• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Proper tires for M916A2 Frieghtliner

barneyandfred

Hi, our 5 ton came with Goodyear 177 llR/22.5 on the rear and Michelin Pilote xzy 315/80R/22.5 on the front. It seems the front tires are just alittle taller than the rear, is this okay or do we need to replace the front tires? If we replace the front tires with some mud grips what size do we need? do they need to be taller than the rear? this is a 1994 Frieghtliner m916. thanks !!

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
From my knowledge which is very limited on this truck, I believe it would be a rear wheel drive truck designed for the highway. The size of the front tires would have no real impact on the operation of the truck as long as they were the following

1.) Properly rated tires for the weight
2.) A small degree of diameter difference

If the truck is a rear wheel drive, look at what you have, then what good would mud grips do on the truck as you have no drive capability

If I am wrong on the rear wheel drive only then as Gildna Radner use to say "Never Mind"
:)

Last edited:

barneyandfred

the truck is a 6x6, i dont have alot of info on the truck i believe it is a M916a2, it is the newer version that is a frieghtliner that looks like more of an over the road truck instead of the older military versions. thanks !

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The -10 TM merely says it takes "80R22.5/XZY-1" tires on all positions. The M917A1 dump trucks have different sized tires on the drive and steer position, but likely those are the same diameter.

Member BKubu on here has a M916A2, you could PM him and see if he has any information for you.

Danl

Danl M915A1

This truck Did you get it from a privet sale or did you get it from GL ? Is is not a Pick up truck. Its not uncomand to put floaters on the front. this being a 6 wheel drive. and pulling a heavy load, and the front being a slip your front wheels will pull a little more in snow when frated, thust keeping the front , going where you want it to go and not slideing with the Rears

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The Freightliner tractors have the same tires in all positions...315/80R22.5 (most often Michelin XZY-2 or 3). Check the data plate to confirm that it is an M916A2. If it is, yours is now the second that I have seen come out. Mine did not come through GL as I never seen another M916A2 on GL. A quick way to determine this without checking the data plate...does it have A/C? If so, it is an A2. If not, it is an A1. There are a few other differences, but nothing major.

M813A1

You need to keep the same size tires in all positions because of the front wheel drive if you do not use the same size you can damage the front axle and transfer case because of the different size tire !! Because the tire would be turning at different speeds and cause problems with the axle and transfer with the different size tires !! You can use a wider tire on the front as long as it is the same diameter tire as the the rear axles !!

Last edited:

Danl

Danl M915A1

maybe so 813 on sand mud TAR but Snow is a big ball of wax, I see it all the time on TV news 1 {one } inch of snow in a place that never has snow and the Place is closed down car sliding into each other,can not stop at the foot of a hill, can't even climb up a hill in snow. why ? Tires Yes we break Front ax now and than when we run on to much tar, That truck must of come from the north because its set up to pull in the snow

Danl

Danl M915A1

We also say you can only use four wheel drive in the snow with this set up your front has got to be able to spin. never run 4 on dry pavement

barneyandfred

thanks for the help guys. I think i want to put bigger tires all the way around, I agree those goodyear 177's are pretty wimpy. How about suggestions for bigger tires? our tires are about an inch taller in the front, i think if i just use 6x6 when we are offroad and need it then it will be okay like it is for now? I couldnt find my label to see if it is a M916a1 or not, my neighbor has one and i found where it says 916a1 on his, but his has a winch behind the cab and bigger engine than ours. ill look closer when im not working. thanks again !!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A photo would help here. Is your truck a 6x6?

It sounds like you have a 915 rather than a 916...

M1075

You probably have a M915A2 or M915A4, a basic road tractor. All M916s have winches behind the cab. None of them are referred to as "5 tons". If you want the biggest and baddest tires on a M916, you need to step up to 16R20. If you have a M915 model you may want to try 395 tires. I have some of those in OKC if you need them.

Here is one of our M916A1s where we removed the winch and added a tank and some big tires.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks