• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Military tents?

michigan4x4

Lots of good info here. Thanks guys. Thanks Speddmon. I am wondering how available the liners are for the 16x16 tent? To be honest, the 16x16 is about perfect size for my hunting party of 4 guys (whitetail camp) or 2 guys and a German Shorthair pointer for Grouse season. Time to start researching this on the internet. If I have any other questions I will let you know. Stonepicker, where is the Harspin (sp) Rally?

Thanks again..

Stonepicker1

Lots of good info here. Thanks guys. Thanks Speddmon. I am wondering how available the liners are for the 16x16 tent? To be honest, the 16x16 is about perfect size for my hunting party of 4 guys (whitetail camp) or 2 guys and a German Shorthair pointer for Grouse season. Time to start researching this on the internet. If I have any other questions I will let you know. Stonepicker, where is the Harspin (sp) Rally?

Thanks again..
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/steel-soldiers-rally/82268-2012-haspin-info-dates-attendance.html

michigan4x4

Does anyone know what stove is suited for the 16x16 Expandable frame tent? Is there a standard issue stove set that is supposed to be used in these tents. If I do end up going the 16x16 route, I would want the proper stove to go with the tent. Also, whatever stove it is, needs to keep me warm down to below -0 temps.

Thanks

michigan4x4

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have one of the Hunter Space Heater Arctic (SHA) stoves. Liquid fuel fired, or wood or coal, and totally self contained. The flue pipes are nested pipes and fit inside the stove for easy transport and storage. I would think that would be plenty big enough for a 16 x 16. They get HOT.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Move south to GA, I grew up in Michigan and went to school at Tech in houghton/ hancock. Many cold winter nights out camping in the endless winter of the keweena peninsula. I do not miss the 300 inches of snow per year on average :)

Stonepicker1

Does anyone know what stove is suited for the 16x16 Expandable frame tent? Is there a standard issue stove set that is supposed to be used in these tents. If I do end up going the 16x16 route, I would want the proper stove to go with the tent. Also, whatever stove it is, needs to keep me warm down to below -0 temps.

Thanks
I will bring a New, Hunter Space Heater Arctic to the rally. NSN: 4520-01-444-2375. Heat range from 15,000 to 25,000 BTU/hour. It is designed to be used in small to medium size shelters in moderate to arctic conditions,. The SHA operates with various types of liquid or solid fuel.
Comes with TM 10-4520-261-12&P...I was saving it for myself...but I just don't see me using it here in south Florida.:p

Not sure on price yet.
I'm also trying to bring a used 16x16 frame.

michigan4x4

Swiss... I couldn't deal with the heat of Georgia!! It is 93 degrees here in MI today and it is killing me. Plus I like the 4 distinct seasons we have here in MI. Even with a terrible economy, I doubt I will ever leave.

Stonepicker... Yeah.. again, I am not sure if I will be able to make it to the rally. Would LOVE to go, have never been to one, but I just don't think it is in the cards this time around.

Rogersn67... I have not ruled out the Artic tents, however, I am looking for something similar to a wall tent. I don't prefer the Pyramid or dome style.

****Another question for the tent experts. Other than size, does anyone know the major difference between a "Temper expandable modular tent" and the "Frame type tent, General purpose, 16x16"? I do realize the Temper tents are 20 feet wide and can be expanded to something like 96 feet. I also realized from looking at photos that the Temper tents I have seen have a rain fly that sits above the tent. Does the 16x16 also have a NSN fly? Any other differences?

Thanks
Jeff

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a question for all you tent experts. So Jeff gets his tent and puts a heater in it. Does the air turn over enough in one of those tents enough to keep from dying from CO poisoning?

Do you put a CO detector in them when using a burning anything inside?

I may have been colder than a well digger's butt last year at the GA Rally but I didn't have to worry about CO.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your just asking for trouble or to die if your not running a CO meter AND a heater. Sounds stupid, and I know the military doesnt do it, but is the cost savings of $20 to buy a meter really worth killing everyone over?

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Temper arches come in 3 pieces to make the 20'span, 16' arches are one piece. The purlins and arch headers are the same for both tents. Tempers skins come in 8' sections and most have a stove jack. 16's skins only come in 16' sections with 1 stove jack
Some of the early 16's leaked so they were recalled and a water proof lines was bonded to the inside, you can tell if this was done as the inside will either be black or white.
I do not know of a issue fly for a 16 but I have modified temper fly's to work.

michigan4x4

I have a question for all you tent experts. So Jeff gets his tent and puts a heater in it. Does the air turn over enough in one of those tents enough to keep from dying from CO poisoning?

Do you put a CO detector in them when using a burning anything inside?

I may have been colder than a well digger's butt last year at the GA Rally but I didn't have to worry about CO.

Mine will have a CO detector, smoke detector, and fire extinguishers on the inside and outside as long as the stove is going. I almost Lost my life last year in a wall tent fire. I say "almost" because I was not in the tent when the tent caught fire. I was 200 yrds away gathering firewood. Both fire extinguishers that we had were inside the tent and burned up with it. Other than war, there is nothing like trying to avoid shrapnel from 1lb propane canisters exploding and high power rifle rounds going off while you try and keep a national forest from burning down. Not fun.

I have used a Outfitters canvas wall tent for years without issue of CO or fire. As I sit here writing this, I still don't know why the fire happened and what caught fire. We were using a small wood burning stove inside a 14x17 canvas wall tent. The canvas was treated with a "fire retardant" yet didn't help much when exposed to open flame. I think it is meant for sparks and such. Had I been passed out drunk in the tent, I probably wouldn't be here.

You guys probably think I am crazy for wanting to sleep in a tent with a heater in it again, but I love hunting and love hunting from a traditional "deer camp" tent with friends and family. It is "what we do" up here in MI. Heck, Schools close in the upper Penninsula for the whitetail opener!

I will say that the stoves the mil uses that burn liquid fuels scare me more than a traditional wood burner even when considering my experience with a wood burner and canvas tent. Something about raw liquid fuel and a stove doesn't sit well with me.

So, any one that is reading this.... spend a few extra bucks for two fire extinguishers, a smoke detector (if using a wood burner) and definitely a good CO detector if using any other heat source.

I lost $10,000.00 in hunting gear, tent, sleeping equipment, Iphone, Camera cot etc... I will not be making the same mistake twice. My M101a2 trailer was also parked next to the tent and I actually pulled it (by hand) away from the fire. Lost 1 reflector and the GMA cover (melted) which I am still trying to find somewhere. Having a real hard time finding the cover.

MWMULES...Thanks for the response. That makes sense.

Jeff

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw a TEMPER tent catch fire when I was at NTC. Not good. No one got hurt, but alot of gear was lost. Fire extingishers are a must have.

michigan4x4

Bringing this one back.....

Ok.. So I am set on getting either a Newer style temper tent or a 16x16 expandable frame tent. Having never seen either up close, can anyone tell me the differences between the newer Vinyl tents (Or whatever material they are "Vinyl-like") and the older canvas tents. Based on experience, I know Canvas is pretty tough, can rot rather easily if not dried completely, and BREATHES well. Again, my main concern with the newer Vinyl style tents is their ability to breath. I really dont want to sink a bunch of money into a tent and frame so that I can be drenched in condensation every night I sleep in it. Yet i doubt the military would have switched from canvas to vinyl without some good reason.

Who has slept in the newer style Vinyl tents? If you have, any problems with condensation? I plan on using a regular old tarp for a floor and possibly some indoor outdoor carpeting in the sleeping area.

I know that speddmon touched on this issue earlier in the thread, just looking for some more opinions. I get that vinyl doesn't breath at all, so why did the mil switch from using canvas to vinyl?

Jeff

Last edited:

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Winter camping the liner is a must, one year we forgot 8' of it and at the corner were the roof and wall met water would be dripping where the liner was no problem. The tent was 32'long, 24' dry 8' dripping. Good thing about vinyl is if you have to pack up and it's been snowing or ice you can sweep or knock it off and with canvass moisture is locked in and can make for a pretty heavy tent to pack out.
You can get 2 different floors for the temper one insulated and bulky, 2nd is just thin tough vinyl. Used both but now only use the latter as it takes up less room in the trailer. They are 20X8 and Velcro together. Our stove sits up on fire bricks with a sheet of tread plate under it so we don't melt or catch flooring on fire. Dry chem 10lb Fire ext by stove and one 25 C02 outside each door.

michigan4x4

Winter camping the liner is a must, one year we forgot 8' of it and at the corner were the roof and wall met water would be dripping where the liner was no problem. The tent was 32'long, 24' dry 8' dripping. Good thing about vinyl is if you have to pack up and it's been snowing or ice you can sweep or knock it off and with canvass moisture is locked in and can make for a pretty heavy tent to pack out.
You can get 2 different floors for the temper one insulated and bulky, 2nd is just thin tough vinyl. Used both but now only use the latter as it takes up less room in the trailer. They are 20X8 and Velcro together. Our stove sits up on fire bricks with a sheet of tread plate under it so we don't melt or catch flooring on fire. Dry chem 10lb Fire ext by stove and one 25 C02 outside each door.
You wouldn't happen to have pictures of your setup would you? Be nice to see it. I will definitely get the liner then.. And maybe look at something like this for a floor.
8 x 12 Olive Drab Temper Tent Tarp 8x12 - Military Tent Tarps

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Can't find many, this was on a warm year. Camp is kept in trailer. The pictures are with the insulated floor. Notice in pic 7 fire ext outside door, also in 5&6 it was before the trailer and we forgot an arch so rigged the last section with poles! It was a dry year so in pic8 we rigged the fly off to the side and put kitchen outside. We have had years we we started Thursday in shorts and Sunday were in arctic gear. BTW if you get a temper get window sections, you can leave 2 laced together. In pic3 the third section is a door section adds about 40 lbs to a section.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks