• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Bleeding fuel lines

jamesw0352

does anyone here know how to bleed the fuel lines on an M35A3? i just changed the fuel filter after a cross country drive and cant get all the air out of the fuel lines. it just turns over but wont crank up.

the buddah

what i had to do is use a whole can of starter fluid thats a 2 man job pull the air filter and have them spray and you try to crank thats what worked for me

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It does not have a priming pump.
So the TM says to hold the accelerator pedle down and turn it over till it starts.
That is what I did when I had an A3.

FUEL SYSTEM​
CAUTION​
Do not engage starter switch for more than 15 seconds at a time
or with headlights on. If engine does not start in 15 seconds, wait
30 seconds before engaging starter switch again. Failure to do this
may result in damage to starter.​
NOTE​
The fuel system must be primed if fuel system has been drained
for maintenance, or if vehicle has been run out of fuel.​
a.​
Set throttle half-open by pressing accelerator pedal (1) or engaging throttle
control (4).

b.​
Place accessory/battery switch (3) in ON position.

c.​
Engage starter switch (2) for 15 seconds.

d.​
Allow at least 30 seconds before engaging starter switch (2) again. Repeat

steps b and c until engine starts.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you invent that procedure?

machinist75

If you in-tank fuel pump is good, you will need to crack or take out the bleeder screw on top of the secondary fuel filter housing. Turn the switch to on until fuel comes out. When fuel comes out turn switch off. Close bleed screw. Should start. If fuel dosnt come out could be the fuel pump. with the switch on you should be able to hear it spinning. If you don't, it's out. But if you do hear it that dosnt mean that's all good. I had one than would spin but the impeller was broke so no fuel. Remove the hard line coming from tank and turn switch on, fuel should come out. If the pump is out there is a gentleman on ePay that sells one that will work for $50.00. It's not the stock one but it will work, there are some threads on here about it. Hope you get it running.

Mike:driver:

machinist75

Pump

If you in-tank fuel pump is good, you will need to crack or take out the bleeder screw on top of the secondary fuel filter housing. Turn the switch to on until fuel comes out. When fuel comes out turn switch off. Close bleed screw. Should start. If fuel dosnt come out could be the fuel pump. with the switch on you should be able to hear it spinning. If you don't, it's out. But if you do hear it that dosnt mean that's all good. I had one than would spin but the impeller was broke so no fuel. Remove the hard line coming from tank and turn switch on, fuel should come out. If the pump is out there is a gentleman on ePay that sells one that will work for $50.00. It's not the stock one but it will work, there are some threads on here about it. Hope you get it running.

Mike:driver:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You guys need to read his post just a tad bit slower.

does anyone here know how to bleed the fuel lines on an M35A3?
Unless you know something I don't, please point out the in-tank pump on his truck. Here is a picture from the -P TM.

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also, this is a good example of why we use siglines(besides bragging).

Last edited:

vondecker77

Just did this on my M35 A3 changed the fuel filter ( upside down) broke loose the lines that fed the filter and left the filter filled the fuel tank full of diesel. 1. with the lines broke loose pump air into the fuel tank( use your hands to cover the opening. crank it over a few times.... charge batteries when needed ( disconnect the cable between batteries to be able to charge 12 volt) repeat this several times ( may take a couple hours of screwing around. you should see fuel leaking out of the lines you broke loose tighten them back up. With batteries charged spray starting fluid into air cleaner ( slow one second spray) turn engine over she should try to run but sputter repeat process spray another slow one second spray of starting fluid into air cleaner then crank over ( hold the pedal down half way during this) mine fired and sputtered a few times then leveled out hold at around 800 rpm's and just let that pig run for 20 minutes Cat Diesel no sound like it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks