• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Adding Reverse Lights

bfdvollie

Ok we were looking last night and noticed there are no reverse lights. That being said the "blackout" tail lamp section are still functional. We're thinking about one of the following:

1, Switching out the red bulbs for white and changing the wiring on the blackout lamp.

2, Get some 24V lamps and mount them under the rear of the bed so we could also use them as rear scene lamps.

I'm going to look at the shifter and see if we can fab up a switch to turn them on when it's in the reverse position. Since this is a three speed non electonic transmission I doubt there is a reverse 12/24V feed.

papakb

I used a standard neutral start switch ($8 from Amtak) and mounted it on the shifter. I took power from the shifter lighting figuring if I didn't want the backup lights to come on I'd just leave the dash lights off. It's been working for 15 years now without a hitch.

Kurt

NormB

papakb

NormB, that switch is the same as the commercial ones without the wires and connectors. They sell at almost any parts store for under $15. just Google "neutral start switch" and you'll find them.

NormB

NormB, that switch is the same as the commercial ones without the wires and connectors. They sell at almost any parts store for under $15. just Google "neutral start switch" and you'll find them.
had I only known...

turns out I have exactly the right switch/bushing.

One less worry. Now to figure out how to install the thing with the least amount of time/trouble and knuckle busting. Wiring I can do, got the connectors, wire, crimper, it’ll be fun.

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
IMG_1528 (1).jpgI had an old post were you just buy a switch and install it on the shifter, you do not have to remove it, just go underneath and cut a small hole in the boot
This is what I have for back up lights, a bit more time, but you get what you put in.
0.jpgBack up lights 003.jpgBack up lights 004.jpgIMG_1887.jpgIMG_1888.JPG

donquijote

I have a switch that i bought from ebay that is missing the threaded reducer bushing. Autozone, O'Reilly, etc. did not have anything that would mate to it. I also called OSH equipment and they could not find any part number or bushing by itself. So besides having to make a threaded bushing on my lathe, or buying a new switch for $70 with the bushing..... what store and what part# works in replace of this?

donquijote

LouWon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I not aware if you can buy the bushing alone.
Your switch is probably a safety neutral switch, they where a bit smaller.
The on on ebay has a bigger diameter, you can always buy that one and replace the safety neutral one with the one you have, the wiring tends to fray on them.

Nomad1

Are those termanial ends the same as they use on M35a2 for wiring? Thinking of moding my deuce so that pressure switch could be use 2 operate my reverse lights

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks