• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Trying to get two m220's running after a long rest

targhee trucks

Started thread on M35A2

I've started a thread on the 1966 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 in the Deuce forum. Take a look if interested. Hoping to get started working on it next week.

targhee trucks

Spare parts

My son-in-law's dad was an excellent gatherer of things he might need in the future, so I wasn't surprised the other day when I looked up on some shelves in the shop and saw some shapes I recognized.

M220 spare parts.jpg

Two Holley carbs w/ governors, one inst. panel w/ gauges, one oil filter canister, one air filter canister, one 24V starter, one 24V generator, and one 24V regulator.

I have a feeling there may be more. Just have to keep looking.

Jack

Gunfreak25

I never bothered noticing the 302 oil filter canister. How does it hook up to the engine? Plain hydraulic fittings? You've got a few hundred bucks in parts there.

targhee trucks

I never bothered noticing the 302 oil filter canister. How does it hook up to the engine? Plain hydraulic fittings? You've got a few hundred bucks in parts there.
I haven't paid much attention to it yet either, but I think it attaches to the engine w/ a couple of metal lines, one in from the engine, one back out to the engine.

Here's an engine picture, you can see part of the filter mounted to the fender.

M220 engine.jpg

Yeah, we got lucky on those parts. Nice to have those things on the shelf if needed.

targhee trucks

Got a few pops, but not running yet

Only had a little "truck time" today. M220 #1 gave a few weak pops this morning, but refused to start. 2 new batteries. Has spark, but doesn't look too strong. Going to clean up the points and pull the plugs out of the M38A1 to give them a try.

Also, the history of the two M220's is changing. Son-in-law spoke w/ a family member over the weekend who was working on the farm when the trucks were purchased. He said they were the first of the 5 military trucks to be purchased. He thought they were purchased from a small dealer in the Idaho Falls area. He said they arrived with the automatic transmissions still in them. Son-in-law's dad and others put the manual transmissions and transfers in. No info on where the auto trans are now. So it looks like they may not be Boyce trucks. We'll see . . .?

The two blue Boyce trucks were purchased at some point after the M220's. The last one purchased was the '66 Kaiser Jeep M35A2. Not sure yet where that came from.

Edit: oh yeah, and found another GMC 302 engine! It's sitting in one of the sheds, resting on the front crank pulley, too heavy to move by myself so I couldn't tell if it's free or frozen. Has a rebuild tag on the side from 1963, crank standard, pistons 20 over. No carb, generator, etc., so I'm wondering if the parts I found in the shop are off this engine.

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No bang

I'm just glad you didn't find a jeep too. Havin' a tough time keeping up to the five trucks, spare parts and now a spare engine. Lucky guy.

Really appreciate you sharing the adventure.

The fuel line also has a 'micro-filter' right where it hooks up to the carb. You may have been there already but if not it's one more area to look at. Even after a tank purge my carb filter slowly plugged again and gave my girl some strange symptoms.
It would be nice to know what the 'out-put' pressure of the fuel pump is. It's more of a trickle then a flow at 2-3 psi.

I also replaced the points/capacitors (4) in the distributor and the one that came with the 'point assembly' did not work. All new parts in the dist' and she's turn over all day long without banging. I did what you're doing and cleaned up the old points/ capacitor, gave them back to her and she ran great.

Let us know what you find and give a whistle if you need a hand. :whistle:

targhee trucks

I'm just glad you didn't find a jeep too. Havin' a tough time keeping up to the five trucks, spare parts and now a spare engine. Lucky guy.
Jeep? Our A1 quit running a couple of weeks ago, we got it up on the trailer and it's been there ever since. I've been using my time to work on the trucks. But I'm missing the Jeep so I'm taking tomorrow morning off from the trucks to see if I can get it running. Found a broken advance spring when I pulled the top of the dist. None available from the usual suppliers, so we're going to try to find a set that match the original still in the dist.

Jeep A1 on trailer.jpg

Lucky? Absolutely! And it's been great to get advice and support from you and the others here too.

Micro-filter? Yup, found that one the hard way last week. Pulled the fuel line and the filter and spring fell into the thick grass under the truck. Spent 30 minutes crawling around before I found them.

Spent most of yesterday moving sprinkler pipe and working on the ditch. Had a little time in the morning, tried to start it by having someone crank it while I squirted gas into carb. No go. On my own today so I used the time I had to replace some of the plugs and plug wires with some better looking ones from the spare engine I found yesterday. Plugs in the spare engine looked almost new. I need to hook up that gravity feed tank that hendersond suggested. Points looked okay. Seems like capacitors and coils are always questionable. But it's got spark. Ignition work is not my strong suit so I usually stumble my way through it.

Checked M220 #2 today, engine still frozen. Checking it once a week.

Jack

Last edited:

targhee trucks

Well, no progress to report on M220 #1, still tinkering with the ignition and wondering if there's a blockage in the carb. Also, spending a lot of time helping out on the farm. But the A1 is back on the road again. Both advance springs in the dist were gone, local mechanic replaced them with springs from a Briggs and Stratton lawn mower ignition kit :smile:. It's running better than it has in the 3 years we've owned it!

M38A1 with 2 M trucks.jpg

targhee trucks

Update

First, a good Independence Day to all! The little town (pop. less than 1,000) where we're staying does a great job of celebrating this day: pancake breakfast, parade on Main Street, town fair in the park, cookouts and fireworks.

M220#1: still no go. I haven't started using my "best words" on it yet, but I'm close. Has spark, timing is good, starter turns over nicely. I get an occasional very weak "pop" but nothing to get excited over. Need to recharge batteries again today, also need to check compression. Looking at Troubleshooting section in TM9-8024 and wondering about leaking gaskets or valve adjustment. We'll see . . .

M220#2: talked to a family member who told me that son-in-law's dad told him that it "didn't run". No specific info on that. Engine still frozen. This one may end up being a parts truck.

Jack

Last edited:

targhee trucks

Compression: not good

Checked the compression in M220 #1 today, 0 - 60 pounds dry, no significant improvement wet. :(

Checked with a local machine shop, gave me a range of $200 - $400 to do a valve job. Need to check with son-in-law to see how he wants to proceed.

Jack

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
G749 302 Compression

It must have been compression test day.

We just finished looking at my 302.

#1 - 110
#2 - 105
#3 - 90
#4 - 110
#5 - 100
#6 - 95

#3 exhaust valve was a little tight as well which apparently means the valve is
beginning to wear into the seat. We made adjustments to the following specs:

Valve Lash: Intake, 0.012
Exhaust, 0.020

If you decide to do the head you'll need a gasket set, beverages and band-aids so add a little to the budget.

Do you have a swapper/ donor motor?

I put up a picture so you know we're ready to twist wrenches until she's done.

Attachments

targhee trucks

It must have been compression test day.
Yeah, I wish I'd found the same results you did. I probably should have checked compression sooner, but I was so confident it was going to start up with just some ignition work that I blew right by that one. Oh well . . .

Good photo, sitting in the engine compartment! I'm accustomed to working on things that I can reach while standing on the ground, I'm amazed at how many times I climb up and down on the bumper and fenders. Need to do a better job of deciding what I need BEFORE I climb up! :)

targhee trucks

I'm so confused.

This has the original 6 cyl 302 not the V8 350 right?
Yes.

I hear you! I have to stop sometimes and sort them out myself. Here's a quick rundown on what I'm working on and what I call it:

M220#1 - original 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual trans, engine is free but compression is almost non-existent, needs valve job, clutch master cylinder locked up, unsure about brakes

M220#2 - original 6 cylinder, 5 speed manual, engine is frozen, put ATF + PB Blaster in cylinders, checking each week, clutch master cylinder locked up, unsure about brakes

Boyce #1 - can't read serial number on frame, chevy 350, 5 speed manual, engine runs nicely, clutch and trans shifting, we've driven this one around a bit, needs brake work

Boyce #2 - M211 serial number on frame, small block (?), this is the chassis with no bed on the back, it's been picked apart pretty good, I've listed the tilt hood and dash for sale in the classifieds

M35A2 - "the truck in the trees" - non-turbo multifuel, 5 speed manual, currently trying to understand the electrical system, has 12V alternator and "series/parallel" switch installed, hooked up batteries for first time yesterday and got pretty sparks when I touched the final ground wire to battery post.

Last edited:

targhee trucks

If you decide to do the head you'll need a gasket set, beverages and band-aids so add a little to the budget.

Do you have a swapper/ donor motor?
Gasket set: I'll hunt one down

Beverages: strictly water and diet coke during the day, an occasional cold beer after work is always good :beer:

Band-aids: my hands cut and bleed easily so I wear gloves as often as I can, I've got band-aids stashed in my pockets, tool box, glove box, etc.

Donor motor: I have two other motors besides the one in the truck, one in M220#2 and one in the shed, but they're both frozen up, I've been robbing ignition parts off the one in the shed.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks