• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Retired M925 Finds Home In Seattle Area

Recon Charlie Alpha

Unit = WQYRAA It took some digging and some parts are a bit sketchy, but what I have so far: She started life with 803rd Armor, then with 303rd Armor when they merged about 1993, time in Iraq (Camp Victory South - Baghdad) and Kuwait as tank support vehicle, then around 2005 assigned to Yakima training center with Troop E of 303rd cav (motto "Always in the lead") , until 303rd was reformed and absorbed into the 81st, then retired.[thumbzup] Now living a life of luxury in Issaquah, WA :cool:

Troop and equipment rosters found on board (underneath a battery in the batt box) substantiate the lineage.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bed refinish recommendations

My Bed was also not in great shape. I pressured washed it then I sanded the large rust scale popping up mostly in the front. Mine appeared to puddle the water in the front.

For paint, I used the rust o leum rusty metal brown oxide colored paint brushed on from Home Depot. 2 qts did the job for me. then I did 2 coats of durabake bed liner (1 gallon) rolled on with the texture grit as the bed is super slippery wet. It worked like a charm and the results look awesome. The color matched very close in sand but they also had od green. Good stuff and i was very happy with it. I did not have a compressor or paint gun and felt the bed would not matter if I did not use them. The special rollers from durabake did a great job

I am glad the stack worked out and enjoy your truck!

Take Care,

Juan

Recon Charlie Alpha

Hey Juan, great minds think alike :beer: I have some Durabak on order in OD Green and am set to pressure wash the bed this weekend.

While it looks bad it is only very surface rust, so may not need to sand it out, will see.

Interestingly, some sort of enclosure was bolted into the bed with silicone caulk around the edges. In the pic you can see some of the bolt holes through the bed and the caulk outline. I call them the auto drain featrue of the bed.:-D

The overall rust seems like classic salt water exposure and some of it I need to address real soon, like the driver side mirror bracket.
Im going to sand off the cab top this weekend and give that a once over rattle can job until I can get the custom color mixed up from our local paint shop, Rodda. Ill use the same rattle can job on the stack I bought from you and mount that also.

Having a wet summer here so far, but dry days are ahead.

I have some fabrication work ahead of me for the side rails, as those seem to be hard to find in my AO.

Thanks again for the smooth trans on that stack purchase!

By the way, your truck looks great!

Recon Charlie Alpha

Plated her and the little tag along today. Not historical plates though, too restrictive.

Now I need to fab up some sort of plate lamp for the rear plates. Anyone blazed that trail yet?

Also picked up my 1st gallon of CRC paint using the BEHR formula.

Will see how it comes out, pics to follow on that.

Thanks to those folks for sharing the fruits of their color sleuthing labor!

Amer-team

What retrictions tripped you up for the license? Went back and looked at them and unless you are using the truck as a daily driver or hauling commerically, it looks pretty open for me. Think I have 5 vehicles licensed that way and have not had any problems. The only thing that looks restictive is the load issue and they put it in the same sentence as the commerical,so that would imply that they are talking about commercial loads. I haul a load of brush to the recycle every once in awhile in the M715 and if anyone asks, you do need to circulate fluids and charge the batteries once in awhile.

Recon Charlie Alpha

No trip up, just my choice.

According to the DOL office in Seattle, with historical plates, you cant haul anything, nothing, nada, not even a can of gas.

And I plan on haulin....stuff....did so today matter of fact :beer:

So historical plates wont work for me.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RCA, that Ordnance Bomb was probably put on by the Mechanics while it was serving them. I seem to see that happen very commonly with Ordnance Corps guys. We tend to put the bomb on a lot of stuff. I even have a couple stencils for use later down the line.

While I do not know your end goal with the truck and paint, I would try to keep that or re-create it down the line.

Congrats on scoring a nice truck!

Recon Charlie Alpha

Thanks Bikeman. Thats a sweet M38 you have there, dont see many of them in such nice condition.

That makes sense as the unit was in service in Iraq with an arty unit.

I was struggling with how to retain the image after a repaint (and the rust demands paint), as it is part of the trucks history, so it belongs there.

Where could I find / source the stencils you mentioned?

Amer-team

RCA understood on the plating issue. I am surprised that they would even license a monster like that through a DOL office in Seattle. They must have had a stroke.

When I did the intial licensing on the M54, the difference between regular and historic plates was about 300 dollars. They wanted to get me for tonnage and I suggested that on historic vehicles they didn't pay tonnage. after a little research on their part, they agreed. So my fees went from 550 down to 250. They still have up to 30 days to change their minds and get you for something else, but after 30 days you are clear.

Anyway, you are on a path. Enjoy that truck. Happy 4th of July.

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RCA I got them from Home Page

But, I don't think he has anything in stock that is that size. I would recommend just taking a piece of posterboard or manila file folder, and making the stencil on that. use some tracing paper or something to get the size of the stencil off the truck, then transfer it to the Folder. The Ordnance Bomb is a very easy stencil as it doesn't have any intricacies or overlapping lines.

Bighurt

Note the fender emblem on the last pic, any ideas?
Fender emblem is ORDNANCE (OD)
We call it a piss pot.

You'll find it all over an ammo dump or on any of their coins.

RCA, that Ordnance Bomb was probably put on by the Mechanics while it was serving them. I seem to see that happen very commonly with Ordnance Corps guys. We tend to put the bomb on a lot of stuff. I even have a couple stencils for use later down the line.
We have stickers, use them to tag other units stuff as a practical joke. Of course ours always has a trefoil in the center.

Last edited:

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RCA, units, esp USAF units, will tag other units with their own unit sticker.

The emblem, in the Army, is not a practical joke. That'd be a point of pride for some Mechanics actually.

Recon Charlie Alpha

Thank you both and that web site cleared it up for me, thanks BigHurt for the link.[thumbzup]

Tracing paper should make it easy enough to copy it off and then put it back after paint.

As the unit was in Iraq with cav, as tank division support, it probably ( just a guess) hauled tank ammo, or some kind of ammo, hence the emblem. :driver:

Have a greath 4th tomorrow!

bikeman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RCA, it could also be maintenance, could have been their spare parts/runner truck/contact truck, work platform... The Army tries planning this stuff out all the time, but necessity overrides MTOE.

Have some fun :jumpin:

Recon Charlie Alpha

Update - New livery in progress

Here are some before, during and after shots. Just the forward cab done so far. Bumper done in Rodda brand and cab done in Behr brand, all the same color mix.

New livery will be U.S. Navy SeeBees.

Before Pics below.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks