• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

The "HOOD IN THE FACE" club

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not a hood fail, but I had my windshield ice over within a couple of seconds and blind me completely, while going downhill on an icy road at about 50 mph.
Coming down from the hill where I lived in Fairbanks, AK, heading in to the city in the winter the temperature difference was such that my windshield iced over just about instantly. Warm air would sit on top of cold air in a thermocline like effect. I was in a hurry early in the morning on the way to work, my '10 Dodge truck had warmed up just enough to clear the frost in the "warmer" (still probably about -15) at higher elevation, but when I hit the colder air the windshield fogged and froze up almost instantly. I slowed down gradually, couldnt pull over as the shoulder was piled with snow, drove mostly by memory and feel until I could pull off and clear it.* Like a hood fail without the damage- Driving blind is a horrible feeling.
My 5 ton hood is rusted heavily in a horizontal line right below the bars the spring latches grab. I never consider the possibility of the spring catch bar failure, or the hood latch failure. I think I need to bump the new hood or hood repair up the list of priorities. Good thread- thanks to the op for making us think about it.*

shankspony

Since I don't mind bringing shame to my family and I wanted to start a new club, I thought I would post what happened to me yesterday. I hope this will help everyone remember to check everything over good before you head out.
Joe
"Hood in the Face" club founder
Oh yes... my 1991 Ext Cab Step-side Chevy... I replaced the steel hood with fiberglass and neglected to transfer the safety catch. When I took it for a new bed cap, the tech must have pulled the wrong lever at some point (looking for emergency brake). When I left with my new cap on, somewhere near 40 mph the hood wobbled and folded through the windshield. I though I would have peed myself. I left 20-30 feet of black marks from the tires being locked up. That was one loud bang. The place I just left thought I t-boned someone.

Luckily no one hurt.

Always dot those Is and cross those Ts. :!:

whiskerz

Happened to me many years ago on my 73 Mach 1 , and once on a circle track car had a hood pin fail , the corner came up them the whole hood departed ways and sailed about 20 feet into the air

saddamsnightmare

September 20th, 2012.

YOU, Sir, are a very lucky man. It has not been unknown for a hood like that to pop the windshields and injure or kill the driver who made that particular mistake! The Pre-Trip inspection list can be a lifesaver!;) No doubt there will be some wiser dogs on here now!
At least on an S404.114 Unimog the hoods not big enough to be exciting when it pops![thumbzup]

gungearz

That's got to suck... Never had it happen to me but I have seen a few cars pulled off the side of the road with their hood wrapped around their roof. I like to make sure I do a pre trip. Especially if I hit the expressway but if I'm driving locally (usually under 3 miles) ill give it a quick tire kicking walk around.

bbs

I have been there myself. Driving down a 2 lane blacktop in a 79 ford Bronco the hood latch released when i hit a hole in the road, and Bam ace ventura style driving till i could pull over. Always double checked latches since then.

DodgerRoger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I guess I should apply for membership in this exclusive club, had it happen at the drag strip in an 88-91 crx when I shifted to 3rd. I was smokeing my buddy in his supercharged grandprix, needless to say he won that round. Cost a hood and windshield, I dont remember how fast the little car went coming out of 2nd but it was fast enough to make a racket.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks