• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GL auction removal Help

I am a new member who has been prowling these forums, and getting a wealth of information for a while now. I have just won a GL auction for my first MV (M923), and have questions about removal from Ft. Lewis, WA. The EUC still needs to be approved, so I have some time. I know that this subject has probably been covered before, but I haven't been able to find specifics. Because I wont be able to apply for a SF97 before the vehicle is removed I can't get a registration and plates, so how do I remove the vehicle? Do I have it towed out, or will the base just let me drive it off and risk getting pulled over? I do live somewhat close to the base, and would appreciate any advice on the subject and what to expect. Thanks

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you must drive it off base, get insurance first. In SC(I know it's not WA state) you can drive on a bill of sale for 10 days, as long as you have insurance. When I picked up my M814 from Fort Dix in NJ, thats all I needed for the trip home- Completed Invoice(same as a bill of sale) and insurance. I am sure WA has something simlier.:jumpin::cookoo:

KsM715

Like any new (or used) vehicle you buy you should be ok with the paperwork you get from GL. If I sell my civy vehicle to someone I give them a bill of sale and pull my plate and they drive away. You can get Ins. with just the VIN.

As for driving off Ft Lewis that I do not know. If you have the means it is advisable to just have it shipped. That way you can do a complete check of the vehicle and address any safety issues before putting it on a public road. With that said, I drove both my trucks home from Oklahoma to Kansas with no plates and my civy Jeep in tow. Even had the Hi-way Patrol tail me for several miles and never even looked like he wanted to pull me over.

YMMV

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Most states give you a couple of days to plate a vehicles if you have the paperwork to prove you just picked it up (your milage may vary).
Insurance is another animal.....most of the time they want a VIN in order to cover you. You might have a VIN on your invoice or not. Sometimes you can get a GL rep to get the number for you or if you're close you can go in a copy it off the Data Plate.
Hope this helps.

hwcurtice

I can't have nothing!

Oh wait. I have to bid to win, right?

Nice truck, if I remember. I don't remember, however, if it ran after being jumped or if it just cranked over.

So there may be more to getting it off base than just worrying about plates and such. It may need to be towed off or hauled off. How far are you from base?

Thanks to everyone for the quick responses. I live in Lakewood on the boarder of Steilacoom, so less than 10 miles depending on the gate.

1StumpJumper

There was no concern from GL when I picked up my M934A1 last week. In Washington you do NOT have a grace period. Anything that has wheels rolling on the road needs to be registered. You can go to any title service location and get a 3 day trip permit for $25. Washington likes to make sure they get money from you, hence no grace period. The trip permit has to be filled out & taped to your rear window, or lower passenger side of windshield if not visible from the rear.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks