• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1022 Gichner Mobilizers

Rkrug

Has any one ever used one of these before, I was thinking of getting one (if i could get it for a good price) Because I have a couple of storage containers that I would like to be able to move around. Does it just have air breaks ,and what powers the lifting mechanism to lift up the container?
Thanks

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
The 1022 should have videos on youtube.
Pretty sure they have gas or diesel motors that run the hydro pumps. Might even move under their own power too. Been a while since I looked at them.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Those are M1022 mobilizers, not the later M1022A1 ones that have the engine-driven pumps and height adjustment. I made the mistake of buying three of them from a GL auction several years ago without previewing them and without paying enough attention to the pictures. My intention was to use them to be able to move around my 20' sea containers, but the plan was a complete failure for two reasons:

1. The three units I got didn't include enough parts to complete one of them. Only one had the drawbar, and there was one upper pin and one lower pin between the three of them (four of each are needed to attach them to a container). Only one or two had the hardware necessary to connect the two halves together for unloaded transport.
  2. The M1022 is made for the older, shorter size of sea container, and all of my containers are about 6" too tall to be used with the M1022. Unlike the newer M1022A1, the M1022 is not adjustable for container height. Even if my mobilizers were complete and in good condition, they would be useless for me without cutting off the tops and welding in height extensions.

I still have the three mobilizers sitting around, but they're scrap to me. I've harvested a wheel or two for use on my old M543A2 wrecker, and I may include the rest of the wheels when I put my M543A2 up for sale in about a month, after my new M936A1 arrives.

Now, if you happen to have old short containers and/or are not bothered by the idea of modifying the mobilizers for modern container height, here's how they work: There's a hydraulic hand pump at each of the four corners, with each one controlling one of the four hydraulic rams. The TM says to have four people simultaneously pumping at the four corners, but if the container is not too heavy then you could probably lift it with one or two people by walking around the unit and giving each corner a pump. Just be careful to avoid overstressing anything by putting too much load on a single corner. I have a commo shelter with a mobilizer which has one pump at each end, and I can lift/lower it by myself. The M1022 would take more walking around to lift single-handedly though, since pumping a single ram would put a twisting load on the assembly while my commo shelter just pivots around each axle axis when the pumps are operated individually.

The M1022 has wedge-type air brakes and air bag suspension. There are hand valves on the mobilizer to allow you to manually control the parking and service brakes when the mobilizer is connected to an air pressure source, and the parking brake cans can be manually caged with caging bolts.

I don't remember the exact height of container that the M1022 is made for, but I can measure the pin spacings on mine this weekend if needed.

Feel free to ask more questions if I didn't explain things clearly enough.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Ah, I remembered something else: Other pieces missing from my units are the second drawbar that's used for moving the rear half into place by itself, and the pair of casters that's needed for doing that. I can't quite tell if they're present in the pictured one(s) above. I might be able to tell if higher resolution pics are available.

Do you see those four boxes mounted around mid-height next to the crossed arms? Those are the hydraulic hand pumps. The boxy part is the reservoir, and the hand pump is next to it. Now that I think of it, I think that they may also include air motors which can be used in place of the hand pumps, and you could probably rig up a manifold to let a single operator run all four pumps from one location. It's been a while since I looked closely at my M1022 carcasses, so I'm not positive about that.

Rkrug

Thanks for the info nf6x ,that would be gate if you could measure the size container it takes ,if you have time.

Bighurt

I hear they tow like crap and are more work then they are worth. However You don't need a crane or fork to move a container like you would with a trailer.

I would like one just to play with.

NEIOWA

M0122 pulls great at 65mph on Interstate with a pickup (no container). No issues at all. Have not towed one extended with a box in the middle. I see no reason why towing performance would be worse with a longer wheel base.

backing a short WB full "trailer" with a crewcab piclup is a "challenge".

Standard ISO container is 8' high and most are still this high. HICUBE is up to 9'6" high

Photo looks like a caster wheel is visible. They stow on the upright "arms". See the TM.

get the TM and shows everything you need to know about the dollys.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
My three ordinary sea containers are all about 6" taller than the M1022 is made to work with. I don't have a link to the specifics, but I recall reading when I learned about this stuff that sea containers were originally about 6" shorter than the ones which are commonly used now.

I'll try to remember to measure both my sea containers and my M1022 carcasses this weekend.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Exactly! I was mad at myself for buying the useless dollies, until I realized that my total cost including transport was about what the tires on them would have cost, and the tires and wheels were direct swaps for my M543A2. There are also other components on them like the rams, pumps, air bags, etc. that might be useful to a handy person.

Bighurt

After reading the TM and watching the product information video a CDK mobile. I can think of a ton of uses for an operational set. Particularly as a contractor

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Exactly! I was mad at myself for buying the useless dollies, until I realized that my total cost including transport was about what the tires on them would have cost, and the tires and wheels were direct swaps for my M543A2. There are also other components on them like the rams, pumps, air bags, etc. that might be useful to a handy person.

Yup, thats why I got mine. I would love to find some more near me.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Other than the tires it would be difficult to use the M1022 for the intended purpose.

It's been awhile but I've loaded and used the M1022. The MILVANs and ISO shelters used in military units are 8x8x20. The standard commercial SEALAND container is 8 w x 8'6" h x 20' L. So yes the M1022 is too short. I've never performed a dolly container lift using less than 2 people and we were running back and forth like crazy. The pumps and cylinders were always going bad. Straight driving, no problem. Doing corners took some learning. Backing up---Forget it. I use to back hay wagons into the barn but backing a M1022 is that X1000. The majority of M1022's have not been used but sat in motorpools or storage sites. You might say they are the choice of last resort for transportation (right after having soldiers pick up and carry the MILVAN on their backs). Expect these to have sat A LOT. They were all directed to be turned in 2 years ago since enough M1022A1's were on hand.

The M1022A1 has a motor and height adjustment capability. There should be a good video on those on the internet. Good luck finding one (they're under a military rebuild program even though they stilll aren't used) and if you do find one, it'll probably be expensive.

They're pretty obsolete by now because of the palletized load system (PLS) trucks. Last time I heard they were used in combat was by some hospital unit during OIF I.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
That pictured shelter also doesn't appear to be set up to be moved by any kind of shelter dolly at all, even the ones used with various non-ISO commo shelters. So, it'd strictly be moved by crane with a sling attached to the top lifting rings, or mounted on the back of a truck or flatbed trailer.

Here's an example of a 12' long (i.e., deuce-sized) comm shelter that is set up for movement by dolly. Notice the extra mounting hardware for attachment of the dolly. You can probably only see the mounting points added for the bolts at the top of the dolly, but there's also added hardware at the bottom edges of the shelter where the bottom of the dolly hooks on.

S-448 Communications Shelter » Mark's Green Pages

billwhip

I have two of these and they're great for the price - especially if you get all the important pieces - mainly the lower bolts to them attach to the containers. You can make everything else fairly easily, probably even the lower bolts too...

I've extended the arms to accomodate standard 8'6" and 9'6" containers.

here's a photo from this last weekend when I went to pick up a 40'er down in Baytown TX -- about 70-80 miles each way...

M932A2andM1022with40footConex.jpg

towing them empty they do have a tendency to wiggle, mainly downhill when they're pushing, but a quick (careful) pop on the breaks and the straighten right up. With 20'ers they pull just fine and aren't too bad at intersections (about the same as a full length semi-trailer). And with 40'ers they pull fine too - except turning at intersections they rear wheels cheat about, geez, 18-30 feet– basically the container is a vehicle with a 50’ wheelbase - so on two lane roads you begin and end right turns on the far left side of the road and might still need a bit more on the inside... and like someone else pointed out backing up is near impossible...

as far as attaching them it all depends on the ground the better the surface (harder and flatter) the easier it is... when separated and rolling them around with the casters they are "front" heavy (container side) and will tip/fall over if you're not careful. I've found it's best to only push by rolling the big tires and the casters tend act as brakes so I use a block and a crowbar to lift up one side to adjust the caster for direction. Get within an inch or two and it’s a cake walk from there…

and lifting I can do it by myself in about 20 minutes, yes it is like keystone cops running around, but it isn’t hard… there are air motors on all the pumps so you can use a bunch of air hoses and your truck to power them, but I’ve found it’s quicker just to pump them by hand rather than rolling out a bunch of hoses – remember you want raise the container as evenly as possible… And always carry extra fluid – they tend to leak at the worst time…

and be mindful of the weight – and empty 40’er is about a full load…

I’ve heard some states won’t let you register them – Texas will… and my guess is you might need permits for 40’ers in most states… here in TX technically I think you do, but since I tow mine with a tractor there’s a loophole - I can have a single trailer up to 59’ without a permit – if I used my deuce I’d need a permit…

billwhip

If anyone buys these for the tires - please save the airbags and the bolts, and probably the cables too – those parts are hard to find, and it would be nice to not have to make spares/replacements. Right now I'm actually looking for a couple of the lower "J-bolts" that attach to containers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks