have no leg to stand on in this argument with the state or it's examiners, so you'll need to find the correct vehicle to continue testing.

How much time is left on your permit?

You will need a licensed Class B driver to accompany you in parades and for testing, but all is not lost. Most CDL schools will rent you their vehicles for the test after you display to them your knowledgeable with it's operation. It's much cheaper than renting a truck and they will usually meet you at the testing center with the truck on test day.

Look into your other options, because the more rukus you make the harder it will be for you in the long run....this is a fight you can't win. 2cents

quickfarms

One advantage of using a rented truck us that you could get one with a manual trans and not have that auto restriction on you license.

There can be an advantage to renting the truck from a trucking school.

The advantage is that the truck is a known site at the testing center.

The disadvantage is that they will probably want to prequalify you to make sure that you have a chance of passing.

One advantage I had with the trucking school is that they practically gave me a script for the pretest and I only has to do the drivers side if the truck.

The guys who tried to do it there own way took the test several times.

The examiners are used to having the information presented in a particular way and format. If you follow this it is not that difficult. If you deviate it is hard to pass.

My personal recommendation is to do some research and talk to the local trucking guys and find out what schools they recommend.

The goal here is to get your license.

Good luck

hcso1988

One advantage of using a rented truck us that you could get one with a manual trans and not have that auto restriction on you license.
I would look into that part as it varies state by state. I took my CDL test in an automatic truck and have no transmission restriction's on my license. I have a Class B with tanker and air brake endorsement. I do know that in my state if you take the A with an auto you get the restriction, but not for B's. Food for thought.

jwaller

you must dumb yourself down to their level. I posted long and hard about a very similar issue with my 818. it you don't take a std normal road truck then they are not going to be able to give you the test.

these morons have a straight line checklist to go by and they simply don't understand any function of the actual equipment.
Save yourself the time and money and hassle and go rent a normal truck with regular s-cam brakes and air system.

You probably don't know it but you also failed the walk-around bc you didn't explain how the slack adjusters work, even though you don't have them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I took my pre-trip I walked around the truck and mentioned checking every part I saw. I listed almost every part of the whole truck and you could tell the instructor was getting irritated but I didn't miss anything. :)

I'm sure as long as you mention the slack adjusters I think you'd be ok. I highly doubt anybody is going to crawl under and look.

I took my test with a 3rd party private tester. The guy was a ex-truck driver and knew the "practicality" of truck driving. He said the state testers have never sat behind the wheel of a truck and have only been trained on how to administer the test. Any deviation from the test as written is a automatic fail.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have to agree with truck rental thing. Show up with a vintage military truck and the bureaucrats' feeble little minds go into a fault/protective mode and they self implode. I rented a Ryder 33Klbs, air brake equipped, 6 spd. manual stake bed to avoid being 1) disqualified and 2) getting any of those nasty restrictions. It was brand new with all the bells and whistles. Nothing to confuse the bottom-feeders. Made everything a lot easier. I have to admit getting through that pre-trip is bear. I was able to relax after I passed that portion. Doesn't matter what you test in as long as it neatly falls into the criteria for the level of license you are seeking.

A little a$$-ki$$ing goes along way if all else fails. Just remember once you got the CDL...you got it. Make sure to keep your med card current.

I wish you luck on your re-test. Keep us posted on future results.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks