• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Anyone here have a lathe?

Gunfreak25

Original deuce compressor has pitted cylinders and needs bearings, plus a new flywheel with a smaller belt groove. Replacements are $275 with postage.

I thought a York would work well because they are lightweight, cheap and bullet proof.
I've contacted Oasis air again to request additional info on the special 2 ring York's they stock.

I asked for ring type (compression or scraper type) and if the pistons they use are plain machined OEM ones or special cast with thicker heads, etc.

135gmc

The old 135/211 compressors were pretty tough, but when they're worn out, they probably aren't worth rebuilding. A York is an intersting idea. Many years ago, my first home compressor was a modified Copeland refrigeration conpressor. I plugged the hole between the compressor intake and the crankcase, then I built an oil separator for the crankcase vent so it wouldn't blow oil. Something like that might help the York.

I'm willing to bet that the pistons with the oil ring maching are the same basic piston - the GOTTCHA is small production runs, possibly even made-when-ordered

bearboley

Not sure why they want that much for a piston. Yorks where used on everything from peterbilts to ih tractors. New compressors without the clutch run about 350 and the clutch another 50. Cutting a ring groove is junior high metals class stuff. Take longer to chuck it up than to cut it , all you need is the ring use it for a go no gauge.

Gunfreak25

You are spot on 135gmc, they make them custom for Oasis Mfg, so it's on an as needed basis which keeps the cost high. I spoke with an engineer at Oasis Mfg today and was told the pistons are the same. The only difference for the "special" ones being that York machines the top compression ring higher up, and it is a thinner ring to make room for the oil scraper type ring below it.

crazywelder72

crazywelder72,

I haven't seen a round ram Bridgeport for 25+ years. What you need is a right angle spindle attachment for what you are trying to do on that axle shaft.
This was the first round ram (M Head) i ever saw. The previous owner kept all his machines in museum quality condition. I am lucky to have it.

I have seen those adapters, most are for gear cutting. Either way, I don't do enough jobs like this for me invest in that part.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Personally, I think you'd be better off to just replace the stock compressor. By the time you make a piston work, mount it, buy a pressure switch and other related parts to make it work, and cobble up a mount, $275 doesn't look too bad. Also, how are you planning on running the clutch? I'd think 24V would fry it.

turbovr6jetta

crazywelder72,

I haven't seen a round ram Bridgeport for 25+ years. What you need is a right angle spindle attachment for what you are trying to do on that axle shaft.
There was a right angle atachment on seattle craigslist for dirt cheap last week. But I dont have a bridgeport, yet. I was mill shopping when I found it

135gmc

That's a thought - it might be a lot easier to adapt a modern compressor, like one from an M35, than to build one. Also check out Haldex (used to be Midland) at http://www.haldex.com/en/North-America/ - they probably supply 90%+ of the compressors used on modern air brake equipped trucks. A truck junkyard might also be a good starting point. Some of them are fairly large capacity - I've seen a 35 CFM version used on a tow truck.

Gunfreak25

Haha, no problem fabricating what I need. I can do it all, already shoehorned in the 6.2L Diesel, 700r4, Np231, shortened the Np231 rear output myself, made a custom oil seal housing, moved the factory sprag transfer back 5". Still left to do is fab up alternator bracket, York bracket, custom Np231 mounts, extra OEM transfer brackets, radiator support housing, fan shroud, custom shift linkage to use the OEM shift tower, and fab up a support girdle that connects the shift tower to the 700r4.

Truck is setup for 24V with a large converter for any 12V item I need.

York is rated at 6.94 CFM at 1000rpm.
Deuce compressor is rated at 7.25 cfm at 1250 rpm.

I figure i've already gone through the trouble of updating the entire truck with a modern power train I should continue on by using a York. I like the York because they are small, light and the CFM output is a great match. I also have 2 spares I bought for $10 each.

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

Haven't forgotten about the york! Just been busy!

I was wondering if anyone could turn out a quick steel slug for me though. Only needs to be 3/8" thick and must be exactly 1.257" in diameter.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks