• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Combat rims

FrankUSMC

True story about combat rims and our"Greatest Generation".
About 15 years ago, I picked up a nice 1943 Ford GPW Jeep. It came with the wrong tires and rims. I had some WWII jeep combat rims to put on it, but they were not in the best of shape. They were rusted out around the valve stem area, were water was trapped, and rotted the area out. What was I to do?
Enter, our greatest generation. MGySgt. Hopfer. He joined our beloved Corps in June 1941, and called it home for the next 30 plus years. He was awarded the Purple heart on Guam, and the Bronze star on Iwa Jima. He served in the Korean war and pulled two tours in Viet Nam, plus he is the best dammed welder you will ever find. He took my combat rims apart, wire brushed them for a couple of days with a wire brush. He cut the rust areas out and hand made new panels to put in, with holes for the valve stems. Welded every thing back in. That was over 15 years ago, and the combat rims, to this day, are still straight and true.
But, hold on to your gear shifters, theres is more to this story!
One day, I was talking to MGySgt Hopfer, about his fine welding of my combat rims, and I showed him an article in a Military vehicle magizine on WWII jeep combat rims. The arthur of the story told about the care and how take apart the combat rim, plus what to look for while working on one. The story went "if a combat rim is damaged or rusted out, DO NOT use it. As it can not be repaired."
After reading how a combat rim could not be repaired, the old Marine handed me back the magizine. he looked at me and said. "What branch of the military was that guy in?" I replied "I think he was in the Air force".
MGySgt. Hopfer, shook his head slowly and said..."Boy, they sure SPOILED him..."
God bless the Greatest Generation.
Sorry for the long and true story.
One of the few, Frank

NB1944

I love it! Got to love the Gunny! Got any 'unusable' rims you want to sell? If I followed the advice of that article, we would never find rims that were usable!!

FrankUSMC

I have no rims now for sell, sorry.
The Rims the MgySgt Hopfer repaired for me over now over 16 years ago, are still doing fine.
One of the few, Frank USMC RET

NB1944

We need more guys like him!!

I came across some rims... the seller claims they are Jeep rims. I don't recognize them (which is to say that they are neither combat rims nor CJ rims). Combat rims are solid all the way around the circumfrence of the rim and have the bolts. These rims (4 of them) are solid and the center section as three small oval holes (approx 1.5" long). What do you think they are? Could they be AgriJeep rims? I have never seen them, but it occurs to me that this is what they might be. Any thoughts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks