• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
This goes here.
We like great big heavy stuff and what it takes to move it all.

BIG BOY is back together. I have only been near the one at the Ford museum, https://www.thehenryford.org/explore/stories-of-innovation/what-if/transportation-allegheny/

The Big Boy locomotives weighed more than one million pounds and were 132 feet, 9 inches long.
Each one cost approximately $265,000 to build, or about $4.4 million in today’s money.
In the railroad world, the Big Boys were known as 4-8-8-4 articulated type locomotives.

UP fully intends to run it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Plt6UgVo9x4&feature=youtu.be

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
Last edited:

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Forgive me, I still counting wheels, but then again that was the biggest thing I ever seen! I wanted to play on it, play, as I did as a child at the Franklin Institute when nobody was lookin.
https://www.fi.edu/exhibit/train-factory
The 60000 was another one of a kind steam locomotive that was ahead of it's time. The 60000 is a 3 cylinder locomotive with roller bearings on all wheels. I'm happy someone had the vision to save her for future generations.

Last edited:

fasttruck

I believe that is Baldwin's 50000 locomotive. It is a 3 cylinder compound loco that Baldwin built as a demonstrator and could burn coal or oil. Alas I did not generate any orders and after a nationwide tour was trucked off to the Franklin Institute.

fasttruck

Post 231: I stand corrected. Loco in Franklin Institute is Baldwin # 60000 designed by the redoubtable Samuel Vauclain.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
60000.jpg400px-Water_tube_boiler_schematic.png The 60000 also used a water tube fire box. Water tube fire boxes were common on ships, but not on locomotives. Apparently on the 60000 the water tubes had the habit of bursting while under pressure.

Last edited:

Valor

This is not an illusion. This is for real. I counted them. All in storage during a slow spell in W. Colton receiving yard. Probably all gone into service by now. Pic was taken in 2009. The locos were stored in the yard so there wouldn't be any scavenging or the copper wiring, etc. 116 Locomotives.jpg

Flyingvan911

Union Pacific has been reducing their locomotive and freight car fleet recently as part of their implementation of precision schedule railroading. The downside is I got furloughed after only seven months of employment.

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Union Pacific has been reducing their locomotive and freight car fleet recently as part of their implementation of precision schedule railroading. The downside is I got furloughed after only seven months of employment.
Sorry to hear that. Any chance of a recall in the future?

Flyingvan911

Sorry to hear that. Any chance of a recall in the future?
A very slim chance. A journeyman bumped me since I am the lowest set up apprentice. There are more layoffs coming so more journeyman will look for spots to bump to. It was a good seven months. I can’t complain too much. There are people out there much worse off than I am. My former boss and I are working on getting me rehired at Wabtec. I would continue traveling the US, Canada and Saudi Arabia teaching about air brakes and related items. I do miss the traveling. And i’ll be back to working during the day with weekends off!

Tracer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A very slim chance. A journeyman bumped me since I am the lowest set up apprentice. There are more layoffs coming so more journeyman will look for spots to bump to. It was a good seven months. I can’t complain too much. There are people out there much worse off than I am. My former boss and I are working on getting me rehired at Wabtec. I would continue traveling the US, Canada and Saudi Arabia teaching about air brakes and related items. I do miss the traveling. And i’ll be back to working during the day with weekends off!
Hope everything works out for ya. Will keep you in Prayer.

Valor

When I first started as a switchman, I had to work the extra board and only got called on rainy nights and other lousy times but, I was single and could live on what I made. The business traffic comes and goes with the economy. Just hang in there and keep the door open to that job if you really want it. It will get better. It's all about seniority. Eventually you move up. Good luck.SP3114WestColton.jpgWestColtonhumppowerin1973.jpg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks