• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to get two m220's running after a long rest

Gunfreak25

If your a good welder you can also cut open the bottom off the tank off after properly airing it out. Then power wash or sand blast the insides and weld the bottom back on. Saw it done on a few WWII MV trucks. Test with water for leaks and repair as necessary.

targhee trucks

The coated tanks I drained, took off the truck, removed the pumps, and strapped in the back of my daily driven pick up. Oh yea, I put 2 gallons of Toluene in them and drove (sloshed) around last winter for 2 days. Then disposed of it properly at a body shop. Clean as a whistle. Toluol may be the other name for it. It is an industrial paint thinner. Used to be in old carb cleaners a few years back.
Sounds like a good solution. Here are a couple of notes I found on wikipedia:

Toluene is a common solvent, able to dissolve paints, paint thinners, silicone sealants,[9] many chemical reactants, rubber, printing ink, adhesives (glues), lacquers, leather tanners, and disinfectants.

Toluene can be used as an octane booster in gasoline fuels used in internal combustion engines. Toluene at 86% by volume fueled all the turbo Formula 1 teams in the 1980s, first pioneered by the Honda team. The remaining 14% was a "filler" of n-heptane, to reduce the octane to meet Formula 1 fuel restrictions. Toluene at 100% can be used as a fuel for both two-stroke and four-stroke engines; however, due to the density of the fuel and other factors, the fuel does not vaporize easily unless preheated to 70 degrees Celsius (Honda accomplished this in their Formula 1 cars by routing the fuel lines through the muffler system to heat the fuel). Toluene also poses similar problems as alcohol fuels, as it eats through standard rubber fuel lines and has no lubricating properties, as standard gasoline does,[citation needed] which can break down fuel pumps and cause upper cylinder bore wear.

Toluene had also been used in the process of removing the cocaine from coca leaves in the production of Coca-Cola syrup

targhee trucks

I want to see it. I need to see it.
I still prefer the look of the original military inst. panel, but the Boyce panel is actually a clean looking unit. Nicely done. And wait until you see the "hand crafted" defroster. Definitely the work of someone more focused on function than fashion.

I may be able to run out there and get some pics for you later today.

(Edit: I just put them on the Boyce Reman thread)

Jack

Last edited:

targhee trucks

Manuals?

I see that TM9-8024 and TO36A12-1B-321 are the books to have.

Downloads are okay, but I prefer hard copies.

Anyone have a link to a download? I didn't see any in the Resources section.

Good source for hard copy?

Thanks,

Jack

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And wait until you see the "hand crafted" defroster. Definitely the work of someone more focused on function than fashion.
Jack
Look under the dash. There may be a duct that hose should fit on. I'll try to find a pic.

Found the pics. Go to the "Hardtops and heater" thread post #4.

Also, I cannot tell if your dash has the vent slots just below the windshield or if they were covered by the new dash.

Last edited:

targhee trucks

Look under the dash. There may be a duct that hose should fit on. I'll try to find a pic.

Found the pics. Go to the "Hardtops and heater" thread post #4.

Also, I cannot tell if your dash has the vent slots just below the windshield or if they were covered by the new dash.
My recollection is that the fiberglass dash curves around the top of the original dash, so the vents may be covered, I'll check for them and the duct under the dash when I go out there tomorrow.

"Hardtops" thread post #4: same heater, thanks for mentioning the post.

Jack

targhee trucks

M220 #1 turned over this morning

With the help of two old and mostly worn out batteries, M220 #1 turned over this morning for the first time in over 30 years.

No smoke, sparks or flames in any wires. The engine turned over slowly, but it turned. Gauges worked too.

So, now we need some new batteries to see if we can get it started.

What size do you recommend?

Jack

Last edited:

Gunfreak25

No, any standard pickup truck batteries will do. It's just a little 302 with a 6:1 compression. 24V also spins them over quuuuick.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let me clarify- If you are trying to start these after sitting for a long time, get some large batteries with lots of cca. That way, you can crank it numerous times for extended periods while you tinker with it to get it running right. Sucks getting so close to something finally popping to life, only to have the stinking batteries be too weak after all the pre-work cranking you did.

Otherwise GunFreak is right, you SHOULDN'T need that large a battery to roll them over.

targhee trucks

Okay, thanks.

It's 11 inches between the battery hold down bolts, so I'll get the stoutest battery I can find that is no longer than that.

Jack

targhee trucks

M220 one cleaned out.jpg

After getting the engines in both trucks to turn over today it was time to do some serious cleaning in the cabs. They were both full of decades of dirt, trash and other debris. Here's the after picture.

Gunfreak25

I did the same thing to mine when I got it. You might be a redneck if you have to powerwash the inside of your cab. :D

targhee trucks

I did the same thing to mine when I got it. You might be a redneck if you have to powerwash the inside of your cab. :D
Ha! lol! Maybe not full-blooded, but definite tendencies in that direction. Every time I drive my M38A1 across the front lawn to get it into the back yard and park it next to the other two Jeeps under Costco tarps I figure the neighbors are thinking the same thing. :grin:

targhee trucks

Well Gunfreak says poop on you. I did not get my Boyce truck dash pics. :evil:
Oh yes you did. Go to post #63 dated June 16 in this thread. I made a special trip out to the trucks on Saturday night to take the pics (got eaten up by mosquitos) and posted them in the Boyce Reman thread. See post #20 in that thread.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks