• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gama Goat new Home

jfnemt1ff1

I just got my Gama Goat home today, Just want to say thanks to Chris and his dad,they were great to see and talk to. :D The only draw back to the whole trip was travling down south to all the warm weather, they coming home to 20 deg. temps. Just might to have to move down there my wife liked it and would give me alot more time to work on MVs. Now all I have to do is find a job down there.
John

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Gama Goats were found at Howard's (now Buddy's) in Greenville, KY. I took this picture in March of 2005. There were about 15 of them.
Buddy was going to have them all scrapped for the aluminum, but offered them for $1,000/ea. Chris, his dad, my son and I each put in $250 and Chris hauled one of them to Charleston, WV, where it sat until now.
I was going to buy it from Chris if the XM757 didn't become a reality, so now you know the story.
Glad it finally got a home. It will need a motor (DD 3V53) at least.

Attachments

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Here's some pics! Great meeting you and your family, John. It was so nice to have the rain start pouring as soon as we got there to get it loaded. Almost as bad as when me and DR picked it up from Hammonds. I can't wait to see what y'all do with it. I do know it has gone on to a greener pasture, well, not green at the moment, but it is January. Good luck and keep us posted on your progress!! :D

Chris

Attachments

BillIdaho

From one Goat owner to another, congrats!! After looking at those pictures, it seems that the Gama- Goat pretty well taxed the length and weight limits of the rig hauling it!!It sure is settled down, and with barely an inch to spare for length. Oh well, it got home. Now, make ready to be broke, frustrated, waiting, looking, greasing, greasing some more, did I mention broke, ordering, working on, still broke, and more than anything...proud. (Until, of course, it breaks down)
Seriously, I am glad to see one was saved from the scrap pile.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
cranetruck said:
The Gama Goats were found at Howard's (now Buddy's) in Greenville, KY. I took this picture in March of 2005. There were about 15 of them.
Buddy was going to have them all scrapped for the aluminum, but offered them for $1,000/ea. Chris, his dad, my son and I each put in $250 and Chris hauled one of them to Charleston, WV, where it sat until now.
I was going to buy it from Chris if the XM757 didn't become a reality, so now you know the story.
Glad it finally got a home. It will need a motor (DD 3V53) at least.
Bjorn, are you saying that all 15 of them were saved from the torch? Or only one was saved. Just confused...as usual...

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, I don't know the fate of the other ones, they may still be there for all I know. They did not have engines, not sure about the transmissions either, probably gone.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
When I was there last time, they were cutting off all parts that weren't aluminum and stacking the tubs up on top of each other to go to the recycler. I'd say most of them are gone now. It's a shame, but they probably sat there for 25 or 30 years without anyone doing anything with them. I'm just glad we could rescue one. I am still having some residual pain in my knee from that adventure. Probably Lyme disease :D ... kidding...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks