• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M35a2 WIRE HARNESS

commandojd

I have been looking around for a front wire harness for my m35a2 and have narrowed it down to a couple places where I can purchase one. Both Eriks military and Easter surplus & equipment has them for sale.
I contacted both companies and Eriks said their harnesses fit with no mods or splicing required....but Eastern surplus said their harnesses may require splicing because there are many variations of wiring in the deuce trucks.
Have any of you guys had to do any extra spicing and such to install a harness in your trucks???
Or have you ever purchased a harness from either of these companies???

I ask because their prices are so far apart.....Eriks has them for $250 and Easter has them for $140...BIG difference!
Let me know what you guys think
[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Eastern told you that because they're selling a slightly older version of the harness that is for earlier models with the 25A generator and some other small differences I don't remember.

There are several threads about the main harness and the ones being sold in various places.

I'd suggest doing a search and reading up. They should answer most of your questions.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No harness fits perfectly? BULL****!!!! He is selling an older version that doesnt fit perfectly... There is an extensive thread about the correct NSN harness that I added a bunch of info to a while back. And here it is... http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/10746-e-bay-wiring-harness.html#post101477

If you have an M35A2, you need this part: NSN 2590-01-016-3187, Part # 11677081 it is the front harness for a multifuel with the 60 amp genny. NOT the 25 Amp Genny.

Here is the NSN info from that thread..

The M35A2 (not gassers and A1's) series trucks all use the same front harness.. NSN 2590-01-016-3187, Part # 11677081

Back harnesses.. There are several..
NSN 5995-00-076-6000 Part # 10896676
Fits: M35A2, M35A2C, M36A2, M109A3, and M185A3 (Cargos and Vans)

NSN 6150-00-489-0329 Part # 10896677
Fits M49A2C's and M50A3's (Tankers)

NSN 5995-00-477-9881 Part #11609670
Fits M275A2

NSN 2590-00-189-5510 Part #10897095
Fits M342A2

Pipeline Deuce uses #11609696 and 4 others.. 1 for front clearance, 1 for front markers, 1 for left markers and one for right markers and rear markers. M342A2 harness is the one that Jeff at FLMV has/had in stock.

This info comes right from the latest -24P TM. The winch (or lack of) on a truck has no bearing on the electrcial system, so that fact does not matter when it comes to "which harness is for me" question.

Last edited:

gungearz

Can you just make your own harness? I know its a bit time consuming but you can always run the wires better by rerouting them around your modifications. Just by following the wiring diagram in the TM. You should be able to accomplish it very easy. Then you would have brand new wires instead of used or new/old stock. Just a thought....

steelandcanvas

Another Option

Do you really need a complete new front harness? Can the existing one be repaired? Erik's has the correct Mil-Spec connectors and wire, to replace the damaged stuff. With a pair of wire stripper/crimpers, some heat shrink, a few butt connectors, you might just find it easier and cheaper to repair.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also a great question.. Can you repair the existing one?

At MV shows and ebay, I try to find the good cheap "I have no idea what it fits" wiring harnesses that are still soft/flexble just for "parts" to replace and make up new wiring for my vehicles. Much easier than replacing a harness, and much cheaper if you just need a connector or two. beltfed34 on ebay has them all the time.

commandojd

Well, I am in the process of fixing my deuce up so it is in perfect funct condition. The harness on it does work....but when I say work, I mean its their and it functions for the most part. Just about all my connection areas are worn and or have broken off and the main wire is pretty corroded in spots. In stead of having to go through the trouble of patching it up and getting all new connectors I figured its just time for a new one.
Thanks for all the GREAT info...it really helps!

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Making your own harness is not that difficult, but the costs add up quickly for the connectors, and it is a fair amount of work. It may be cheaper in the long run to get a new premade harness.

AN/ARC186

Out of all the trucks I've worked on that "needed" a new harness only one actually did, usually you can remove enough wrap to expose fresh wire and put on new connectors.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
All you guys asking about making a harness:

Yes, you can make one. All you'll have to do is buy dozens of the correct packards, hundreds of feet of high quality, correct gauge wire and a bunch of the blank circuit # tags, then stamp them each with the correct circuit #.

Them you'll have to lay the harness out and measure each circuit, put it all together, wrap it, crimp all the connectors (do you have the correct crimp tool?) and hopefully you didn't make a mistake.

A correct A2 harness is pictured below laid out on my driveway. Pulled it today (painting a truck so it had to come out). I should have put something next to it for scale. It's long.

Is all that effort worth $250? Is to me.

Attachments

Heath_h49008

I'm bumping this instead of opening a new thread.

I can't find the whole 11677081 without sacrificing a body part to buy it...

But from all indications the combination of 2590-00-076-6001 plus 2920-01-011-9068 added to arsenal number 11630528 should be the old LD465 harness and the two updates for the turn signals and the 60amp alternator.

Please double check me on this, or any advice/warnings on putting these three together.

Thanks in advance,

Heath

Last edited:

Dhallftworth

Is the harness from eastern surplus that far off? My harness shorted out at the main lighting connector and several wire are burnt in half less than an inch from the main connector.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is the harness from eastern surplus that far off? My harness shorted out at the main lighting connector and several wire are burnt in half less than an inch from the main connector.
How bad is it? The connectors can be disassembled and you can fix the connector and push out the pins. Just depends on how bad it is and your abilities.

Dhallftworth

How bad is it? The connectors can be disassembled and you can fix the connector and push out the pins. Just depends on how bad it is and your abilities.
I'm in electronics, so it's in my abilities, just haven't messed with this particular type of connector. Here are the pictures I just took, do you think it is salvageable?

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks