• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M998 Project looking for input.

Crauly

Line-X

I then took it in to get Line-X. I chose Line-X because from what I read It appeared to be of better quality and easier to repair. In my opinion it went on cleaner. I have had it for some time now and I like it very well.

Here are some pics of before and after. Thanks to Line-X company in Santa Rosa CA. They were great and did a great job.

Attachments

Crauly

Tires....

I came across some good tires that were much more aggressive. I found these at the following website. MILITARYOFFROADTIRES.NET

They guy was great and I the tires look great.

I also came across a Warn 12k Winch, Military version.

Winch link

I found a great price, and even though I wasn't going to get the winches yet I had to take advantage. Plus it ROCKS! :p

Attachments

Last edited:

Crauly

Doors/Hatch/Paint Rims

I have been slowly working on the doors for several months. They are fiberglass and one had some serious issues. I may still at some point have to replace that right rear door. But until then I think it will do.

Due to the Paint shop loosing my parts I had to wait for parts. Thus i was unable to put the back hatch and top hatch on. But they recently came in and off to work I went. The Military seals don't seal so well and I ended up using some multi purpose seals to help seal the back hatch. I did this to help eliminate watch leaking. There are still a few other areas that leak, which is common in this vehicle. But I have faith over time Ill figure out a way to fix most of them. aua

I also painted the rims. In the pictures you will see cards...that's right playing cards used to shield the tire from the paint. This trick was taught to me by my pal, whose name will be withheld to protect the innocent.

Attachments

Crauly

New Prospects

Today I payed for my engine. I should get it in about a month. Then Ill send it off to a local performance mechanic to get some, work done. I will also be putting together the windows. I used a window/glass company that was pretty good. Buy Custom Glass At Best Price I got the glass pretty quick. It was well packed and i quickly sent them off to the tint shop.

I decided to go with a 4BTA 3.9 Cummins with a 7100 bosh pump. The work on the engine will consist of getting [FONT=&quot]good head studs, fresh gasket, valve springs, GSK kit, injectors and some pump tweaking and a turbo upgrade (an HX35 from a 6bt). I will also be using a 700R4 for the transmission. In the install I will be using a harmonic dampener and good rubber engine mounts. Further I will be probably setting the idle to around 900. These are all the things I have read about others have done to fix various complaints. So I have to thank all the people that have posted on Cummins HMMWV engine upgrades on this site and 4btswaps.com. It was a wealth of info.

I will be also fabricating a center consul to house a stereo/CB/speakers/dome lighting/Cup holders/AC outlets/two general compartments.

There are some other modifications I will be doing but Ill leave that for another post...just to add the suspense factor. Assuming someone reads this...[/FONT][FONT=&quot]:p

Feel free to leave any input....

My first pic and current pic....
[/FONT]

Attachments

Crauly

Depending on the location and how much prep work is done...For me I did 98% of the prep work so all they had to do was tape it off (~2 hours) and then spray it 20 minutes. For me it was 1000. There are others out there that like Rhino lining but I felt that the rhino lining was to rough and not clean for something inside. It also is a sound dampener and helps to water proof the bottom. Which wont matter Ill be having drain plugs anyway.

Crauly

A2 Bumper

As for the new posts, i hope my engine is en-route....I just got an email that might be bad news. But we will see. However I did install the new A2 bumper it looks good. Gives it a whole new look.

2012-12-07 15.53.00.jpg2012-12-07 16.15.04.jpg

Battle Monkey

the truck looks great!! it is alot of work. when i was in Iraq/Afghanistan we always had to work on the Hummers, and as well as in my military career. we used to always joke about what we would do if we owned one. conversations were like this " i drop a cummings motor in it and...." or the chevy guy dropping in a Dmax.. its cool to see it happening with alot of these trucks. im not impressed with the 6.5/6.2 motors at all... and when you add all the armor, its power is even worse. we did a ton of work on them in theatre.. good times for sure.

your truck is looking great!

Battle Monkey OUT!

Last edited:

papaydsailor

nice pics. im also in a process of swapping my drive train. im looking for a quiter diesel engine to replace my noisy 6.2. let me know if the lineX works to quiet the cabin from engine noise.

Attachments

4x4Guy

Has anyone checked with paint shops on CARC paint prices, how does it compare $$? I too am getting started on my truck I just bought in MA, as matter of fact still waiting for it to get here. Had the option to buy a fiberglass top with it and also a civilian H1 top was available howver decided against. My thinking was 4 X doors with a softop depending how that turns out with noise/winter weather. Your truck looks great!! Cant wait to getgoing on my M1038,
SamIMAG0070.jpgIMAG0074.jpg

Crauly

CARC Paint might give you trouble unless you do it yourself or have a shop that will let you do it under the radar. I have been told, at least in Cal, that due to the CARC paints chemicals its not allowed to be sprayed. The Gov makes their own rules. I could be wrong on this but I have talked to several paint shops here in Cal and they even wouldn't do the CARC substitute made in Texas due to California paint restrictions.

Thus I had to paint my truck myself. Good luck. I do know a few people have used CARC paint and i can refer them for questions. Or im sure the forums have descusions on this.

Good luck, post your pics...would love to see how your truck turns out. :)

Crauly

nice pics. im also in a process of swapping my drive train. im looking for a quiter diesel engine to replace my noisy 6.2. let me know if the lineX works to quiet the cabin from engine noise.

I will let you know about the LINEX. There has been a delay with Mechanic. The truck and engine/tran should get started in two weeks. So im hoping that I will see it in a few months. Then off to do the electrical etc....

:)

Crauly

Neary 3 years later.....

Well the the once M998 has made some changes. Not being a mechanic as I would like to be I outsourced the work. Not to many people do work on HMMWV nor the type of work that I wanted done. Thus I believe why its taken this long. Big thanks to Carmichael Customs.

Things that have been done to transplant the new 4bt and remove the old 6.2.
  • New drive line
  • New Transfer Case (switching from front wheel drive 1st to Rear wheel 1st)
  • 4bt/6bt Adapter from PATCO for the 700R4 Transmission
  • 700R4 Transmission with PATCO's 700R4 Raptor torque converter w/new servos
  • Custom (aluminum) Radiator from (wizard cooling)
  • Custom Radiator shroud. :)evil:what a pain:evil:)
  • Transmission Cooler
  • Turbo Charger (Holset) Hx40 5.9L
  • 2" Body lift from Predator Motors

For the 4bt I had additional changes; (all from Scheid Diesel) Very knowledgeable and helpful.

• new Valve Springs
  • New Block Bolts
  • New Injectors

Im sure I forgot about some other things. :naner:

But here are the updated pics that show the above work.

Attachments

Last edited:

Crauly

Whats Next

Now I have to set up the electrical. For this my buddy will be assisting/teaching. Learning this stuff is the what I love. What Ive decided to do is to utilize both a 24v system and a 12v system. This is due to several factors. But after I reviewed all the things that were going into the truck I decided with having two systems.

More to come...:usafss:

Crauly

Updates

So I decided to run 24v and 12v due to various reasons. So it took me a while to find a solid way to run it after reading all the pros and cons. I decided to go with a DC/DC charger for the 12v bat and use the alt to charge the 24v batt and power the DC/DC charger.

This is powered by the 24v and has two 12v outputs. One will charge the 12v battery and also be used as a power to the other 12v assessors. i also had to build a waterproof box for it.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks