• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Dry cut metal saw question

jimmy-90

Hello 4X4 forever and jasonjc. To answer your questions the blade that came with the saw was a Milwaukee 14" blade and the instruction sheet that comes in the side box that contains the blade for shipping says "Optimal cutting will produce little or no sparks. Apply more pressure if sparks are present." Like I said, the replacement saw and blade they sent me works incredably well. It cuts very smooth and is extremely precise. I wanted to wait until they sent me the replacement saw before I posted in hopes that the one they sent me the first time was just an oddball defect. Luckily it was and I couldn't be happier with the preformance of the new one.

jimmy-90

Latest update with my saw. I fried the blade in less than 100 cuts. Most of what I was cutting was square tubing which is pretty hard on these things since the blade has to hit a large flat surface and start down through it. Long story short I need a new blade and I notice everyone that has a 6190-20 saw is useing anything and everything except a Milwaukee blade. Does anyone have any recomendations for a replacement blade?

pigfoot63

Look at the Metal Devil blades online. I also wore my factory blade out cutting 1/4 sq. tubing. I found that if you clamp it on one edge instead of flat the blade will last longer. Also let the saw do the cutting with minamal pressure.

jimmy-90

I tried clamping it on the side and yes that does make it cut alot easier but it doesn't seem to be able to grip it as well. Also I made alot of 45 degree cuts and found that if you turn square tubing on it's side to make a 45....you get one strange 45 lol. I was working with 1 1/2" by 3/16" tubing.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When you look for a blade, look for a C-4 to C-7 tungsten rating, the higher the better. One thing that we have found is that although the manufacturer states placing more pressure to prevent sparks, it also shortens the life - considerably. Don't know who your LWS is up there in VA, see what they suggest. We have been using Milwaukee...

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been using a chop saw forever. Finally broke down and bought a Morse Metal Devil.

Why oh why did I not do this years ago. The cuts are beautiful. With a careful eye, you can set it to cut exact angles. I am so impressed with this saw and so happy I finally spent the money on a quality piece of machinery. If you build much, or cut much, you will be amazed at the difference.

About $485 on Amazon. Worth it. Worth every penny.

I am building a trailer now and the cuts are making the job go so much faster. I need a 50 degree tongue, so I set my cut at 22.5 degrees and the cuts are perfect. I do not need an angle grinder to clean up the ends after I cut, even on mitered corners.

I love it.

Buffalobwana

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Latest update with my saw. I fried the blade in less than 100 cuts. Most of what I was cutting was square tubing which is pretty hard on these things since the blade has to hit a large flat surface and start down through it. Long story short I need a new blade and I notice everyone that has a 6190-20 saw is useing anything and everything except a Milwaukee blade. Does anyone have any recomendations for a replacement blade?
I am almost done building a trailer from scratch and the Morse blade on the new saw does not seem to have slowed down one bit. I do not push it hard either. But then again, the thing cuts like a champ so I never really felt the need to push it.

I bought a DeWalt blade to have as a spare and have not had a chance or reason to use it yet.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey everyone, I'm preparing to add a cold cut saw to my tool crib. I have a truck flatbed fabrication job coming up and my ancient, abrasive disc chop saw is loosing it's bearings again.

Currently, the best priced 14" metal cold cut saw I'm finding on either Amazon, Ebay or Northern Tool is the Ironton 23501003-I. Here are the specs:

>>> The Ironton 15 Amp, 14in. Dry Cut Metal Saw is powerful enough to cut pipe, angle iron, conduit and more. It is capable of cutting up to 4 3/4in. round and 4 1/8in. square stock and can adjust to 45 for quick, easy miter cuts. Speed RPM 1450, Volts 110, Dimensions L x W x H in. 21 29/64 x 13 37/64 x 18 1/2, HP 3 3/8, Blade Included Yes, Amps 15, Arbor Size in. 1, Blade Diameter in. 14. Powerful 15 Amp, 3 3/8 max. HP, 110V motor 1450 RPM no-load speed Capable of cutting 4 3/4in. round and 4 1/8in. square stock Ideal for cutting pipe, angle iron, conduit D-handle provides optimum comfort Tool-less guide plate adjusts 0-45 for quick and easy miter cutting Lock-off button prevents accidental starting Quick-release vise for secure stock retention and fast repeated cutoffs Long-lasting carbide-tipped blade for clean, accurate cutting Heavy-duty cast aluminum base for stability CETL approved<<<

I can purchase this saw, with blade for $240. Shipping is free. Is that a good choice for my needs? I'm an occasional fabricator, and I don't certainly don't extract pride from purchasing expensive, name brand tools. I just want the tool I purchase to do the job.

Thank you in advance.

Rick
23501003-I
23501003-I

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks