• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Check your front axle spindle bolts!!!

AMGeneral

Folks,

With the masses of 5 tons and deuces of all series out there as well as the ones being surplussed,when you are checking/repacking you front wheel bearings take an extra 10 minutes to check/retorque those 20 odd spindle studs that are the main thing holding your wheel,hub and drum,brake backing plate(shoes,wheel cylinder,etc) and for all intensive purposes the axle itself to the axle housing.

While I was cleaning/repacking the front wheel bearings on one of the 5 tons today I noticed a groove cut into the back of the inner hub,upon further inspection I found the 5 of the spindle studs had been backed out of the housing on the last axle service and had been run up without the studs being seated properly in the knuckle housing.

The result was the studs themselves being almost 3/4 in too long and making constant contact with the back of the hub,wearing a groove into it,they barely had 3 threads holding them into the knuckle housing.

With the proper conditions,the studs could have been sheared out of the housing leaving 5 ea 5/8 x 2 in bolts rotating around in the brake drum,to say nothing about the added load the other 5 studs would have been under,most likely shearing off as well,causing a catastrophic failure of the front axle and most likely causing a wreck.

Attachments

AMGeneral

Brandon. If we jack up the tire and give a wiggle with a bar underneath, would it have been noticeable?
Actually Jeff,there wasn't any play like loose wheel bearings,but you could definetly tell when the studs made contact with one of the tapped holes in the back of the hub,it sounded and acted like a detent ball.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks