• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M43 is home

toddbe

The Spotlight was not 'moving' so I removed it. Upon taking it apart I found a missing piece called a 'rack' GL-5938521. Still looking for this part.
DSC06182.jpgM43 Spot Light parts.jpgM43 Spot Light.jpg

Mayor Joe

Haven't check in for some time - nice to see your progress. I had all of the same issues regarding the roof, rust, leakage. Big problem with the roof seam. Took the advice of a heavy truck mechanic. Ground out the seam to bare metal, sealed with primer and used 3M 8423 epoxy bonding material. Sets fast, but you can fill the seam. Sanded it when cured - done. I removed most of the interior panels to inspect and make repairs easier. I also replaced the insulation while I had it open. Glad I did - it was worth the time.
Re: spot light 'rack' is yours missing, broken or damaged? The shaft on mine was rusted through. I had a friend make a new one out of stainless steel. If you still need help with it, let me know I have some suggestions - PM me. I close too - Near Chicago / Ind border. Happy to help.

toddbe

Major Joe - I was afraid the suggestion would be to pull the inside out. I was thinking the same thing. It might be be such a bad idea however, as I have decided to repaint the back inside the Seafoam Green, so everything has to come out anyways.

The rack is totally gone, so a replace is my only route.

More photos coming.

zout

Wow - looking at your roof just brought back flashback memories - doing mine was in the full GA sun in summer time.

I took a high speed sander with fibre discs to mine with 80 grit and whizzed the whole thing - then went over it with 120 - the rest was palm sanded down from there.

Nice work and she is starting to look good.

toddbe

In case you are wondering were the restoration states - will a slight delay. A 1947 Jeep Willy's came my way and my son wanted it this summer - so a slight delay. While it might not be military - we are still going with OD, canvas seat, top, etc.

Yesterday another interesting vehicle came my way - a 1968 M601. Information I have is that it was part of the Military Defense Assistance Program and serviced in the Israeli Defense Forces. I'm going to post photos in new posting to see what other might know and also a few here (sorry if this dilutes my M43 postings)

._DSC6683.jpg_DSC6669.jpg_DSC6675.jpg

Chief_919

In case you are wondering were the restoration states - will a slight delay. A 1947 Jeep Willy's came my way and my son wanted it this summer - so a slight delay. While it might not be military - we are still going with OD, canvas seat, top, etc.

Yesterday another interesting vehicle came my way - a 1968 M601. Information I have is that it was part of the Military Defense Assistance Program and serviced in the Israeli Defense Forces. I'm going to post photos in new posting to see what other might know and also a few here (sorry if this dilutes my M43 postings)

.View attachment 431780View attachment 431778View attachment 431779
I now this post is old, but it looks like that is Thai, nor Hebrew, ir is marked with.

toddbe

So I have a few weeks between two jobs. The 'honey do' list is done - so now it is on to the M43 list.
Working on removing everything in the passenger compartment - based on the recommendations of others that have proceeded before me.
The start of the day (ok hours) and the ending.
Tomorrow I hope to figure out how to remove the the remaining sections of the benchs and then remove the side walls.

.DSCN0110.jpgDSCN0112.jpg DSCN0117.jpg

Mayor Joe

Nice progress - hate to see you go through the trouble of removing the rear compartment wall panels. I only removed the ceiling panels in the cab, and the forward ceiling panel in the rear compartment. Most of the damage I found (like yours) was related to the roof seam between the cab and rear compartment. From there, water ran down to the underfloor storage area but only rusted the outer wall around the storage doors. We replaced the forward rear compartment ceiling panel with one from a donor truck. Worst part was getting all the old rusted panel screws out (scream).

Regarding removal of the 'rest of the benches' to my memory most if not all of that is welded in place. You're so lucky that all of that is there including the upper racks and even a ceiling strap. Every M43 I see still around (most dying for a resto) have had ALL of that stripped out.

Don't forget, I still have odd parts and pieces that are specific to the M43 in case you need them.

I doubt you'll find the 'rack' for the spotlight. If need be, I can remove mine and have one machined for you.

I never found evidence of Sea Foam Green being used in the rear of an M43, but I still say go with what moves you.

Keep up the posts - brings back good memories. Mine is in my shop now getting some added touches and getting ready for driving season. CAN'T WAIT !

Here's a photo of the M43 sitting next to my M37 (just finished last year) and some photos of the damage we could see before and after blasting.
1953 M37 AF0012.jpgDSC02773.jpgDSC02409.jpg2011-03-01 20.48.48.jpg2011-03-01 20.48.57.jpgDSC02791.jpg

toddbe

So as I started to removed things today - big surprise I found rust. So now the process of removing and fixing. The question, what is the best option on this?
Part of me wants to remove the z section between the roof and wall, the other part of me is leaning to cutting and 'scabbing' repairing. What have other done here?

DSCN0132.jpgDSCN0135.jpgDSCN0136.jpgDSCN0140.jpg

toddbe

Hey Joe,

I have to tell you I am rethinking the SeaFaom Green. There is some evidence it was used, but not a lot that I could locate. So I'm now leaning toward the white. But first some rust repair.
I did have to cut a lot of the screw out - ok drill them out.

Todd

Mayor Joe

Todd -

WOW - more great progress -

Regardless of others opinions (although understood and respected), I think white is a good call. I take mine to a lot of shows and events, and people who see it appreciate the fact that they can actually SEE all of the interior details (straps, surgeon light, heater controls, etc.). I often explain that white was not always the interior color so as not to be misleading. I also have a lot of period medical items on display inside. White makes it easier to see all of that as well. I've been approached by MANY Med Vets (some who fondly remembered the vehicle and appreciated it having been restored) - and NOT ONE has ever mentioned the interior color.

Regarding the rust - It doesn't appear to be SO bad as to be structurally unsafe. Obviously, with unlimited time and resources, one would say replace it. Assuming that's not your situation, I would suggest POR or other Rust Coverting products to prevent further damage. Your preventing any new moisture and I assume you're storing it indoors. Treat it and close it up. Just my opinion. That's what I did - with no shame or hesitation.

I hope to get her down to the National Convention - display only - no judging - I'm not the competitive type.

I'm taking my deuce and my Air Force M37 for sure - just need a driver for the Ambulance (volunteer?)

Joe

anonymous1

Wow, that looks to be in great shape. I just heard about one sitting not too far from me in a junk yard. I haven't seen it in person yet, but I think I might run over someday to see if there is anything left that could be used on my 37. Good luck on your new project.

prytk

Hope you don't mind me jumping into this thread... I'm missing the rear right and left compartments in mh "new" 1952 M43. Here is one picture. Notice, nothing behind the wheel well.10959792_10155165487555464_5609649742906270680_n.jpgI do have teh tm 9-8021-2, however I don't have enought from it's pictures to refab the area. Would you be able to help with pictures/measurements/parts?

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have read your thread with interest as I am just starting work on one I bought several months ago. I believe this one was Air Force, as the interior is blue. When I became aware of this truck, the original motor had thrown a rod, the owner replaced the old 6 cylinder with a small block 350. He lost interest and I bought it. The small block made the old 40MPH truck come alive, I have no thought of replacing it. I am looking for a taller rear end gear and am going to add larger tires to get a higher final ratio. It would be nice to get a comfortable 60MPH if possible.

70deuce

I replaced the flat thin rubber runner in the rear with some rubber open cell floor panels from Lowes. Makes for a great non-slip floor in the "operating room". Also mine is OD inside. Scratches show this was the original color.

Attachments

prytk

Does anyone have any spare parts for the back of the ambulance, I've attached pictures as to what I have.... so you know what I'm missing! Anything little part towards the final product would be awesome!
10993113_10155233043205464_538376355996580845_o.jpg10988923_10155233043190464_6612632317960861599_o.jpg10995907_10155233043185464_3924833378006380337_o.jpg10991555_10155233043195464_5531496115156108159_o.jpg1780289_10155165487555464_5609649742906270680_o.jpg

toddbe

Finally working on her aagain :}

WOW it has been a long time since I posted. 2015 has not been the best year for me. The APA I have had no less than six life altering events this year. Most physical event and the one that has prevented me from working on my MV’s was a traumatic amputation of the majority my left hand. I have added a photo for your enjoyment! I dare not share the photo of what it looked like at the time of the accident. I am not saying this for pitty, and one just for the explanation or why I haven't gone.

The real excitement is that I am back working on one of my MV’s -the M4 ambulance. A replacement has been installed, correction put in place and the process of hooking everything up has begun. I will be converting it back to 24 V, because this ambulance is so complete.

Unfortunately because of the cold Michigan weather, I was unable to paint the engine, before installing. The plan is to remove many of the components and paint them when the weather turns warmer.
If all goes as planned, there should be regular updates from now on out.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks