• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What's missing in pic, plug? no plug?

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Phil, I can clearly see in that second picture that his headlight fluid is a bit low. Is that why everybody is scoping out the mud hole?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another explanation of the TMs for the deuce. In the ones DH listed you see the one common thing, 209. That is the series. I prefer to guide users to the 361 series. They encompass the same info with just 5 books. The bad part is the -10 owners manual is not released to the public yet but it's all over the www for free. Summary; TM 9-2320-361-10 is the operators manual. TM 9-2320-361-20 is the unit maintenance manual. Think of it as the field mechanic manual. There is also a -20P which is a parts manual (see the P). Lastly is the TM 9-2320-361-34 which is the shop manual and its part brother the 34P. These are a great resource without being too complicated. There are like 11 books in the 209 series.

Last edited by a moderator:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Deciphering TM numbers

TM9-2320-361-10

TM9 = Technical manual for branch 9. Branch 9 is ordnance.

1. Army Air Forces.
2. Cavalry.
3. Chemical Warfare Service.
4. Coast Artillery Corps.
5. Corps of Engineers.
6. Field Artillery.
7. Infantry.
8. Medical Department.
9. Ordnance Department

2320 = wheeled vehicles

361 = series of manual. the higher the number, the newer the book. Sometimes you need to reference an older book if the newer series omitted info. The older books were more detailed.

-10 = level of information.

Last edited:

orren

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I leave mine plugged since I don't relish trying to put plug in when under water. BUT,
I do check it for accumulated oil which has not happened for more than a tablespoon.
If I think it starts to get too much oil in bell housing I will then leave plug out until
leak is fixed.

I left my plugs as received, in the blank holder, not sealing up the clutch assembly.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The ball valve is the fast and easy way to get ready for fording. Myself I would leave it out as if the truck ever changes hands they might not know about it being installed and trouble will follow.

Keith_J

Bell housings need venting to relieve pressure differential due to heating during heavy use. Pressure changes can cause rear main seal leakage. Yes, the seal weeps, this is to be expected as a thin film of oil between the journal and the lip prevents wear. Positive pressure in the bell housing can force abrasive debris under the lip which causes wear of both.

When fording, heating of the bell housing air is limited as water tends to cool the bell housing faster than the clutch and engine can heat it. So leave the plug out unless in water. The ball valve idea is a good one.

What is missing in this pic

20181222_150128.jpg
While crawling underneath my Duece, I discovered the missing plug/inspection port/thingamajig in the pic, the hole is threaded so it is definitely missing something. I have been driving around a year with out it, no massive leaks, no change in performance. But now that I have found it I am a little nervous driving my favorite ride around town and all over central Texas. Any info would be appreciated, especially where I can locate a replacement part.

Elijah95

Certified Rookie
See the plug right next to it? When you’re going water fording, move the plug over and thread it into the hole; don’t forget to remove it shortly after though!

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard!! You aren't the first and most definitely won't be the last to notice the "missing plug".......................Above info is most accurate. Good eye though. LOL Have a great day and a Wonderful Christmas!!

Slate

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So if I have engine oil leaking out of this open plug hole should that be the rear main I need to replace? And which TM should I read to help?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks