• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M936 - Prices?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
It depends on where you buy them, condition and how bad you want one.

Not many indidviduals buy wreckers to flip for a profit.....it ties up a lot of capital.

The big surplus dealers are real proud of theirs.

martinwcox

Not many indidviduals buy wreckers to flip for a profit.....it ties up a lot of capital.

LOL that last line is a classic, I know exactly what you mean, must be the gold plated winch cable or something!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I almost spit coffee out my nose today when I saw one listed on eBay for $38,500. The only thing that saved me was that I wasn't drinking coffee at the time.

Danl

Danl M915A1

don't care about big Dealers and there Golden winch what it a truck with a wrecker body going to cost a SS one that is in good shape, The use of this truck is to Recover Gl trucks 200 miles around , what that wrouth

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
added costs

If you are just getting a wrecker for GL collections, you won't have to worry too much about the correct BII. Collecting this can be expencive if you want the 'right' equipment for 'display/show' purposes and its a throw of the die as to what a GL win will bring you - see other threads on 936 Recovery etc.

Otherwise, air hoses, safety chains, tag lights etc., can all be aquired "locally" ie., NAPA, Tractor Supply, farm/yard sales, your own tools etc. Even a spreader bar can be fab'd in lieu of the correct whiffle tree for suspended tows. Plenty of 'towbars' are out there for flat towing too - At the time of this posting there were upwards of 18 listed seperately or in 3's/4's on GL.

GL wins I have seen go from 'breakers' at $3000 on up to running but unknown BII to over $12,000

Good luck with your search. Preview if at all possible.

markmontana

I think a really good running 936 with full BII kit would be a good value in the 20's. I mean a truck that is proven to run and is FULLY operational. Not a flipper right off the GL lot. If the body and paint are really Primo- then maybe even high 20's.

Like CARNAC said- what you need is lifting capability in your fleet.

rickpolak1

I just recently purchased a fully operational 1987 M936A1 with extremely low miles and hours. Found it locally here in S. Florida. Came with a clear Florida title as well. The previous owner installed new tires all the way around including the spare. Front and rear winch lines were still packed in their original grease and they appeared to have never been used. All the block, tackle and rigging was intact and in brand new condition. I paid $13,000.00 for it and in my opinion it was a great deal considering how much I craved owning this truck, but honestly I really have no idea what its value is. It did need a new muffler, rear spot lights, windshield glass was cracked and is missing the cushion to the wrecker seat. Hope this helps!
Rick

fuzzytoaster

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M543 and M816 models can be had for around the $6500-$12,000 range for private sale. Finding a cherry one is getting hard these days and may be in the high 20's if near perfect condition.

M936 "A0" (as some call it) and M936A1 would be in the $8500-$14,500 range. The M936A2 usually range from $9,500-$18,500 due to the power plant but are also more recently rebuilt/overhauled so demand is higher.

At the end of the day if you can score a running M936A2 without BII for $10,000-$12,000 you did pretty well.

Ajax MD

M543 and M816 models can be had for around the $6500-$12,000 range for private sale. Finding a cherry one is getting hard these days and may be in the high 20's if near perfect condition.

M936 "A0" (as some call it) and M936A1 would be in the $8500-$14,500 range. The M936A2 usually range from $9,500-$18,500 due to the power plant but are also more recently rebuilt/overhauled so demand is higher.

At the end of the day if you can score a running M936A2 without BII for $10,000-$12,000 you did pretty well.

From what I've observed in my very limited experience, the 900 series trucks are very popular, much more so than the 809's.
I get it- the more modern engines, automatic transmissions and other bells and whistles plus the fact that they are much newer makes them very attractive.

Based on what you're saying, I guess I did ok. I paid $6k and $200 for delivery for complete runner M813 wo/w, with hard top and heater, very little rust that just needs servicing and a thorough cleaning up.
There was a nice 900 series truck with lockers in the classifieds for $6500, IIRC but I passed on it because automatic transmissions intimidate me and the truck had no bed. I needed at least a little practicality to justify the purchase. ;)

162tcat

From what I've observed in my very limited experience, the 900 series trucks are very popular, much more so than the 809's.
I get it- the more modern engines, automatic transmissions and other bells and whistles plus the fact that they are much newer makes them very attractive.

Based on what you're saying, I guess I did ok. I paid $6k and $200 for delivery for complete runner M813 wo/w, with hard top and heater, very little rust that just needs servicing and a thorough cleaning up.
There was a nice 900 series truck with lockers in the classifieds for $6500, IIRC but I passed on it because automatic transmissions intimidate me and the truck had no bed. I needed at least a little practicality to justify the purchase. ;)
Air brakes is another big selling feature that makes the 939 series more popular than the 809 series. Owning both, I can tell you that I'm much more confident with a load and parking on a hill in my 923 than I am in the 817. I like the feel of the 817 brakes but no redundancy and a crappy parking brake scares me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ajax MD

Air brakes is another big selling feature that makes the 939 series more popular than the 809 series. Owning both, I can tell you that I'm much more confident with a load and parking on a hill in my 923 than I am in the 817. I like the feel of the 817 brakes but no redundancy and a crappy parking brake scares me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I agree about the single circuit brakes. It is a planned project to try to upgrade to dual circuit air over hydraulic on my truck. I'm hip deep in this thread:
https://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?73346-Dual-Circuit-Brake-Engineering-Thread/page7

I realize it's for deuces but the engineering principles should be the same.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks