• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

I have joined the CUCV crowd with an M880

sail-bum

I just acquired a 1977 M880 truck, in the ever wonderful Forestry Dept red. The price was right, but the truck needs about everything. My wife already thinks I am nuts, I want to park my 2011 Dodge truck and drive this in winter!

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not really a CUCV, although some do consider it in the same family as the M1008 series. I like the Dodges better though, but they will pass anything except a gas station. At 8 mpg, they aren't cheap to operate, but they are pretty rugged..

sail-bum

I am not sure why it has taken so long, but here is the rest of the story.

The bed was shot, so I purchased a 1990 parts truck and swapped the beds. The power steering was also donated from the 1990 Dodge. The truck was stripped of I swear 20 layers of paint, and then received a new coat of CARC. A new windshield, rear slider and all new body seals made it much nicer.

The brake system was replaced, yes the entire system from the master to the wheel cylinders. The axles were rebuilt, including the front hubs. Full tune up and it ran great.

A new front bumper was fabricated from 5” steel tubing, with a 1/2 inch wall thickness! A 10,000 winch was attached to that. Add a leaf’s brought the truck up to a nice height.

With all of that height, it needed better tires. I found a full set of up-armored Humvee wheels and tires, they fit and looked great!

The bad news, I hated the way it drove! My employees loved driving it and I hated it. Needless to say, I sold it.

Here are the pictures that were taken along the way.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks