• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dolly my M37

1943ht

Looked in the forum for similer thread, NADA...So here's my concern:
Plan on pulling my beast on a folly for an extended distance ..will drop the driveshaft ...intend to drive 50-50 MPH ... I realize that the 37 was not designed for those speeds, but will the rearend handle those speeds with the driveshaft dropped. The rearend has new seals, lube etc, and an inspection of the bearings showed them to be in good shape. Terrain will be a pretty flat haul..my biggest concern is the gear ratios in the rearend might not be up to those speeds. Any and all input appreciated. I will have a spare set of bearings for the axle along.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, thats what I'd do, pull the axles and let just the wheel bearings spin. You can go cheap and cover the axle openings with laminated paper, or find a plate of steel to drill holes in so you can bolt a cover on.

nattieleather

Come on cut him some slack the D and the F are right next to each. :)

I'd pull the axle shafts and let the wheels free spin also. Like :gimp2: said make a cover plate out of almost anything and have fun. For a cover you could even use the lid off of a cool whip container or simular type plastic lid.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
I have done a lot of things on a folly......most of them didn't turn out well.roflrofl
You Sir have just sealed your own fate by making light of a post made by a Field Grade Camo Officer!:mad:
You will be appropriately punished at the GA Rally!:)

Back to the thread...I agree, pull the axles and just "freewheel" right along Sir:beer:

Attachments

CGarbee

If you have the driveshaft dropped, and the seals, bearings, etc. are as good as you say (and the tires are ok), you will be fine.
I have flat towed a M37 accross multiple states at higher speeds without any troubles.
I have routinely driven my M37 (the one with the Cummins, overdrive transmission, and 4.89 gears) at 75mph all day long (seriously, from VA down to FL...).

The metal parts will all be ok, the usual problem with spinning the rear diff (or the t-case) is that the gear lube gets hot and the NOS seals don't hold up to the temps. At the speeds you are talking about, you should be fine, if not, a bucket of 90wt and a pump so that you can top up the diff periodically will take care of things.

If you used modern seals (instead of old NOS ones), you should be fine temperature wise...

1943ht

Oh yea, sure misspell a word or transpose a number on a grid coordinate during a call for fire .. and everyone is all over your case :oops:

So there I was in a restaurant waiting for a bud with my trusty M4 and my high-speed cell phone .. deciding that I'll just access SS with my handy dandy phone and post my question.. Big fingers and a very tiny key board are not a good combination .... of course the D and F keys are right next two each other LOL ..

Don't know what I was thinking .. of course, its way to simple, just pull the axles ..

Appreciate all the help and humor!

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I towed the M37 behind the deuce, I have lockout hubs on the front axle so that wasn't an issue, but for the tow out to Haspin in 2010, I removed the rear driveshaft. My top speed for the trip was 52 mph on the flat and level. If you don't have lockouts, and you ever choose to NOT use a dolly (i.e. both axles are on the pavement) then you will have to remove both driveshafts.

CGarbee

I should add, sine Madawg308 mentions it, that when flat towing M37's, I've either had front lockout hubs or have pulled the front driveshaft.
I'll also toss in the reminder to have good safety chains and a towing vehicle that can handle the 6,000lbs (roughly) that a M37 is (you have to be able to stop and control your load...).

Also, remember that the straps on a commercial tow dolly (like the ones from Uhaul) tend to be too short to go over the 900x16 tires that are stock on a M37...so you have to have your own straps to secure the truck...

Good luck, have fun, be safe.

zout

I disagree with all the above - what sacraglidge to have done all that hard work to look in your rear view mirror and see that hard work to be following you.

What a shame - as someone mentioned when you get to the rally expect at lease ONE critic.

That baby looks sweet - all your hard work an sweat - time - energy - maybe a few drafts shoved down to ease the day - all gone to waste.

BLAH.

(besides this - yup- pull axles and seal the holes and have a safe journey)
(trator)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks