• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lockers, spools, open?

sermis

Thinking about adding lockers or spools to the M35.
For the front axel I thought about a spool. Only time it would be used is off road. I have Overson lockout hubs so on road it would be unlocked. Any real advantages to using a locker up front over a spool if not used on road?
Rear axel I thought about a Detroit or Overson locker. ARB would be great but $$$
Also thought about a locker on the center axel but I am running an Overson lockout there to help with on road drivability. Might be a good place for an ARB in the future.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You might reconsider the spool on the front axle. Even off road you will need to steer and the front spool isn't going to allow that. With the Detroit in the front you can finesse it to steer, not with the spool. I wouldn't use the spool in any position unless you are doing some serious hardcore wheeling.

sermis

No hardcore wheeling. Deep mud fun with the kids. Was thinking the spool would cause steering issues but was unsure. Spool would be cheeper than lockers.

TheBuggyman

In our off road buggies with Deuce axles we weld the rear and put a Detroit in the front. The front Detroit allows you to steer when the front drive is not engaged. If you do put a spool in the front, which I would not do, you would need to put lock out hubs on the axle which would make it more expensive......

area52

I have been rockcrawling for a few years and have not heard of too many people with spools up front. Steering in a decue without power steering is bad enough with an open diff, let alone with a spool. I say go with an ARB up front.

sermis

Don't want some yuppe jeep to show me up with open dif's if I get in deep mud with the big ugly truck. Really don't want to get out in the mud to hook up the winch either.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I would want a detroit in the the rear and an ARB up front (at which point I would have more $$ in lockers than the cost of the truck). with the lockout on the center I would only use an ARB

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FWIW, a Detroit Locker in the front will be invisible unless under power. Even woithout lockouts, you can run one in the front. You would need to learn how the Detroit works and adjust your driving accordingly when in AWD.

devilman96

Yep a ABR would be the thing for the front axle... Other wise and $ wise I would go with a locker, not a spool... As everyone says at least you can turn when your off the gas.

Elwenil

Also with a spool, there is no way to relieve the stress of turning except for tire slip, which builds up stress and releases it suddenly only to build it back up again. This really fatigues the axle shafts and joints and will almost always eventually lead to a failure. The rock crawlers are breaking Rockwell shafts in fairly lightweight rigs, imagine what a full Deuce will do to one. I wouldn't use a spool or "Lincoln Locker" in anything and would only use a ARB, Detroit, or similar automatic locker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks