• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

New Project - 1953 M38A1

troy.m38a1

Hey all, just bought a 1953 M38A1 that I'm going to pick up this weekend.

When I take a look at this thing, how can I tell if the "numbers match" between the frame, body, and engine?

Supposedly, a "good" 12 volt conversion was done that will be easy to switch back to 24V. What do I need to look for as I try to switch that back?

What's the best way to evaluate the various components of the drivetrain to tell if they need to be re-built, just serviced, or left alone?
- Engine
- Transmission
- Transfer Case
- Diffs

How hard is it to install the windshields on this thing? I read the manual and it mentions an "improvised" tool.

Many, many, many more questions to come.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Ah ok, I remember you.

Welcome to Steel Soldiers! :beer:

IAN_M715

i just spoke to a guy who might sell me his 47 CJ-2A. he performed the 12v conversion, all said and done was 1500 bucks. hopefully he was full of it and it only cost half as much. maybe even less to bring it back to 24 v. as far as the serial numbers go, the rules for the CJ-3B should apply to the M38A1 . Not 100% but the M38 was derrived from that model.
check this link:
http://www.film.queensu.ca/cj3b/SerialNos.html

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
IIRC, the CJ3B is a different class of Jeep from the M38 or M38A1. There was also the M606 which was a military version of the 3B. M38s closely resembled their civilian counterpart the CJ3A and the M38A1 was the predecessor to the CJ-5. Again, coming from a very foggy area of brain that has been largely dormant for some time.

AaronHorrocks

troy.m38a1 said:
Supposedly, a "good" 12 volt conversion was done that will be easy to switch back to 24V. What do I need to look for as I try to switch that back?

It took me about $2,000 and several months to get my M38A1 from 12V to 24V

FrankUSMC

RE: Re: New Project - 1953 M38A1

That is a nice looking and very complete M38A1. I just sold my Marine one.....miss it already.
I have some unopen carburator rebuild kits for the M38A1 at $20.00 plus shipping.
I also have a military jerry can holder if you need one for $15.00
One of the few, Frank

Crunchy

troy.m38a1 said:
Hey all, just bought a 1953 M38A1 that I'm going to pick up this weekend.

When I take a look at this thing, how can I tell if the "numbers match" between the frame, body, and engine?

How hard is it to install the windshields on this thing? I read the manual and it mentions an "improvised" tool.

Many, many, many more questions to come.
There were no 'matching numbers' on these units, ie: tub numbers didn't match block numbers. There are two primary sets of numbers on them. The first is the "Patent Plate" located behind the passenger seat on the leading edge of the tire well. It's about 2"x3" or so and will have the MDXXXXXX stamped in it. That's the serial number for the vehicle. This plate is more often than not intact, but covered with a zillion layers of paint. Just look for the four screws. If they're there, the plate is most probably there.

The second set of numbers is located on the data plate on the passenger side just below the grab handle. It will have the SAME MDXXXXX stamped in it as the Patent Plate mentioned above. It will also have the delivery month and year stamped along with the inspectors initials. This dataplate is more often missing then present.

The final number is on the block. It's on a flat boss just below the water thermostat housing. It would NOT match the serial number from the patent plate or dash data plate.

There's also a 283L on the left frame rail behind the bumper gusset. It's on all of them.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks