• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

An American Deuce in Canada

The King Machine

Hows it goin eh? Well, fellow MV lovers, this canuk just purchased a deuce. I had an 850 mile trip to bring her home and had only 2 issues, I am looking for advice and help with the first one cause I know how to resolve my second issue. About a little less than half way home after stopping for fuel, I noticed an excessive amount of oil around the right side of the truck. Checking the oil, the level showed about 3 inches above the full mark. Oil pressure was running a constant 95-100 psi through the whole trip. other than that It ran great. so when I got home, the whole right side of the engine, wheel well, batteries, battery box, and pretty much all of the running gear was soaked with oil. Question, should I be worried and where do I go from here? what can I clean this mess up with? My second issue was the heat in the cab, it was hotter than a jalapeño ranch farmers breakfast in that cab.....and the lack of belly room did not help much either.
I've never had a leak that bad on my truck, sounds like the fan air maybe blowing oil all over the place. Check to make sure it's oil first, then wash it down. The turbo uses oil so be sure there is not a leak there.
I have an oil leak, on the left side of the truck but not like you describe. Mine drips down onto the axle from behind the fuel filters.

The King Machine

Hi there Sparragh. Fellow Canadian here. As for the heat in the cab, that is par for the course. When I used to drive a deuce for the army in the summer, I would had both floor vents open, both front windshields open about 3 inches, both door windows down and the back wall window open. Even with all the air flow, It still would be hotter than a snakes belly in Death Valley. This is because the heat from the engine gets transferred directly to the floor boards and the firewall, thus into the cab. To help cool it down, some have been known to insulate the floor and firewall with spray on foam or custom thermal mats that extend up on the fire wall. For now, get the maximum air flow in the cab during warm weather and drink plenty of fluids.

Cheers!
850 miles will learn you good about how these trucks are not meant for comfort. Oboy is right about the heat, it's just part of the deal

The King Machine

Ok so I ended the service life of my winch. I don't have the drum lock, so I leave my winch engaged to the PTO on the bumper handle to avoid it unspooling on the drum (mistake)
Now I know why, somehow the PTO engaged while in some fairly harsh off road operations. The shear pin didn't do it's job

The following footage may be graphic to some viewers.

http://youtu.be/XzTWJXmUemk

Attachments

bigginstactical

That freakin sucks!
ok so i ended the service life of my winch. I don't have the drum lock, so i leave my winch engaged to the pto on the bumper handle to avoid it unspooling on the drum (mistake)
now i know why, somehow the pto engaged while in some fairly harsh off road operations. The shear pin didn't do it's job

the following footage may be graphic to some viewers.

http://youtu.be/xztwjxmuemk

The King Machine

Getting it done.

It does suck, I'm thankful I have a spare winch case. So hoping the gears inside are still alive I will gut it and swap the case. I had a real good time with some friends flexing some military muscle. Breaking stuff is just part of the deal.

:D

Attachments

The King Machine

RTI the deuce

Trying to balance a 14 000 lbs truck on a 12 inch diameter log is harder than it looks. Add limited space and no power steering....................that's what I call a party. I scored pretty good.:D

Attachments

The King Machine

Some times you need to giver.

I started tearing into the truck

I repacked the wheel bearings, adjusted the breaks, fixed some metal damage from the last outing. Made up an air down and fill up attachment to speed the process up. I can air and deflate 2 tires at one time. Attached a gauge after the ball valve to give me the tire pressures on the 2 tires I'm filling. Also line pressure during inflation. I also added 4 more focused LED light fixtures to the front grill assembly I fabricated. The light output at night is very impressive. With a flick of a switch I can almost turn night into day. Bought a new in tank lift pump off of a fellow SS member. Mine was done for. The new one I installed was of the newer style so a little wiring modification was needed. I also added an extra ground cable to the pump.

One issue however, I feel it may be related to the recent lift pump change. It appears I have a ticking or a light knock on the top end. Using the old screw driver to the ear test I found the fourth injector or the valve assembly behind it has a pronounced tick. Off the top I'm thing valve lash or possibly air trapped in the fuel line? I purged the air out of the fuel system according to the TM spec. but maybe I missed something.
I'm going to do some digging tomorrow on my lunch break. Can't have the deuce down, I have an off road trail clean up to go to.

Up until now the truck has been running good. This Fall/winter she will be brought into the shop and have a good going over. Air shift t-case, air assist steering, Head gaskets, Installation of the rebuilt winch. Perhaps I'll push it to the limit, I might even throw a locker or 2 in there or maybe the some custom under body armor. Sky is the limit for this truck

This past weekend I got the call that we had a man down, because of terrain a tow truck was a no go. Any further down the slope and that Rover would be flopped over in about 3 feet of water. Only the deuce could get the job done with such ease. Ok maybe a UNI MOG could have done it......but they are too German. Aired the tires down to almost nothing in the back, about 10 psi in the front and went in. Sandy loose terrain, narrow dykes with soft shoulders. A spotter helped me get in to position. A Willy's jeep showed up to help. He used his winch to keep the Rover up right, while the deuce did the grunt work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BcHiyTsB8zI&list=TLt2ZBF2CE1ew

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great adventures, thanks for taking us along. I need to ask where the pics were taken? We can smell the ocean but can't figure out if that is Delta sand, near White Rock or somewhere else. Beautiful country, I visit often but never enough.

You have such an opportunity for photo backdrops with ocean, mountains, gigantic trees, the truck then west coast girls up front. Thanks for sharing and lets hope the Tick goes away with some miles. A few pics 45 degrees up a mountain and in the ocean would save me plane fare.:beer:

The King Machine

Thanks plowboy,

I cracked the fuel line at the number 3 injector and the noise went away. So I'd say the injector has an issue

You guessed right that is Delta sand, it's a local off road play ground called Triangle beach.

saddamsnightmare

September 22nd, 2013.

The King Machine:

Good luck on the 6X6, but I wouldn't antagonize the Unimog owners too much, there may be a day when you are seriously stuck in the outback, and it might just be two Unimogs to get your tail outta the crack. The problem with these trucks is that they can take you to places where, when you are stuck or broken down, no regular wreckers gonna come to get you out.... Just based on what I have seen. I've owned an M35A2 (which I miss) and a Unimog, and for most jobs the Unimog works much better and is less likely to stick. If you really wanted to ruin their days up there, just buy an Alvis Stalwart, but then you can't drive them on the road as they are too big and the drive train's too primitive.

Stay Safe!

The King Machine

Ah me and a few UNIMOG guys are pretty good friends. I rib them cause they paid double or triple what I did for mine and little girls can drive the newer models lol.

Off road we are all on the same team.

WreckerRay sold me his s-250 shelter. It arrived at work a couple days ago. I've got her in the back of the deuce for temporary winter hunting shelter. It will end up in my M105 trailer soon enough.

Attachments

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Full size sleeping accommodations and still room for 2 moose on the deck, yes sir some boys will be jealous. How would you get a moose on the back? Even Bullwinkle would have a hard time.

I have a slightly soot covered 2 1/2 ton electric crane I tore off a dump deck I bought. Do you need a hoist to get fat guys on the deck?

Keep those bush pictures comin' man.

The King Machine

Took the truck out on another trip into the Canadian wilderness on the remembrance day long weekend Nov. 11.
I decided I would do something different this year. Instead of heading over to the cenotaph.
I went camping.
A few minutes before 11:00 am I fired the deuce up to charge her air tanks. Then at 10:59:50 she let out a mighty 10 second roar from her air horns. Followed by engine shut down and one minute of silence to remember fallen heroes.
The horn echoed off the valley, then just the sound of the lake and fire burning.
Nobody around for miles. Just me, my girl, and the deuce.
I must say I was humbled and felt lucky to be able to enjoy such things.

I bought some new tires and 2 rims for my M105 trailer.

Got hit by a real cold snap up here. The deuce didn't want to warm up, I had to throw a pc of cardboard over the rad.
You know its cold when the faster you go the more the engine temperature gauge drops.Also we build our fires larger when its cold.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks