• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gen lights flashing randomly, 1 or 2, never both

Skinny

Background on the system:

I have replaced both batteries a few months ago. I rebuilt both alternators with complete CUCV electric kits about two months ago along with new underdash relays. Brand new belts which are tight, all terminals cleaned up, the whole system is functioning great.

I noticed this weekend that my charge lights are flashing randomly. I was driving yesterday and Gen2 would blip on for less than a second (really have to focus to see it) completely randomly. Then this morning, Gen1 would do the same. Tonight Gen2 was doing it. Both Gen lights wouldn't do it at the same time...very strange.

I checked charging system voltages. Gen1 fluctuates every few seconds from 14.5v to 15v, Gen2 stays right at 14.4v

Would this be the regulators going bad? Maybe I got a bad batch or something. I don't care, I will tear them down and replace them either way. This just seems like a very strange issue. Other than the slight voltage fluctuation and the light randomly coming on, system operates great. Both Gen lights illuminate KOEO, go out as soon as the engine starts after blipping the throttle.

Anyone have any input on this?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is your idle low?

Barrman

Have you pulled and cleaned all the fuses, relays, plugs under the hood, big plug passing through the firewall and all the terminals? What is your volt meter doing when the lights flicker?

Skinny

My idle is slightly lower when I replaced my IP. my Gen2 is very dim if idling in gear but goes off as soon as I take it out of gear or touch the throttle. I'm assuming this is just due to low engine rpms as it did that before the rebuild as well.

This problem occurs while driving down the road. Voltmeter stays in its normal position right between the red and green colors on the line. It doesn't move.

Both alternators have new regulator pigtails with solderless heat shrink connectors. Big plug on the firewall is clean, all connections are good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks