• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Hello from Columbus, OH!

Action Man

My name's Dan and I'm new to the forum.(Although I've browsed it for a while before I registered.) I'm an Army veteran living in Columbus, OH currently going to school for business administration. I was studying psychology, but I decided that opening my own gun store/range would be more enjoyable!;) I've been lurking government auctions probably since 2006 looking at CUCV's but I haven't seriously considered getting one until recently. I have a 2000 Mustang GT currently that's been my baby since I was still in the service, and recently had a remanned motor dropped in so she runs like new, but lately I've been itching to get a truck that I can haul stuff with. I'm testing the waters really right now to see if it would be worth it, but I might consider selling or trading my Mustang for an M1009 in decent shape. Or possibly keep the mustang and save up for an M1009. Not really sure how I'd go about doing it though, so I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction. I've never dealt with auctions before so I was wondering if it would be easier to do that or buy through a private owner. Any advice is appreciated!

Last edited:

197thhhc

Welcome from Cicncinnati. I would keep the mustang and save up. There a re a lot of CUCVs so you wont have trouble finding one. A spare vehicle is always good to have.

Action Man

Welcome from Cicncinnati. I would keep the mustang and save up. There a re a lot of CUCVs so you wont have trouble finding one. A spare vehicle is always good to have.
I've seen a lot that I like, but it seems like the running ones usually go for 4-5k at auction and are halfway across the country. The auction prices alone are a little intimidating without knowing much about the vehicle or even taking the logistics of getting one here into account. Keeping my Mustang would be nice, but it would probably take me a lot longer to get the funds together for a CUCV in that case.

hdexpert

Welcome from Worthington!! There are a lot of CUCV's out there, you might find one in central Ohio that a member's willing to part with. That's the best way to go, auctions are a crap shoot at best.

DerangedMadman

To be honest with you I would not rely on one to be my only form of transportation. These vehicles are old and to have one that is that reliable you need to do a lot of work to it first. There are things that will break and there are things you will want to do and upgrade. If it was me I would save up the money so you have the time to make the vehicle the way you want it. I love mine and whichever you decide good luck. I am near Columbus, Oh as well so if you need some help let me know.

Action Man

To be honest with you I would not rely on one to be my only form of transportation. These vehicles are old and to have one that is that reliable you need to do a lot of work to it first. There are things that will break and there are things you will want to do and upgrade. If it was me I would save up the money so you have the time to make the vehicle the way you want it. I love mine and whichever you decide good luck. I am near Columbus, Oh as well so if you need some help let me know.
Best case scenario I'd want to save up and keep my car. If I sold it/traded it I'd probably have a few thousand left over given the amount of work that's been put into the car, so that could potentially go into the truck for upgrades/repairs. I appreciate the offer on the help. Will keep that in mind!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Psychology to gun shop owner? You'll fit right in around here, welcome aboard from Dayton.

Action Man

Psychology to gun shop owner? You'll fit right in around here, welcome aboard from Dayton.
Yeah, I got about two years in and decided that I didn't care enough about peoples problems to be a clinical psychologist and didn't want to do all the math to be a researcher. Just wasn't my thing for a career, although I have an interest in the subject. Whereas fixing guns was my job in the military, so I figured I might as well go with something I enjoy.

CycleJay

Hello Dan,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, from Marietta, Ga.
If I were you I would keep the Mustang and save up or trade something for the M1009.
Like others have said, a backup vehicle is good to have, and the M1009 is old,
and some times things will be repairing or replacing, and if that is your only vehicle.
Then getting around when you need to, may be difficult, depending on the area you are in.
I speak from experience, keep the Mustang, and get the M1009 some other legal way.

And if you are ever in the Marietta, Ga. area, let me know, I would be glad to be of assistance,
should you ever need it, or if you just want to talk MV, that is okay too.

Good luck and God bless you

pegasus55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
And another good man succumbs to the "green psychosis"! Welcome to the Steel Soldiers! I too, would advise you keep your Mustang as your primary mode of transportation - as others have stated, you will find that these green machines can become money hungry and quite demanding at times. This way you will have a choice on who gets fed!

212sparky

Hello from down south. Come on over to the haspin fall rally oct 19, 20, 21. Lots of good people will be there with lots of trucks.

Action Man

Hello Dan,

Welcome to Steel Soldiers, from Marietta, Ga.
If I were you I would keep the Mustang and save up or trade something for the M1009.
Like others have said, a backup vehicle is good to have, and the M1009 is old,
and some times things will be repairing or replacing, and if that is your only vehicle.
Then getting around when you need to, may be difficult, depending on the area you are in.
I speak from experience, keep the Mustang, and get the M1009 some other legal way.

And if you are ever in the Marietta, Ga. area, let me know, I would be glad to be of assistance,
should you ever need it, or if you just want to talk MV, that is okay too.

Good luck and God bless you
Thanks for the advice Jay! I'll let you know if I'm ever in the area.

And another good man succumbs to the "green psychosis"! Welcome to the Steel Soldiers! I too, would advise you keep your Mustang as your primary mode of transportation - as others have stated, you will find that these green machines can become money hungry and quite demanding at times. This way you will have a choice on who gets fed!
I think I got the "green psychosis" back when I was in basic training. I saw these and a bunch of other vehicles just littering Fort Jackson abandoned. Wanted a CUCV ever since my drill sergeant told me the nomenclature for one.

Hello from down south. Come on over to the haspin fall rally oct 19, 20, 21. Lots of good people will be there with lots of trucks.
I just might check that out!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Welcome to the Green Iron Laughing Accademy.

The Green Iron Support Group will provide all the therapy you'll need.

Some guy tried to start a 12 step program but nobody wants to quit.rofl

There are a lot of good folks up your way. (Watch out for that Gimpy guy.....he ain't right.)

Latch on to some of them and come to the GA Rally in Oct.

A few nights around the campfire and any problems you have will seem very insignificant.auaaua

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks