• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Who Bought Those Oshkosh MK-48s???

tah081

would it really be that hard on the trucks to drive them a thousand miles??... I live in Texas which is roughly 1100 miles away from their location, and i doubt ill be seeing and listings in my area in the future...
i know its a risk driving one without a CDL but if your wearing a military uniform i dont think you would get stopped by any means... just dont get in a wreck lol i ask because i plan on getting one in the future but i really dont want to get a CDL just to drive it

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
i know its a risk driving one without a CDL but if your wearing a military uniform i dont think you would get stopped by any means... just dont get in a wreck lol i ask because i plan on getting one in the future but i really dont want to get a CDL just to drive it
It is not that hard to get a class B CDL (straight truck). Wearing a military uniform does not mean a DOT guy or local LEO won't pull you over....especially if they are not used to seeing that type vehicle. They may do it out of pure curiosity to find out about the truck.

If you are going to drive a certain class vehicle you need the credentials....doing otherwise invites a ticktet, a lawsuit or other negatives we don't want to bring down on our hobby.

Augdog1964

Check

Check you state laws...

In Indiana and Ohio and I believe KY, the CDL specifically states FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES and defines it as being paid to drive. Therefore you don't need any CDL to drive a unit...

paradeduty

First off, I would like to say thanks to all of you guys who are working so hard to try to get the logistics of this multi-faceted heavy-haul for all of the SSers who dove in on one of these. This thread sure has impressed me.

Second, I am one of the winners of one of the Florida complete units. I have a very reasonable and responsible trucker ready to go to bring mine to the "compound". He is working out the pricing still, but he is familiar with these units as his son is in the Marines and drove these regularly. He has already hauled my M985 and an engine/container for me with excellent results. He is very concientious and definitely values "your" property. He is a one man army, so I am not sure the whole "get them all out in a few days" would be possible for him. But if someone has theirs hauled off site for short term storage, I could probably ask him for a quote for other units / pass along his contact info.

All the same, It sure would be a huge "peace of mind" if I could make use of your services, Wreckerman. Never, ever hurts to have an extra pair of experienced hands and eyes available during the loading of heavy pieces.

Just a thought - wonder how a time lapse movie or a slideshow of sorts would go over to "document" the passing of the torch for these Steel Soldiers!

Dave.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The only issue with driving them this time of year is the heat........
Yeah, no AC would suck. Get someone young to drive it so you don't have to worry about stroke.

At 2mpg it might be.
You got to pay to play Adam! That's only three times worst than a M818 and 10 times as cool!!! :driver:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Paradeduty.....if you are willing to try to get your guy into our "window of oportunity" I'll be happy to work with you.

I would prefer to keep the time on the ground at less than three days to keep down my expenses.

Luis at GL has said he will work with us to get them out in a set window.

PM for details.

sandcobra164

If these trucks are being recovered the last week of July, I will be able to help you WM. I've got to go down to Blount Island to train some folks on how to drive some stuff. No Charge for my help as I'll be on TAD orders.

BradBMI

Shipping for MK48 & other GL auctions

Hi All

I buy from GL all over and bought a few of the MK48's from the FL Auction

I use AMAC Logistics for my shipping. The guy who runs it is very honest and gets the best price for you

his name is GARY SON 480 279 3200 gary@amaclogistics.com

I also buy alot of the spare parts for 5 tons etc so if you are looking for parts, 5 ton trucks, wreckers etc let me know Im in NYC

Brad

Andy1234

First off, I would like to say thanks to all of you guys who are working so hard to try to get the logistics of this multi-faceted heavy-haul for all of the SSers who dove in on one of these. This thread sure has impressed me.

Second, I am one of the winners of one of the Florida complete units. I have a very reasonable and responsible trucker ready to go to bring mine to the "compound". He is working out the pricing still, but he is familiar with these units as his son is in the Marines and drove these regularly. He has already hauled my M985 and an engine/container for me with excellent results. He is very concientious and definitely values "your" property. He is a one man army, so I am not sure the whole "get them all out in a few days" would be possible for him. But if someone has theirs hauled off site for short term storage, I could probably ask him for a quote for other units / pass along his contact info.

All the same, It sure would be a huge "peace of mind" if I could make use of your services, Wreckerman. Never, ever hurts to have an extra pair of experienced hands and eyes available during the loading of heavy pieces.

Just a thought - wonder how a time lapse movie or a slideshow of sorts would go over to "document" the passing of the torch for these Steel Soldiers!

Dave.
Welcome aboard. :-D Pm sent.

Andy

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I buy from GL all over and bought a few of the MK48's from the FL Auction
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.:cookoo:

What is the total count now for SSers that got one of these trucks
By my count there are eight members with at least ten trucks (assuming a few means two)

I would think that if the timeline falls in place GL would love to load all of those out at one time.....it would save them a lot of running back and forth.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
You know WM, If we end up dealing with at LEAST 10 (TEN UNITS), THIS project COULD really turn into WORK

BradBMI

Mk48 project

I won 11046 lot 6530 Getting a truck down there to pick it up after the EUC

Anyone know if there are people on the base who could take a look at the unit and make sure it starts?

Dont know anyone in FL

Thanks

Brad

BradBMI

Mk 48

By the way Im in New York City Will have fun running this truck in long island and upstate!

Congrats to everyone who won them

Looking for a m17 cargo trailer

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I won 11046 lot 6530 Getting a truck down there to pick it up after the EUC

Anyone know if there are people on the base who could take a look at the unit and make sure it starts?

Dont know anyone in FL

Thanks

Brad
Talk to WM, he is putting together a boots on the ground operation

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I made several calls to the Marine Command and to Honeywell (the contractor that runs things on base). I didn't have a lot of luck but I am persistant if nothing else.

My goal is to meet up with some old grizzled gunny that will help an old Master Sgt. out.

I'm also going to look for a loading dock so we don't have to depend on the truckers to have ramps.

I will have slave cables, spare batteries, chains, a towbar, long airlines with gladhands on both ends and other implements of destruction needed to get the job done.

I'm also picking up a M36 wrecker for ChevyC60 (he is from FL) at Restone in a few days.

If it in good running condition we may drive it to Jacksonville and meet him there.

If we do he has graciously given me permission to use it until he picks it up if we need it.

1973M819 (Ron) has signed on with me to assist in the operation and I know him to be a good troop.

BradBMI......If you fall in with our scruffy lot we can make sure your truck gets the attention it deserves. I'm like a career politician......I can't be bought but I can be rented cheap.:wink:

Andy1234 is coordinating the transportation issue with a major flatbed company......contact him to see if he can get you a good rate.

Let us know if we can help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks