• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G506 questions

moose97

There's a G506 dumper about 4 hours from me that I'd be interested in picking up if I could get some answers.

I haven't been able to look at it in person yet, but have been told that some of the metal is rough with some rust and dents. It is missing the hood and side shields. It doesn't run, but that's okay since I would want to replace the straight 6 and tranny anyway. Tires hold air, but are maybe 20% up front and 50% in the rear.

So, questions - how much would you pay for a G506 in this shape? Tough without pics, I know, but sorry, I don't have any, and haven't seen any myself. How hard will it be to find the missing parts? I have read that there are some tough parts to find (gas tank, etc). I've also read that they are somewhat small (cab/legroom), and that's a big concern for me since I'm 6'7". Even though these guys are likely not tall, the truck looks fairly roomy. Any info in that regard?:

GMC MILITAR 1942 QT G506 - YouTube

Thanks for any info...

I would think anything around a grand would be ok. I was able to get nos side engine covers for mine for 50 a piece. Don't have a glue were you'd find a engine hood. Good luck and post some pics if you can!

mhassett

I replaced the cab on mine.
There are still some good parts, so give me a call ass there might ber something you need.
MHassett
Bush, LA

kelley

I also have G506 pictures and questions

I went to Maine and picked up a little souvenier. This old girl has been "ridden hard and .......Left out in the rain" for Many Many years. The Gentleman that sold it to me has owned it for 27 years. His Grandfather owned it before him.
It doesn't run and hasn't for quite some time. Does anyone know what the cab to axle dimension should be? Will 6 hole Bud wheels from a Deuce also fit this truck? So many questions. Oh by the way this is my first post, How did i do?

Attachments

highfavor1004

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I think your not looking at a G506 but CCKW bobbed. The axles are not in the right place for a G506. Yes you can use the 6 hole bud wheels for the truck.

kelley

You may be right. The frame has been cut and welded counless times. The front 2 feet is an absolute mess due to multiple attempts at building a plow frame. Maybe I can clean the placards up enough to read them.

gabby4244

Hey Kelly, nice find ! Looks like ya got yourself a bit of a project, wow !! Best of luck !! Did the bed come with it, if not, what type bed is it ?!? Thanx.

kelley

Hi Gabby, It's the cargo box from an M105 trailer. I've got a "restoration" thread on the g503 site. I'm the new 506 owner. I used to keep a boat at the West alton Marina. Nice lake you've got there.

gabby4244

I'll check the thread, I'm on a hunt for a g506 !! Got the bug BAD !! Got a couple of leeds, but nothing solid !!!! We sit right on the lake, only thing missing is a 506 !!!!!!!!!!!!

gabby4244

What a difference !!! Tried to check the 503 site,under resto, no luck. Are ya gonna fab. that m105 trailer as a bed, cause it look good in the pix !!

gabby4244

One of the 506's I'm looking at doesn't have a bed and kinda stumped what way ta go ! Can you get away with a good looking bolt on ?

Last edited:

gabby4244

No not really and shipping seems to be a prob. because of height over 7'2" of cab. one's a g506 from out south west, restored 10 yrs ago, great shape ! The others from same area less $ with no rear bed but also in great shape ! I wish they were local !!!!

kelley

Shipping a truck cross country is expensive, but so is fixing up a rotten old hulk. Mine will never win "best in show" I want it to look like it's been around and worked hard.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks