• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

24v carter fuel pump overhaul - M220

Hammer

[h=3]National Stock Number 5977-00-741-2712[/h][FONT=&quot]National Stock Number (NSN) 5977-00-741-2712, or NIIN 007412712, (no item name available) has an unknown assigned date. NIIN 007412712 was cancelled on November 2, 1979, with a cancelled status of "Item is Cancelled WITHOUT Replacement." There is no known replacement specified for this stock number. This NSN does not replace any other NSNs.
There are no manufacturer part numbers associated to this NSN.
This part number has not been procured by the US Government in over 5 years.
There is no data in the HMIRS and the NSN is in an FSC not generally suspected of containing hazardous materials. NSN 5977007412712 contains an unknown precious metal.
This information was last updated on Jan 30, 2019.
[/FONT]

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I rebuilt the pump and a few years later it went out again. I blame it on alcohol and water condensation in a part of the country with high humidity. Both pumps below have proven reliable in the configurations described.

My replacement for the red truck is:

Carter P4603HD Universal Rotary Vane Electric Fuel Pump 43 GPH 6 PSI Marine 24V
This pump is not meant to suck. It is meant to be below the fluid level. I installed a 20 gallon fuel cell in the bed of the truck. I drive it in the yard. It takes me a year to burn 20 gallons. The problem of old fuel is eliminated with the smaller tank. The pump is below the box and is gravity fed. It has proven very reliable, but a very noisy rotary pump.

The pump I used on the yellow truck is:
24V FACET SOLID STATE FUEL PUMP 6-8PSI CARBURETED ENGINES ONAN 149-2035
I use a small boat tank on the factory tank brackets. I assume it would work with the factory tank if you plug the bleed holes in the factory pickup tube. I added a regulator between the regulator and carb. The regulator is set at 6psi. It is reliable and my suggested replacement. This pump will suck for long
periods without locking up. It will suck fuel.

My fuel pump education is documented in my truck threads. I learned that most pumps will not lift (suck) fuel for extended periods of time. Most must be gravity fed and below the liquid level to be reliable. If you pick up a new Mr. Gasket fuel pump and read the package it now states it must be gravity fed. They worked great for about an hour and then wouldn't pump until shut down for a period of time. They changed the packaging after my 4th free pump replacement and a few discussions with the engineers.

This is really the best answer in my opinion. I struggled a long time until I gave in and got the Facet pump. The original pump was discontinued long ago. There was an upgraded pump kit adopted by the military. It looks much like the Facet pump and has similar specs. I believe the military replacement pump was 3-4PSI.
Almost 7 years have gone by without a single fuel pump problem. Wy rebuilt and its original style replacement did not get me thru the summer.

Last edited:

Hammer

Are you running it at stock 6-8 psi? Any problems with the carb?
Or did you put a basic regulator inline to lower the pressure?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the original pump was 3-4 psi. I'm running 6-8 in the new pump. I added a regulator with a gauge just in care I had to turn it down. I have had no problems.

burton449

I thought I'd share a few pics of my overhaul of the carter 24v electric fuel pump. The pump just quit working. I picked up a couple kits from the friendly Butch Atkins. I was concerned because it had only the electrical parts. After pulling the pump apart, I see there is nothing else to wear out.

Very basic. Armature, brushes, rubber isolators, screen, adjusting screw, and a parts diagram form 1951!
Good evening! I know this is a nine year old post, but I’m looking for a good armature to rebuild my fuel pump for my 1952 M 211. Do you happen to have one available?

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen a few on ebay. There was an upgrade frame mounted pump from carter or ingersol or Facet. It is worth it

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks