• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 Project...Done...

TedG

CGarbee,

If you get panels from John, you will not be disappointed! I have made panels for 3/4 WC CC's since no one else made them so it is nice to have a panel that slides right in!

Clinto,

First, I remove almost everything that is bolted down and clean. For this M38 I rebuilt the axels internals but did not remove the housings, I did rebuild the suspension bushings and u-shackels. Scrape, grind and sand...but not too smooth. The mid-cross member and frame area was primed and painted (where they meet), then assembled, primed and painted. For the running gear, I like the surface to be a little rough. Then 2 thick coats of Rustoleum heavy rusted metal primer. I wait at least 48 hours between coats and I use a scour pad to scratch between coats and wipe down with mineral spirits to remove dust. Then 1 coat of paint on frame and items to be bolted on. Then I bolt on the items and cover everthing with another coat of paint. This covers all the nuts and bolts with an even coat which covers any scratches that occur during assembly. As with any restoration, attention to detail prior to painting is key and you cannot rush it to the paint booth.

Now on to the sheet metal components! :D

Thanks for the kind words! Pictures attached...

Attachments

TedG

The tub now has it's first coat of primer and tonight it will get it's second coat. Hopefully by the weekend, it will be OD! Memorial Day is just around the corner and I hope she comes together by then!

Attachments

CGarbee

Looking really good there.... I'll cross my fingers for your making that Memorial Day debut, but it looks like you've got everything on schedule... :)

I got in a pair of door frames and skins for mine from John last week along with some small parts, and everything looked wonderful as usual... I plan to get started on my '52 after Memorial Day... Got to get my Mule done first, and do the Convoy to Aberdeen.

I notice in your primer shots that your M38 has the corner reinforcement patches on either side of the tailgate. My '52 has them (they were factory applied by the time it was made), but my '51 does not (applied by MWO for the early models to combat cracking at the verticle seam between the rear panel and the quarter panel...).

One again, it really looks nice.

TedG

Thanks for the kind words. The previous, previous owner bondo'd over those welds for the reinforcement patches. In fact, I removed a lot of the bondo that they applied for no reason at all (unless they wanted to civilianized it), such as the spot weld dimples. Once painted I post more picts and then the setting of the tub ceremony!

I should have noted that the majority of the old green paint was removed mostly down to bare metal. Some of the original paint was left on. Under the dash is just one layer of factory paint! Cool! Since it had 3 other layers of paint.

TedG

Well I went and did it! I painted it 2 coats of OD (1.5 gallons)! Holy cow there is a lot of little parts to paint on M38's...Now I just have to wait for the paint to dry enough for assembly. Should be looking like a flat fender again soon. Only things left to paint is the windsheild frame, gas tank, hood and rear seat :)

Attachments

CGarbee

Boy, I can't wait to get my Mule done so I can get to work trying to make my '52 M38 look like this one... Nice work.
Where did you get the hat channels for under the floorboards? When I talked to John Bizal the other day (got a bunch of small parts from him), he said that he was not yet producing them... Mine are going to have to be replaced when the floor pans are done...

I'm also envious of the space you have inside to work upon it... :)

Great job.

TedG

Thanks everyone...again!

Lane, once this one is done it will either reside in my barn or be put up for sale...have not decided. The fall trail ride is a go for me and my humvee!

CGarbee, in my previous restorations I made a lot of different hat channels and then when I get an mv that needs them, I just pick from the pile of new to what fits best. This M38 only needed about a 1' of hat channel replaced. The rest is solid. The drivers floor needed replacing because po ran over something that wreck it.

Regards,

citizensoldier

For sale you say! Man, don't let my wife here so see it! I just managed to get her off of a M38 kick and onto a Pinz.. But recent possible job loss for her has trimmed her desires and mine.. :shock:
Anyway maybe I can get here a Matchbox one? Very nice work and I enjoy your photos. Even if she gets a Pinz I think a little M38 is still in my future somewhere. Been stashing money for this big yellow truck with a plow I saw last year. :jumpin: [thumbzup] I have some fresh XL rubber on combat rims that would just make it awsome.

TedG

Well it has been a busy week. Everything that bolts on this M38 is now OD! :) I have started to populate the dash, install wire harness and the instrument cluster is done (just need to place it when tub is on frame). If all goes well this weekend, the tub should be reunited with the lonely frame! :D 2 weeks to M-Day and it will be quite close...

Attachments

TedG

Hi Dave,

Thanks. Hey, park your 5 ton tractor here and see what happens to it!!!! I am still searching for a good 5 ton, perferably a 9xxA2 series but a darn good 813 might work. Keep in touch.

TedG

Well, another busy Friday pm, Saturday and only a couple hours on Sunday (honey-do-list :wink: ) and the M38 is starting to look like, well, an M38! :D I finally sat in it! I have to finish the engine compartment on vent lines, wipers, fill with water, install batteries, fresh gasoline. If all goes well with electrical and operation, then the fenders get installed. Next weekend is Findlay OH show and I will be there looking for accessories to trick out the rig. :)

Enjoy the mutation photos!

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Outstanding!

TedG

Well, after going to Findlay and buying a few small parts, the M38 is dang near done. I have only a few more evenings available to get it debugged so she can do the parade. Question...she starts but wants to run with the choke pulled out about 1/3 the way (the choke cable is adjusted properly), besides timing is there anything else I should look into?

Anyway, enjoy these pictures and if all goes well the next posting with be the
parade! :D :D :D Also, I fiinally have my shop back and looking for a 5 tonner! :) In fact I missed the WA M813A1 one by 14 seconds and $100 :cry:

Attachments

TedG

As far as before, the poor M38 was complete dissasembled so the only pictures I have is the following...It was a bucket of parts that took at least 2 full days to separate the cive from the military components....Thanks for your kind words!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks