• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cummins 250 belts

biggen

fixing to change all the belt on the truck...cummins 250. what the best way to change out the belt ? it looks like i will have to remove everthing up front just to do it..(radiator, fan). any help.......i mean any would be great... thanks
P.s anyone know the sizes either?... just asking

CGarbee

For a NHC250 in a XM813, M817, or M816, or other M809 series truck...

Car Quest TR22425 Napa 2522425 Waterpump (1) belt
Car Quest 13A11p5 Napa 259470 Powersteering (2) belts
Car Quest TR22401 Napa 2522401 Main Drive (2) belts
Car Quest 11A0915 Napa 257360 Generator (2) belts

Remove the fan... Radiator can stay in place. :)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The belts can be put on without REMOVING the fan, just walk the belt on as you rotate the fan. the water pump needs to rotated to loosen and tighten the belt, think there are 6 bolts that tighten it down, back off the bolts then good luck

CGarbee

The belts can be put on without REMOVING the fan, just walk the belt on as you rotate the fan. the water pump needs to rotated to loosen and tighten the belt, think there are 6 bolts that tighten it down, back off the bolts then good luck
True, but I always find it a LOT easier to put the belts on and get everything tensioned without having the fan on...
I always hold me breath when rotating that water pump to get the belts tight... ;)

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The bad thing about the water pump, is most are NOT installed with a lot of anti seize, making then HARD to move, then after thay do move, the F---en things sometimes LEAK which now means you have to pull the water pump, install a new sealing ring. a bit of anti size sure saves a major hassle

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The trucks are the same from the cab forward. It doesn't matter what is behind the cab, the belts are all the same.
I have looked at the job, and it looks like an all day job. It is tight, and soldier b will be a big help. You do not have to remove the fan- it might help, but then, it also makes for more work.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I did all my coolant hoses at the same time I did the belts, with radiator drained, I just removed the radiator. Four bolts, the upper and lower shrouds and soldier B will do it. Having the radiator off makes it a lot easier.

biggen

well everything went great .. taking radiator to get clean....but the belt that goes to the water pump? and big pulley don't know how to take that one off . well easy way. ...thinking lossen pump pulley maybe? any ideas that could help with it?............thanks

Attachments

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Water pump housing is round but pump is off center making it eccentric. Back off those 6 bolts then use a small pry bar or screwdriver to insert in between pulley and groves on housing to rotate pump. You have to break the seal for it to rotate. think of a circle with an oval inside of it. The housing is the circle and the pump is the inner circle or oval.

Pulley is pressed on. Most likely distrubing the seal will cause it leak and pump will have to come off to change.

Major pia. Napa does stock the pump and gasket. Midland rw1174x. Gasket was $15, Pump $75. I chose to change the pump since it was the same amount of labor. Napa stocks the belt. 25-22425. It takes one the other groove is empty.

There are some oe belts on epay for the water pump that are nos military. I found that belt to be wider and a better quality than the gates/napa one search 22425.

Best of Luck. I did pull the fan, fan clutch and quarter radiator shroud to make it easier. Cooling system holds 47 qts and they will ALL leak out!

This was quite an ordeal and all day for my first time but now could do it faster with the experience learned.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Even with the pump loosened up and turned toward the accessory drive pulley, the belt will still be snug to get on. Don't fret. Just pull out the pump and slip the belt on it. Then reassemble. I reused the gasket and pump. The gasket is copper, I believe. Just make sure the gasket is clean and free of corrosion and pits. Also, ensure you tighten down the six bolts evenly using an alternating pattern. My pump leaked slightly, but only needed a little additional tightening. In the end it was a fairly easy job. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since I found I had a belt missing this week I decide to put a couple of new ones on my M813. Good luck finding a fan belt. Everyone calls them main drive belts. I could find no reference to a main drive belt but I did find the fan belts. They are just called belts in the table of contents.

After checking the manuals:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/809/TM9-2320-260-20.pdf
and
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/upload/809/TM9-2320-260-34P1.pdf

I decided to update the current part numbers with a more fitting description for the slow kids like ME.

There are 7 (yes seven) belts on an NHC-250 Cummins in a 5-ton M809 series truck.

Water pump belt (only one). It is the belt all the way towards the back of the accessory drive pulley. This belt goes from the accessory drive pulley to the water pump.

Sec II fig 89 item 1

Car Quest TR22425 Napa 2522425 Waterpump (1) belt

Power steering belts (yes, two). These are next two belts in front of the water pump belt. They go from the accessory drive to the power steering pump.

Sec II fig 219 item 7

Car Quest 13A11p5 Napa 259470 Powersteering (2) belts

Fan belts (yes, two). These are the last two belts on the front of the power steering belts. They run from the accessory drive pulley to the front two grooves on the 4-groove fan pulley.

Sec II fig 90 item 16

Car Quest TR22401 Napa 2522401 Fan (a.k.a. main drive belt) (2) belts

Alternator belts (yes, two). These are the back two belts in the fan pulley. They go from the fan pulley to the alternator pulley.

Sec II fig 91 item 10

Car Quest 11A0915 Napa 257360 Generator (2) belts

If there is a mistake by all means let me know and I will correct it.

Oh yeah, how did I find all this stuff? Take a guess.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You called me!

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just put all new belts on my m817. I could not no matter how I tried get the 2522401 belts on. That is with the fan and radiator removed. They were just too small. I put a set of old belts on that fit but the numbers are worn/faded off. I suppose I will take the 2522401 belt back and ask for the next size up.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks