• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M135 Rebuild Project.

tlmob1

1953 M135 Restore Project in Door County Wisconsin. Just paid off the m135, now it's time to start bringing it back to its glory days. Will need all the help and info I can muster. Your help and insite will be greatly appriciated.:grd:

Pics will soon follow.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1953 GMC M135 6x6

Gigity

Welcome aboard! I can only guess the mods will generously slip your thread into "The Early Deuce" Forum, and we thank them either by another post or by clicking "Thank" on the bottom right of each thread. There are not enough 'Thank you' buttons for all that is provided here, as you will find out.

There are a few threads explaining how we post pictures and ways to 'search' for information. Use the "RULES" to your advantage by reading through them and getting to know the best way to use the site.

I think the word "HELP" ....in a title.....is still used as an urgency or emergency however it takes time to get used to things so if you need any help, let us know.

Here's a couple of pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

targhee trucks

1953 M135 Restore Project in Door County Wisconsin. Just paid off the m135, now it's time to start bringing it back to its glory days. Will need all the help and info I can muster. Your help and insite will be greatly appriciated.:grd:

Pics will soon follow.
Welcome from a recent military truck convert and former U.S. Coast Guardsman: Cape May, NJ; Governor's Island, NY; USCGC Minnetonka WHEC-67 Long Beach CA; CGRO Phoenix, AZ. You'll find good people and good help here.

As others here will tell you too, the Tech Manuals and "search" are your friends. Do your homework, then post questions on those issues you haven't been able to figure out on your own.

I've sure enjoyed working on the trucks in our "fleet". I wish you well on yours.

Jack

Last edited:

tlmob1

I lived on Governors island as a kid My dad was a YN1 Stationed there 79-81. I severed 21 years then retired. I've been driving Semi's for 7 years now.:D

Stan Leschert

You might want to read how to post pics ... do a search.... all things will be made almost plain.

We want to see your truck in it's current state.

There are a couple of adicts of the Great Green Laughing Academy who check in, from now and then who are quite familiar with that series of truck.

You have found one of the best resources to help in your endeavours.

If you are lacking in manuals, or parts sources, to deplete your finances ... we know the way.

We have been there, and visit frequently!

targhee trucks

I lived on Governors island as a kid My dad was a YN1 Stationed there 79-81. I severed 21 years then retired. I've been driving Semi's for 7 years now.:D
I was only in for 4, but was on Governor's Island twice. '71 for YN training, '73 for recruiter training.

Looking forward to your pics. Welcome aboard!

Jack

CatMan

Hey neighbor, I'm just down the road 10 miles from you in Denmark WI. I'm also an admitted Big Truck guy. I'd be happy to help you. Lord knows I've made my share of mistakes on army truck projects over the years.

I have a good knowledge of the GMC's and a pretty good technical library.

Send me a PM and we'll get together. I'd love to stop up and see your truck.

August is pretty busy, but I'll have time in Sept.

Breakfast on the way at the Village Kitchen in Casco is always a good idea too.

Cat Man

tlmob1

Came back from the IOLA Military Vehicle/swap show today with my daughter. It was so awesome. Met a lot of wonderful people. Learned more and received some parts for my truck and I'm very thankful.:-D
I got back home and had help to pull my M135 far enough back from the wall to where I can get in front of it. Going to have a custom tow bar made, so that I can tow it home to start working it.
I had feared that the frame for the bumper might be cut. To my fear, it had been cut. My question is that, How much of the frame was cut. :-(
Can I still or Can't I mount a front bumper to my truck? Will I have to weld a piece of steel back on to mount one?:???:
I also found that my fuel tank is rusted inside, would it be cheeper to replace it, or cut it open and sand blast it, then reweld it?
Any and all help will be greatly appriciated. Thanks again for everyones help.

Attachments

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bumper cut,

I'll get you a measurement tomorrow night if someone doesn't beat me to it. Might not be too bad, looks like they cut behind the bumper brackets.

The winch holes appear to be there. It would be ideal if there was a bumper laying around with some brackets still bolted to it.

You really can't put too many pictures up here. There's also an "un-official G749 picture thread" I'll get you a link to. Once she's out in the sunlight, no one will notice the bumper.

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/58040-unofficial-g749-picture-thread.html

Last edited:

tlmob1

Thanks M1010plowboy. The link is awesome. I getting a bar made to bolt to the frame so I can tow the truck using my farm tractor. Bought a portable sand blaster yesterday, so that I can cleand up the frame and body of the truck before I paint it. I'll try to take more pics of the truck and post them. Thanks a million again for your help and feed back.:grin:

tlmob1

I looked at my data plate and found that my trucks S/N is 14654 Delivered on 5-52. I thought it was a 53 but I stand corrected. I also looked for vehicle markings, so I'll know how mark mine when I paint it. A little confused on the numbering system on the hood and bumper.:???:

tlmob1

I guess that "W/O Winch" on the data plate means that my Duece didn't come with a winch. Couldn't see if there was a place on the transfer case for a PTO. I'll have to crawl under it to get a better view.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Frame length

Okey Dokey, I took pictures that showed 13" of frame in front of the forward love handle, lower bolt.

Great pictures that clearly showed the winch bolts, bumper bolts and the easiest spot to cut off a big bulky bumper right below the cover surrounding the area where your 'new winch' will go.

The camera will not give up the photos without bringing the camera home so.....no pictures.

It looks like you lost about 12" and the fix could be fairly simple. The original winch bracket, as shown in post #138, is offset. That would give you room to plate the inside of the new frame, leaving a clean look as well as holding up your new bumper.
Four cuts, clean up the frame, bolt on a bumper, add a winch, pto, levers, brackets, cable, mid-shaft bearing, cable, hook......and you're done

The available frame pics on #138

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/early-deuce/52255-m135-preservation-14.html

I'll post more pictures, if you do:whistle:

tlmob1

I was looking at my pics of my truck on my phone, and noticed that my truck doesn't have any turn signals. Did this year of truck come with turn signals??:?::lost:

hippiedude

If you are interested I have a bumper that was cut off a truck with more frame than you are short ..., You can have the frame ends ... Just cover shipping ............ send me a pm if interested.... Bumper is for sale to.But that baby is HEAVY !!!!!! .......... Tim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks