• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M-214?

Welder Sam

well.. im still pluggin away at it. got the lights wired and some markers on. need to paint the wheels, mudflaps and clean up some overspray. ill start the a/c install tomorrow. going to put a rotating beacon on the back. it needs to be low enough so it doesnt drag. ill have to make a custom mount for it tho. i see 12ga wrapped around the round light mount plate from the strobe kit. if it works well, i may make a couple more for another project.

Attachments

Welder Sam

thanks guys. it means alot! the led marker lights are wired and i figured out how to power the interior 24v lights while hooked to the truck. theres not much need in having them powered when a 115vac source is available tho. i apologize for the photo quality but it was too hot to stay out much longer.

Attachments

48cj2a

I've got experience installing Fredders 25K BTU A/C units in S-280 shelters.

First we line the cut out openings of the shelter with 4 pieces of aluminum channel which is counter sunk riveted to the shelter skin.

Then using 3 pieces of aluminum angle we come out the hole on each side and tie the two together at the outside forward edge creating a frame for the unit to fit in. But we have extra material on each side to mount a diagonal brace to. Counter sink the angle for accepting angle rivets into the channel and also where the outside angle meets each side angle piece.

Lastly make sure you have proper tip of the A/C for evaporator draining to the outside and then make diagonal braces.

After completed and if you are satisfied we seal every seam and rivet with proseal (an aircraft fuel tank sealant). The shelter teams that came around to inspect and repair our shelters turned us on to that.

I also made an aluminum sheet metal front panel on a piano hinge with zus fastners to protect the evaporator during transit.

Ours were normally mounted on M35s until we starting loosing authorizations for prime movers and had to get the M840 dolly mounting kits and install them on the shelters for towing so we made the diagonals go up toward the roof to clear the cabs but yours on a trailer could be supported from under the unit but you would lose some possible storage or create head knocker issues.

Last edited:

Welder Sam

too bad youre so far away. you'd be a great asset in this.

it looks like im going to frame the window in 1.5"x1/8" steel angle. there will be an additional 12" vertical above the windows for additional support. the vertical frame will narrow the window to the proper width while aloowing a facer on the outside to seal. my goal is to reuse existing screw holes while adding support. in addition to the original screws, i will also run bolts completely thru the wall and a reinforcing plate on the interior side. the unit itself will ride in a 1x1x1/8 angle runner on each side. trying to use the screw holes that are already in the ac box too. the horizontal frame will be supported from above as i want a rack on the frame for a generator, water tank, fuel, and a 100lb lp bottle. i never see me needing a 100lb bottle but it was cheap. maybe ill be able to make the winter on one fill. Arkansas generally only gets 2-3 weeks of real winter.

i know a guy that has an s280 sized shelter that has side doors, set up as a radio box, and is on a really small tire dolly looking thing. he doesnt like it but hates to scrap it too

48cj2a

Sounds like you have a plan. We lost authoization for the shelters a few years ago and the Depot Shelter Team had just put an aluminum diamond plate floor in a few and replaced all the door seals and then painted all of them so they were too nice to DRMO them. So we swapped ours with the junk shelters the Army unit on base had so we could turn their junk in instead. I'll see if they are still around and snap a few pics.

Welder Sam

it may elude me for a bit but once i get out the tape and soapstone, a plan comes together. i wont be fast at this part but hopefully itll be right when i step back from it. will be using lots of brown caulk as i go. i think it was leaking at the bottom of this window. bet it dont when im done. 4 tubes of caulk and 2 cans of spray foam say no leaks!

this shelter has the 12x12 ceiling tile in it. nice high back pedestal seats in blue cloth. lots of comms gear racks and cables. on the left front, theres a one man "office". in the rear is a 2-3 man "office". i havent gotten pics of it. its nice looking on the outside. think he had plans to make it a camper but did his very sweet looking 109 instead. id like to see pics of yours to compare

Welder Sam

well, i got the air conditioner set up in the rack. im not terribly impressed. overall, it fits tight. i shouldve used a more narrow angle iron at the bottom of the window though. 1.25" wouldve probably been perfect. i may reverse the upper catch lip so it will move the angle across the top back to where it will seal better. 3/8" gap is tough with 6011.

Attachments

Welder Sam

the air conditioner is in and sealed. still needs wrapped in expanded metal. painting the inside now. had my wife pick the colors. off white for the top wrapping down to just below the windows. a dark gray for the lower walls. charcoal indoor/outdoor carpet on the floor.

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you hadn't planned on it, fashion a cover for the A/C unit. I installed one in the nose of my S318 shelter and somehow water would blow through it going down the road. Looking good.

Welder Sam

Got the interior painted this week. Have been planning for the rear deck and doing some research. Havent gotten much else done. Hope to get the power supply cable made up tomorrow so i can lay carpet in cool air!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks