• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M1022 Gichner Mobilizers

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don’t have to declare it surplus and start the surplus declaration for it with your municipality so they can include it in their auction?

Is this still working safely for you?
I trust you used grade 8 bolts.
Have been able to find someone who sells the actual j-bolts made to secure the container to the dolly?
No. I made records of the seals I got for the hydraulic cyls. All of mine leaked. Not now.
I tried the supplier to the military by email. crickets only.
It appears the policy on parts is not to supply anyone but the military. Probably a tactical decision.
I raise mine with a hand pump or a snow plow pump.
I paralled the cyls on each end unit. Pumping just one at a time is dramatically more difficult.

NEIOWA

Mmmmmm NEIOWA (is NE Iowa)

DOD "cost" is $26160. Not relevant

$500 might be a M720 (have x3) nice litte units. M1022 is nothing similar to a M720 other than concept. Every M1022 I've ever seen coming thru DOD surplus was missing much of the BII (such as IV cables, Air lines and, in particular, the container locking pins). Some at auction now in Ca do not show BII as present other thant IV/air.

Looks like $2500-2850 is recent auction price range for units in Midwest (Kansas).

Trenttarasen

I have simple "work arounds" for the typically missing stuff. Like the special bolts that attach it to the box.

If you need the numbers and where to buy the lift cyl seals for the M1022 (NOT A1) I can send you my notes.

My choices were all 5000PSI seals.
The average PSI to lift my S280 (empty) is 800-900psi. Lifting one end at a time.
Before the new seals pressure typically exceeded 2100.
And they leaked fast.

I have also cross connected the cyls on each end.
That makes it self balancing as it comes up.
I did the cross connect with 3/16 steel auto brake line tubing.
I did have to custom make one part to connect the cyls to the tubing. 1/4" male brass pipe plug drilled to accept 3/16" brake tube soldered together.

I tested the 3/16 tubing to more than 6000lbs.
A "blow out" would have been too much execitement.
I used type "M" garage air hose couplers.
YES. They were in the max pressure test.
10+ pressure cycles.

New seals, and cross connecting the cyls, made it dramatically easier to lift the box.
One man ops all the way.

I am using a pump I found that was discarded.
It has a 5 gallon reservoir and is operated by a lever on it's top.
I can send pictures on request.

FYI I think a 1/2" shim under the suspension bumpers will keep the weight from pinching the air bags when the pressure leaks out.
I've seen other rubber air seals fail from being pinched like that.

X
Hello just purchased one. Would like any notes you have thank you.

lifted-04-lj

don't waste the bottom bolts - they're the most important and hardest to find... you can use almost anything and some washers/plates for the top ones - especially since you're extending the top... here's a couple of pictures of the top bolts and plugs on the cable....

View attachment 411858View attachment 411859

pulling 40'ers takes a bit of route planning and luck...

Can I get measurements/specs for the top and bottom bolts? I'll also have to make the removeable 'dolly's in your picture. Mine is missing them.

Thanks in advance,
Mark

lifted-04-lj

Hello sir. I am looking for parts for my M1022 (not the A1). I need the 8 locking pins that attach into the corners of the shipping container. Also need the 4 triangle wedge shaped brackets with castor rolling wheels.

If you have any of these parts or know someone who does, please PM me. Thank you!
I need the 4 triangle wedge shaped brackets with castor rolling wheels as well. I can make them. Does anyone have measurements?

Thanks,
Mark

kleinertn17

I have simple "work arounds" for the typically missing stuff. Like the special bolts that attach it to the box.

If you need the numbers and where to buy the lift cyl seals for the M1022 (NOT A1) I can send you my notes.

My choices were all 5000PSI seals.
The average PSI to lift my S280 (empty) is 800-900psi. Lifting one end at a time.
Before the new seals pressure typically exceeded 2100.
And they leaked fast.

I have also cross connected the cyls on each end.
That makes it self balancing as it comes up.
I did the cross connect with 3/16 steel auto brake line tubing.
I did have to custom make one part to connect the cyls to the tubing. 1/4" male brass pipe plug drilled to accept 3/16" brake tube soldered together.

I tested the 3/16 tubing to more than 6000lbs.
A "blow out" would have been too much execitement.
I used type "M" garage air hose couplers.
YES. They were in the max pressure test.
10+ pressure cycles.

New seals, and cross connecting the cyls, made it dramatically easier to lift the box.
One man ops all the way.

I am using a pump I found that was discarded.
It has a 5 gallon reservoir and is operated by a lever on it's top.
I can send pictures on request.

FYI I think a 1/2" shim under the suspension bumpers will keep the weight from pinching the air bags when the pressure leaks out.
I've seen other rubber air seals fail from being pinched like that.

X

Hello, I was curious if you would share your work around for the bottom locking pins?

Reaction

Those are M1022 mobilizers, not the later M1022A1 ones that have the engine-driven pumps and height adjustment. I made the mistake of buying three of them from a GL auction several years ago without previewing them and without paying enough attention to the pictures. My intention was to use them to be able to move around my 20' sea containers, but the plan was a complete failure for two reasons:

1. The three units I got didn't include enough parts to complete one of them. Only one had the drawbar, and there was one upper pin and one lower pin between the three of them (four of each are needed to attach them to a container). Only one or two had the hardware necessary to connect the two halves together for unloaded transport.
  2. The M1022 is made for the older, shorter size of sea container, and all of my containers are about 6" too tall to be used with the M1022. Unlike the newer M1022A1, the M1022 is not adjustable for container height. Even if my mobilizers were complete and in good condition, they would be useless for me without cutting off the tops and welding in height extensions.

I still have the three mobilizers sitting around, but they're scrap to me. I've harvested a wheel or two for use on my old M543A2 wrecker, and I may include the rest of the wheels when I put my M543A2 up for sale in about a month, after my new M936A1 arrives.

Now, if you happen to have old short containers and/or are not bothered by the idea of modifying the mobilizers for modern container height, here's how they work: There's a hydraulic hand pump at each of the four corners, with each one controlling one of the four hydraulic rams. The TM says to have four people simultaneously pumping at the four corners, but if the container is not too heavy then you could probably lift it with one or two people by walking around the unit and giving each corner a pump. Just be careful to avoid overstressing anything by putting too much load on a single corner. I have a commo shelter with a mobilizer which has one pump at each end, and I can lift/lower it by myself. The M1022 would take more walking around to lift single-handedly though, since pumping a single ram would put a twisting load on the assembly while my commo shelter just pivots around each axle axis when the pumps are operated individually.

The M1022 has wedge-type air brakes and air bag suspension. There are hand valves on the mobilizer to allow you to manually control the parking and service brakes when the mobilizer is connected to an air pressure source, and the parking brake cans can be manually caged with caging bolts.

I don't remember the exact height of container that the M1022 is made for, but I can measure the pin spacings on mine this weekend if needed.

Feel free to ask more questions if I didn't explain things clearly enough.
Hey Mark,

A friend & I recently started down the path of rehabbing an M1022 that was deemed pretty much scrap metal.
At some point someone cut off the brackets that the rams mount to - might you still have your M1022 that you're parting and be willing to torch those off?
This weekend we removed & polished rams, worked on the pumps and inventoried all the things we'll need to replace.

Slim chance - but do you have the container j-bolts or air springs/bags that you'd be willing to part with either?

Thanks much for your informative posts and any help!

Attachments

kleinertn17

No. I made records of the seals I got for the hydraulic cyls. All of mine leaked. Not now.
I tried the supplier to the military by email. crickets only.
It appears the policy on parts is not to supply anyone but the military. Probably a tactical decision.
I raise mine with a hand pump or a snow plow pump.

Hello Bob, could you share or PM me the seals part numbers you was able to locate?

NEIOWA

Those are some big tires on that rig. Think it will drop down all the way to the ground with the struts plumb/vertical?

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks