• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 250 belts

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well that isn't good news since I just ordered two of them from NAPA on my way home last night.

Valence

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just wanted to actually post my THANKS for doing this. I'm hoping to dive in and learn all about and REPAIR M816 wrecker this summer. It's just been sitting there since November.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Okay, all the belts went on today. The part numbers are in fact the ones in the thread posted by CGarbee and verified by me.

I was changing the alternator anyway and since I was missing a belt I put all 4 new ones on.

73M819 is correct, you DO NOT have to remove the fan or radiator. It was helpful to have the alternator off as it is easier to get to the adjuster. I highly recommend a cordless 1/4 inch impact on the adjuster. So freakin easy.

Gimpy got there in time for the hard part, putting the belts on the pulleys. Even with the bracket as slack as it would go the belts had to be lubed (antifreeze) to go on.

It took two of us and three pry bars for the fan belts.

Buttoned it all back up and the new alternator works (civi single wire) great and the belts are good and snug.

This may be just me but you are really wasting your money getting a so-called matched set of belts. Do you really think that two belts made to the same specs and put on a 44 year old truck aren't going to outlive the truck? My opinion, you may have a special engine that requires a matched set. A 44 year old Cummins 250 isn't it.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Pics of the new alternator and bracket please. How much did the bracket run you?
Unfortunately, quality control is still questionable from the source. We had to drill the mount's holes so they were square and the bolts would thread into the block.

Ajax MD

P/N: Car Quest 13A11p5
P/N: Car Quest 11A0915

may have been superseded. They don't come up in any Car Quest or affiliate parts search engine, or even Google. The only reference to these P/N's in Google, are to the threads on this forum.
NAPA P/N's still seem valid.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
P/N: Car Quest 13A11p5
P/N: Car Quest 11A0915

may have been superseded. They don't come up in any Car Quest or affiliate parts search engine, or even Google. The only reference to these P/N's in Google, are to the threads on this forum.
NAPA P/N's still seem valid.
Carquests are nearly out of business and replaced by advance auto parts.

Napa numbers are in the spreadsheet

Steering 259470
Water pump 2522525
Alternator is 257360
Main 2522401

All part numbers can be cross referenced at iso-group.com

Ajax MD

Yeah, I ended up going with NAPA for the belts. I need to email myself the spreadsheet. I can't access it from where I am, right now.

Thanks for the tip on iso-group, I'll try that. I've been trying to cross reference part numbers with mixed success with other cross reference sites. I can tell I'm doing something wrong because I use NAPA as my guide post and bounce the NAPA numbers I get, against any NAPA numbers posted in this forum. They don't match, so obviously I'm screwing something up.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yeah, I ended up going with NAPA for the belts. I need to email myself the spreadsheet. I can't access it from where I am, right now.

Thanks for the tip on iso-group, I'll try that. I've been trying to cross reference part numbers with mixed success with other cross reference sites. I can tell I'm doing something wrong because I use NAPA as my guide post and bounce the NAPA numbers I get, against any NAPA numbers posted in this forum. They don't match, so obviously I'm screwing something up.
download the google sheet app on your phone. and click the link on it thru the SS site thru your phone it will allow quick access.

There are not too many parts i have no been able to cross reference on these trucks.

162tcat

Just replaced the belts on my M817. I pulled the pump and installed new copper gasket on water pump. I could see rtv around mine so I know if I adjusted it would never reseal. It makes sense to replace all of the bells if you're in there. No reason to cheap out and trying to use anything because this is a fairly big project for a belt change.

Have anti seize and a new water pump gasket on hand. Might as well pull the pump to make sure it's in good condition and seal everything back up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Just replaced the belts on my M817. I pulled the pump and installed new copper gasket on water pump. I could see rtv around mine so I know if I adjusted it would never reseal. It makes sense to replace all of the bells if you're in there. No reason to cheap out and trying to use anything because this is a fairly big project for a belt change.

Have anti seize and a new water pump gasket on hand. Might as well pull the pump to make sure it's in good condition and seal everything back up.

I'll definitely be replacing all belts at once. Mine all show cracks and signs of age. My only fear about the project is encountering stuck water pump bolts. I'll be on my knees, prayin' to the Good Lawd that none of them snap off and require drilling out.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Carquests are nearly out of business and replaced by advance auto parts.

Napa numbers are in the spreadsheet

Steering 259470
Water pump 2522525
Alternator is 257360
Main 2522401

All part numbers can be cross referenced at iso-group.com
General Parts International Inc. ( Carquests parent company) was bought out by Advance Auto Parts Inc. in 2014 .

162tcat

I'll definitely be replacing all belts at once. Mine all show cracks and signs of age. My only fear about the project is encountering stuck water pump bolts. I'll be on my knees, prayin' to the Good Lawd that none of them snap off and require drilling out.
Shouldn't have any issues with rust, mine all came out fine. I would recommend replacing all six bolts and washers when you do it though. Some of my washers were a little bent up and the bolts had minor corrosion so it made sense to put new stuff in there while it was apart. Bolts are 3/8x1-3/4 fine thread and you'll need thick washers. The most important part is the thick washers, if you don't have a thick washer I don't think you'll have enough clamping force to hold the pump on tightly without bending the washers. I actually used 5/16 thick washers, they fit tightly on the bolts and appeared to be a better fit on the water pump as well. Don't forget the anti-seize. Good time to do a coolant change as well because you will at least lose a small amount of coolant. Unless you've done it recently, change it out with fresh green coolant and the proper SCA additives.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
General Parts International Inc. ( Carquests parent company) was bought out by Advance Auto Parts Inc. in 2014 .
There are still several carquest owned by independents that are still in business. I know of atleast 6 stores in Mississippi and atleast 3 in Montana. They do not cross with advance ap at all.

Ajax MD

Shouldn't have any issues with rust, mine all came out fine. I would recommend replacing all six bolts and washers when you do it though. Some of my washers were a little bent up and the bolts had minor corrosion so it made sense to put new stuff in there while it was apart. Bolts are 3/8x1-3/4 fine thread and you'll need thick washers. The most important part is the thick washers, if you don't have a thick washer I don't think you'll have enough clamping force to hold the pump on tightly without bending the washers. I actually used 5/16 thick washers, they fit tightly on the bolts and appeared to be a better fit on the water pump as well. Don't forget the anti-seize. Good time to do a coolant change as well because you will at least lose a small amount of coolant. Unless you've done it recently, change it out with fresh green coolant and the proper SCA additives.

Yes, the belts will be done in conjunction with a coolant flush and replacement as well as upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the surge tank hoses. My truck hasn't been serviced in over 8 years so I'm working my way through it all. Thanks for the info on the water pump bolts. Are Grade 8 bolts adequate or should I be using something stronger?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Yes, the belts will be done in conjunction with a coolant flush and replacement as well as upper and lower radiator hoses as well as the surge tank hoses. My truck hasn't been serviced in over 8 years so I'm working my way through it all. Thanks for the info on the water pump bolts. Are Grade 8 bolts adequate or should I be using something stronger?
Go with stainless if you can get it so in the event of 5yrs from now they wont be rusted dust again. Grade 5 is fine

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks