• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Rubber Track Pads.

tapeandgauze

I was wondering if there is a company that just makes the rubber for the pads. I have a M75 and I am on the search for tracks and pads. But I am wondering like I said before is there just a company that just makes the rubber pads. Thanks..

dittle

Best of luck to you. I tried a couple of years ago to get some pads for a M41 Walker Bulldog and was unable to find anything. Was even watching GL to see if they happened to be scrapping track that would use the same pads but with no luck.

JH1

Good luck finding any tracks. There are several rubber pad makers out there. They make pads for construction equipment. One is Scougal Rubber in Seattle. Be ready for a nuclear price tag, though.

An alternative I heard about is to brew up your own with castable polyurethane, I think it was. No heat necessary. Just make a mold, pour it in, and wait a day or so.

Jim

flyxpl

Do you know if your pads are similar to a M113 as in the pic ? The M548 and M113 pads are the same . I believe the track shoes may be the same also . I have also seen these pads on other tracked vehicles ,M574 ,I think , but not sure .

Attachments

Last edited:

Stalwart

Back when I had a M42A1 Duster, I ended up buying all the roadwheels, tracks sprockets and final drives from a M75 that had been cut off to make a failed tractor. It had all new pads on it.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try McLaren tracks. They make M113 tracks or at least show them in the ads. I bought a set of over the tire tracks for my Bobcat from them. They were "reasonable", that isn't saying they were cheap. They have held up to whatever I've thrown at them though. Good luck! mclarenusa.com/
(They actually list a military section and it contains photos of an M-60 and the M113. Say they make pads for both. At bottom left of opening page) Hope this helps!
God bless,
Tony:D

Last edited:

jkftl

I was wondering if there is a company that just makes the rubber for the pads. I have a M75 and I am on the search for tracks and pads. But I am wondering like I said before is there just a company that just makes the rubber pads. Thanks..
OK We have a M-41A2 with rubber chevrons worn flush to the cleats/grousers. Years of research reveals NOTHING available anywhere at any price. I submitted a worn sample to the leading construction vehicle shoe maker but they decline to enter production for a few hundred 'orphan' parts. They also estimated minimum $70 each ($10,000 per vehicle) unless we could guarantee thousands of shoes. We also considered sending them the old ones for rubber removal then remoulding with modern compounds. They declined for the same reasons plus environmental concers with burning out the old shoes.

I have just acquired some new surplus Bradley Fighting Vehicle shoes, and preliminary analysis indicates they can be made to fit well with some cutting and modification to the securing bolt. These blocks will be highly affordabe and will be available in nearly unlimited quantity. They will not have the true 'chevron' shape of the original, will be 80% of the original area, and will have just over 1/2" of wearable height, but we are into FUNCTION here. WAY better than nothing. HOW MANY miles do we need to put on these rare vehicles, anyway? Good pavement does not damage rubber blocks...it is loose gravel and sharp stones.

I will advise the Forum as this project continues. I expect to have a working prototype by mid-May, 2015. Production and road testing early summer.
John Kessler, Ft. Lauderdale

StarPoint

I was told by a friend that someone was looking for molded pads for tank treads. I am currently making a mold for a partial section of a M5 tank tread for a guy with a special project and can also create a mold for the whole rubber pad with and without chevron. I am also the rubber molding company starting to make half track treads and also treads for M2 High Speed Cletrac tractors.

I would be happy to discuss custom molding treads with anyone and I guarantee for much less than $70 per section.

Contact me at StarPointGreg@aol.com

StarPoint

We at StarPoint Extrusions are interested in talking to those who are interested in having tracks made. We would like to get our hands on clean metal hardware to be molded into finished parts. We use virgin rubber made in the USA. We are relatively new to the molding of large parts, but we have committed to making half-track tracks. If you are interested in getting parts molded contact us. StarPointExt.com

jkftl

We at StarPoint Extrusions are interested in talking to those who are interested in having tracks made. We would like to get our hands on clean metal hardware to be molded into finished parts. We use virgin rubber made in the USA. We are relatively new to the molding of large parts, but we have committed to making half-track tracks. If you are interested in getting parts molded contact us. StarPointExt.com
There is a WORLD of difference between half-track bands and heavy molded blocks. As I pointed out in my letter, in order to remould any track blocks you first must remove the old rubber. Rubber compound formulation can be determined by the original or current Mil Spec. Please examine some used blocks and decide how to do it. There are many companies doing it but nobody wants to tool up for limited production. Your thoughts?

StarPoint

I am aware of how hard it is to remove the rubber. I did one and that was enough. That is why I was asking if anyone was interested in taking the time to clean up the steel parts for us to mold rubber around. I found a place in England that removes the rubber using high pressure water, I emailed them and got no response. We are just throwing this out to see if there is any interest.

jkftl

I am aware of how hard it is to remove the rubber. I did one and that was enough. That is why I was asking if anyone was interested in taking the time to clean up the steel parts for us to mold rubber around. I found a place in England that removes the rubber using high pressure water, I emailed them and got no response. We are just throwing this out to see if there is any interest.
I am convinced that just playing a acetylene torch on the back of the shoe will melt/release the old rubber block, but may make a big stink. Heat needed to release rubber will be far below that which will damage the steel backing.I guess the time has come to do some genuine experimentation, since no contractor can seem to step up to do the job.

jkftl

OK We sliced the corners off the Bradley track pad It fits well and looks acceptable in our M-41A1. We are now getting a special adapter nut made to secure it in the M-41/family track segments. Will advise as project advances. We are acquiring Bradley pads in 200 lots. Final product should be affordable and durable.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks