• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M38 ?'s for a potential new owner

puppy

I am looking to scratch the itch for a Willys jeep that I have had for years. I first thought a CJ-2A was about the only option b/c that is all I had ever known. My research led me to the CJ-3A option and then to the M38 that I think is the one.

1. Is there enough diffenence to matter?
2. Is the M38 more valueable than the civvy 3A?
3. What is the going rate for a running/driving M38?
4. Why is the M38A1 so much more popular in this forum?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP

dependable

Flat fender jeeps were my first automotive obsession. Been a while, so forgive me I'm wrong about something: The Willys MB to M38 A 1, and the civilian CJ 2 and 3A & 3B are going to be a similar driving experience, In fact you can add the Kaiser CJ 5 up to 1969 to the list. All had 134 cubic inch long stroked 4 cyl engines. 1946 and newer had timing gears. All but the MB (&GPW, The rare Ford made MB) had a T-90 tranny and similar running gear ect. WW 2 jeeps had a t-84 transmission that shift a little nicer but are less durable. There were gear ratio changes, I believe down after 1945. The CJ 3B, a tall hooded flat fender, and the curved hooded M 38A1 and CJ5s had a F head engine, same block as later flat heads, but with overhead intake valves and intake manifold in head. The F Heads had somewhat better performance. Military versions are always worth more. 'Going rate' is going to vary a lot, like any vehicle, from farm drivers, to carefully restored specimens. I just got into an old jeep (the GPW I posted about yesterday) for the first time in 20 some years. I forgot how tight a fit they are behind the wheel if you're over 6 ft. Guess I did not mind when I was younger.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I am looking to scratch the itch for a Willys jeep that I have had for years. I first thought a CJ-2A was about the only option b/c that is all I had ever known. My research led me to the CJ-3A option and then to the M38 that I think is the one.

1. Is there enough diffenence to matter?
2. Is the M38 more valueable than the civvy 3A?
3. What is the going rate for a running/driving M38?
4. Why is the M38A1 so much more popular in this forum?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,
JP
1. I guess it depends-are you hung up on having a military Jeep, or just a certain look or appearance? I am more of an MV guy than a Jeep guy, so I'd want an M38 or an M38A1.
2. I don't know. I don't follow the civvy units enough to have an idea.
3. I've seen some real atrocious disasters that still managed to propel themselves around the block for a grand or so. I'd say for something that isn't a total POS, has a majority of it's original stuff and run, you can figure $3Kish, give or take.
4. I don't know that its more popular, but it is more common. I think it's an age/production #s issue but I could be wrong.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks