• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1009 won't start

1986cucvM1009

On friday I hopped in my m1009 stuck the key in the ignition, let the glow plugs cycle and when I turned the key nothing happened not even a click. With the key in the on position I noticed the volt meter isn't working but the batteries have a full charge. Also GEN2 light doesn't light up. The starter was rebuilt a year ago so I don't think its the starter. I need my CUCV its my baby and my daily driver.

gungearz

Check all of the battery cables to make sure they are tight and clean. Follow them to make sure there isn't any cuts in them. Where corrosion decayed the cables in the center of them.

cpf240

Sounds like no 24v into the cab. Check the red wire at the starter relay under the dash with a DVM. Should read about 24v. If not, then perhaps the fusible link off the 24v buss bar is bad, or maybe the 24v circuit fuse in the fuse box.

Last edited:

gungearz

If times get really rough and you don't have a spare vehicle to get you around. You can always jump the 2 terminals on your starter silonoid to get it running. Providing the starter is good still.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If your GEN2 light hasn't been working, your rear battery hasn't been charging.

Don't assume that they are fully charged. Have them load tested

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take your batteries to autozone or any parts house and have them tested.

Not much you can do without at voltmeter. You can pick one up for $10 that will get you by.

You should also look into a load tester. Harbor Freight has one for $25. I use mine on a weekly basis with all the stuff I work on.

Check out my post called Fusible Links 101

If this truck is your daily driver, you need to find a mechanic or stock up your tools and be your own mechanic. The truck is 25+ years old and will break.

Last edited:

1986cucvM1009

I've had the truck for a little over 3 years now and this the first problem its gave me. As far as tools go I do have a volt tester but my grampa has it. I have a pretty good understanding on the machanical end just not the electrical side of things. Also I unplugged the starter relay and fuse relays, and they are corroded pretty bad.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think the light is what turns on the alternator regulator. Has the gen 2 light been coming on in the past when you turn the key to "ON" before starting? If it's burned out the regulator won't turn on.

cpf240

Read up on the doghead mod for the starter relay, don't put that old one back in there.

As for Gen 2, there is a good trouble shooting guide in the TM's, which are available on this site. It could be as simple as the Gen 2 bulb being burnt out. Don't assume that just because a part is new that it is any good. I would take the Gen 2 in and have it tested when you take the batteries in.

If Gen 2 has not been charging the rear battery, for whatever reason, the battery may not recover, so be prepared to replace it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks