• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ready Welder

Do you have a Ready Welder or have used one?

• yes civilian one

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • yes military one

Votes: 4 36.4%
  • used one

Votes: 4 36.4%

• Total voters

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have had one for about that long, too. Use it all the time. I just completed replacing some cab metal on a 404 Unimog and the Ready Welder handled the sheet metal well, too. As already stated, it handles heavy welding also, as long as your 24 volt source is adequate.

By the way, the output of mine is run through a tapped series of copper coils that act as a big series resistor, limiting current but allowing full voltage for striking the arc. I just move the tap to add more resistance in series for lighter welding. Some information I read indicates the coils might stabilize the arc, too.

I have a Ready Welder that I bought about 12 years ago from the owner of the company who is a Veteran and nice guy. I just wanted to see how many of us have one and if any one has a actual military issue one. I love mine it is small but will weld anything most big high dollar welders can.
Readywelder.com | There's nothing like it!

Csm Davis

Coyotegrey you have got to try it that's like having a ham on Thanksgiving and not eating any for a couple days !
Tennmogger where did you get the coil pack from?
Both of you please add pictures.
And yes rangerbob I have read that tread and many others that mention this great piece of equipment but I didn't see a thread about just it and it really should have one, so here we go! :doghead:

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is my Ready Welder power source Exide batteries and the 3 inductors salvaged from an M-G UPS. The connectors on the insulator strip allow tapping 3, 2, 1 or zero coils in series by moving the battery clamps (which came on the Ready Welder).

Attachments

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm reviving this thread in hopes of adding some info and gleaning some for myself. I recently stumbled across a post by JPG where he stated that he has a Ready Welder II in the M1010 and used a resistor to drop power a bit. I bought one of these that comes with the slave adapter. Do the batts need to be disconnected from the vehicle? Can you weld with the vehicle running? Forgive my ignorance on this. Chief919, if you read this, I know you use yours a bunch, any need to drop voltage? I'll have mine Tuesday or Wednesday.

rustystud

I'm reviving this thread in hopes of adding some info and gleaning some for myself. I recently stumbled across a post by JPG where he stated that he has a Ready Welder II in the M1010 and used a resistor to drop power a bit. I bought one of these that comes with the slave adapter. Do the batts need to be disconnected from the vehicle? Can you weld with the vehicle running? Forgive my ignorance on this. Chief919, if you read this, I know you use yours a bunch, any need to drop voltage? I'll have mine Tuesday or Wednesday.
Thanks for reposting this thread ! I never saw it and now I think I need to buy me a "Ready Welder" !

rustystud

Rustystud I have many welders and I like the ready-welder best.

I remember when this welder came out. I thought it was a "gimic" not a real welder. I never knew the military decided to use it and that it performs so well ! I remember "Premier Supply" sold them for off-road kits you put on your trucks. They where pretty pricey then. For the $600.00 their asking for a complete ready to use unit that is a steal ! I was actually at the welding supply store last month looking for portable welding units I could take with me on the "Great Alaskan Expedition" . The one they had was $2000.00 ! It was a nice unit and very portable, but not as portable and not near as nice as the $600.00 for the Ready Welder !
I will need to make up my own NATO connector (no problem) but that is it.

Csm Davis

You can buy the extra NATO plug separate from the company directly probably the whole kit. I got lucky one Saturday I was big into Jeeps at the time and called the company and the head guy answered the phone said he was just dropping off some stuff from the show he had been at all week and he sold me the used unit with lots of extra goodies and said if it wouldn't do what I wanted send it back. That's been 10 years at least and I still have it.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never seen this thread either. I saw some of these for sale about when this was first posted I'm guessing. Anyways they were complete military versions in really nice cases that had never been used. I purchased one because it looked like a good deal for the farm. It came when I was really busy and I put it up in the shop. I still haven't used it so now I need to get it out and try it. Thanks for the reminder.

rustystud

I have never seen this thread either. I saw some of these for sale about when this was first posted I'm guessing. Anyways they were complete military versions in really nice cases that had never been used. I purchased one because it looked like a good deal for the farm. It came when I was really busy and I put it up in the shop. I still haven't used it so now I need to get it out and try it. Thanks for the reminder.
The military version ! NICE score ! Was it from Government Liquidation ?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks