• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-214?

Welder Sam

You got it looking good! This hot weather has me working like a dog too. Looks like you had some good help helping you.
I did indeed. They just showed up to boot! Wasnt planning to do the lift till sunday. When ya get help, gotta run with it!!

What do you have going down there?

Thanks for the compliment. Did more painting tonight. Got some more to do tomorrow. Then mudflaps go back on. After that, im going to put the other 6 395's together for the 109 and swap the 9.00's on to the trailer. Guess ill weld the 2nd spare carrier on the passenger side. Yep. Plan to carry 2 spares. Ac should start to go in next week. Imagine there will be some fab work in fitting a 12k unit to the small window. As long as its dry, work will continue

rebel_raider

Looks like it's gonna stay dry for a while. At least down here anyway. Work is pretty prevalent for me this time of year. Have to sneak in some clutch changing time when I can.

Welder Sam

heres the basic look. i still have to do the a/c, front rack, and rear fold down patio. i imagine the latter to be a bit of a pain to fold up as im not looking to use a hoist for lifting/lowering. no support legs are planned at this point. will have to see how it acts real world instead of just in my noggin. im looking at the basic theory of a reciever hitch with a 3 pin set up. the belly of the stationary outer tube (say 3"x3"x3/16" sq) will be cut out to form a c-channel with a pivot pin hole and a lock pin near the rear. there will also be a 1/4" or 3/8" plate that the pivot pin feeds thru that will drop down with the 3rd hole. hole 3 will have the same hole centers as #1&2 so when folded, it will pin up. the thought process is the fold up hitch attachment principle just on roids. 2.5"x2.5"x1/4" will hold the catwalk material. yeah.... this thing is already heavy and i may have to resort to a boat winch or something similar to lift and control the fall.

*EDIT* yes, i noticed the desert tan under the center window... after i ran out of green paint. needs a 2nd coat anyway. may use a nappy roller for texture and brush for this one.

Attachments

Last edited:

Welder Sam

Those that look closely at the pics may notice that i put the forward mudflaps on the wrong sides. I did this on purpose to give on coming traffic as much added protection as i can(short of leaving it at home). I figured that the longer flap would be better on the left to catch debris that could be ejected or even limit the damage of a tire failure. With only one set of flaps to play with, i see the right as a safer zone as most of the time this side will be toward a shoulder or ditch.

LowTech

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Our forward flaps were the same size, I know I just swapped them w/ my rears so that it would be easier to mount jerry cans ;)

Welder Sam

Ill get a right side tomorrow for comparrisson. One is only half the length of the other. Wierd.

I took it for a test pull just before it got dark. Never knew it was there. On these back roads that make most trails look smooth, all i noticed was a slight top heavy wobble. I dont see that being a problem at 45-50 on smoother highways. Tomorrow ill paint and reinstall the rear leds then see about merging the stock 105a3 wiring harness with te existing truck harness. Should be a near record heat day so finding shade will be important

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks