• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

1953 M135 Rebuild Project.

tlmob1

Just took my daughter and nephew for a night ride. We went blacked out, because I don't have any lights. The yard light and machine shed door light provided enough light to go in circles around the yard 4 times. The had smiles ear to ear. I tried turning on the lights and hitting the dimmer switch hoping that it would turn the lights on. But no luck, this means deeper problems.:-( We shall over come. Happy Veterans Day.:razz:

CatMan

1953 M135 Rebuild Project

I'm not too sure about the camera angle that captured my butt over the GMC fender at Robert's a couple days ago. I was putting the ignition system back together before moving on to the carb on the other side.

My only regret is not having my camera when Rob made the first lap around the yard. He looked to be one happy camper. I guess he thinks I'm a mechnical magician.

Now that Rob can move his truck around under its own power, we can start to look at the rest of the truck. There is a lot to do, but the engine and drivetrain and Cab and chassis all look pretty good.

It sure is fun to see a new guy get that first HMV project and be so excited by all the little discovery's. I just hope I can keep him from getting overwhelmed with all the stuff a 60 year old 6X6 truck needs! The next think it needs is a priority check list of items to service. Just like eating an elephant. One bite and a time.

Hey Plow Boy, great to know you have one of these GMC's so we can lean on you for technical advice. We had a great time in your Canadian backyard this summer.

Cat Man (and sometimes a gasoline engine guy too)

tlmob1

Hey CatMan, as a Cameraman I was getting your best angle. It is nice to have someone with MV experience. That has a working knowledge of how things work. I have some knowledge on regular cars and trucks, but very little with MV. I know that I got my work cut out for me, however I'm up for the challenge. Any and every bit of help from near and a far will be taking in with great appriciation.
I see so much potential with this truck as to where I would like to get it some day. I know with the help from every one I can. I enjoy the company and learning from experienced MV owners. I'm just a beginner.
Just seeing my daughter and nephews face light up when I mention about going for a ride makes it all worth it.
Many thanks again to everyone for their assistance.:eek::driver:

tlmob1

Now I have to drop the fuel tank and get the bottom cleaned out. I found that you bring the truck to idle put transmission in neutral the truck almost comes to a stop on it's own. Then lift the hand break and your stopped. I only drive it in a controlled area. Checked the fluid level and it's about 2 quarts low. Picked up 2 quarts of 30 weight oil to top off the transmission.
Once I put the truck away for the winter, I'll jack it up and pull the wheels to work on the brakes. The machine shed gets a bit cold in the winter time.
I saw what apeard to be a M38A1 sitting next to the road among old tractors i a town that I pass through. If I could pull my semi over I want to look at it closer. It needs a little bit of work from what I can tell from the road.

tlmob1

Drove the duece around yesterday and went into the ditch and climb straight up the side and on the road. turned into the ditch and climb down and into my yard, made the loop and did it a coulpe of more times then went behind my barn into my field for a coulpe of laps. I got the transmission to shift into 2nd gear. I was happy to feel it shift. I wondered if it would. The speedometer needle jumps all over the place.

SturmTyger380

That is good news! You might want to take the speedo cable loose and grease and/or lube it good. You don't want to snap it off. These old speedometers can have issues too. It is not too hard to find a replacement. Alan

tlmob1

Put the duece into my machine shed for the winter. I got a few lugs loose with my wrench, now to jack it up and remove the wheels and start working on the brakes. This should be fun, figuring out how to remove the brake drums. Time to do some reading...

Nightfisher

in the process of picking up a 53 m135 gottit to run rebid kit for carb on way no brakes good air need to try to fill master cal and see whats up bleed etc

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome aboard Nightfisher!

While some guys are putting their trucks to bed, others are still working on getting them running and adding cabs, awesome. It's going to be a g-749 good year.

I sent you a PM with some info about firing up a thread and posting some pictures if you have time to show us the truck.

It's always good to read through the site rules so the moderators can be drinking instead of moderating.

I just hope tlmob1 has a camera when he starts breaking down the axles on his truck. I didn't get many pictures of the rear diff tear-down and had someone else pull it apart. I did the front diff' tear down and the drums came off easy so lets hope the rears come off easy too.

JerseyHick

Yo timob1, Just read thru your thread, good stuff,cant wait for more updates.
Wondering if you fixed your front bumper/frame problem.. if not their may be another option..
I have a n old copy of MV magazine, theirs pics of the prototype M135's. They had straight bumpers. I think they look pretty tuff!
You could copy that look, if you wanted to. Sorry about the bad pics. I dont have a scanner
IMG_1237.jpgIMG_1238.jpg

Last edited:

JerseyHick

I kind of like the flipped rear wheels. Must be a different offset that either the M211 or m135
Yes, wheels look pretty awesome. How bout 211 offset and rims..just don't run the inner rim?? Think it would work?
I also like how theirs no metal arch to the upper windshield frame.. Much lower roofline.. Almost looks like a chopped top!

Last edited:

tlmob1

I just jacked up and removed all the wheels from my M135. It was a pain to use that heavy duty bumper jack to lift the truck up high enough to place jack stands under the axles. I'm uploading pics of it.

hendersond

Steel Soldiers Supporter
"Go advanced"
"manage attachments"
"Add Files" -upper right
"Basic Uploader"----(it is in lower right of pop up window)
"Browse"

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks