• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New M998 Project looking for input.

Crauly

I don't know, I didn't even try. Regular Powder coating is quite durable. So i went with a company nearby. They had to do a two stage coating to get it to the flat black that I wanted. The regular flat black as they refer to it had a slight shine to it. We will see how it turns out.

Crauly

Finally finished the doghouse. Used some Spectrum sludge from Second skin audio on the back along with some thermal barrier to help with the heat transfer.
20150819_174342.jpg
20150820_130758.jpg
20150820_130624.jpg
20150823_204127.jpg

Crauly

My next problem is the speedometer and dash gauges. I didn't want to change them out but the speedometer is only to 60 and Due to the lose/not needed old wiring/harnesses. I having trouble with some connection issues.

Does anyone happen to know the pulse rate for the existing cable for the speedometer?
Is it 3/4 thread...trying to find a match via a vdo speedometer and using this;

http://www.egauges.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=340-011

Or any info would be great,
Thanks

Crauly

Driveline Clearence

Now it seems that after my install of the 4bt, and a 2 inch lift for clearance for the engine valve cap, leaves the oil pan in the way for front drive line. After review of how others have swapped 4bts. It looks like they might have raised the engine to get the drive line to go under the engine completely.

Does anyone know what kind issues, raising the engine about 3 inches to get clearance for the drive line, might cause? Keep in Mind that at this point the truck has an installed 4bta, trans (700r4), transfer case, and 2" lift kit.

Also i am in Northern Cal (SR or Petaluma area) , anyone know any solid mechanics that I might be able to touch base with?

Thanks so much. Looking forward to one day aua getting off road.

Crauly :D

tage

Does anyone know what kind issues, raising the engine about 3 inches to get clearance for the drive line, might cause? Keep in Mind that at this point the truck has an installed 4bta, trans (700r4), transfer case, and 2" lift kit.

looks like the 4bt can work with the stock rad stack. I think the shop hosed you.

"The Front driveshaft carrier bearing needs to be repositioned slightly towards the left front tire. A local driveline shop can do that for $200. The reason for this is for the front driveshaft to clear the oil pan"

Crauly

looks like the 4bt can work with the stock rad stack. I think the shop hosed you.

"The Front driveshaftcarrier bearing needs to be repositioned slightly towards the left front tire. A local driveline shop can do that for $200. The reason for this is for the front driveshaftto clear the oil pan"
Ya I think so too. The more mechanics I speak with the more I come to this same conclusions. Well I will have to take it to another guy, currently in a holding pattern at a shop that does trucks from the ground up, seen some of their work, and their work has been in 4x4 magazines. So I think I might have the right guys this time. Unfortunately I feel a large hole in my pocket.:burn:

Ravenmaniacs

Looks great, wish I was as handy to do the work you have done. I know your post is older but what did you do with your doors? I'm looking for a seton soft doors.

Crauly

Well its been a journey with the HMMWV. After a long time and seeing more mechanics than I want to admit I changed complete directions for my conversion. I decided to go big or go home, which meant ditching the HMMWV all together.

I removed and sold the 4bt and 700 r4. Got a LMM 6.6 Duramax , some call Dirtymax, (lol) and a 1000 Alison transmission. I used a company out of Florida for a suspension and brake upgrade. These last two upgrades, after some research should shorten the stopping power by 1/2 at 60 mph and give suspension reaction similar to the banks suspension upgrades that only the military use. There are more upgrades which require a much larger post. However, I write this now for those that are looking to do this type of upgrades and help with their own customization. I will post in detail when finished which should be in about 3 to 5 months. I hope. :)

Be well and be safe.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks