• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

Valor

This was me in the conductor seat back in 2007 when I worked for UP. I've never been in prison but I did do 3 years with UP and another 3 with CN. Best thing I ever did was quit while I could still afford to.View attachment 878169
I served my sentence with that yellow rr too. Finally got sick of all the bs and retired. Glad you got out!Trim Tower looking east at snow.jpg

Last edited:

Valor

Valor, you know I loved the fact that I got to “play” with trains. Driving them by remote was on of the coolest things I have ever done. If it weren’t for the union and management, I wouldn’t have left.
I agree. The union was worthless almost and the management was poo-poo shall we say! I did the remote RCL too. Kinda neat. I miss the guys and "playing as you say but not the managers., testing, testing, testing, blah, blah. Did you ever get told you had to work 12 on a regular 8 hr job cuz there weren't enough men available on the extra board to relieve you? New years eve comes to mind.... etc. etc. At least we have the good memories and a pretty good pension. High Ball!At Work RCL1.jpgBill Strunk.JPG

Soupermike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got my m1008 with railgear back on the road and rails! Used on the Fort Stewart Railroad before they surplused it. Now I use it for my rail business.
I was lucky enough to get a ride in a high rail when I was at CN. Track inspector took pity on me when I had to walk to the engine from the rear car of a 1.5 mile grain train.

Another Ahab

Ferro knows trains, so figuring that this is the right thread here for this post.

Waiting the other day in a doctor's office for an appointment, and looking out the window...

BINGO! I doscover a little piece of locomotive heaven:

- And now I know why those horns sound so sweet, it's about 5-part harmony!!!

Attachments

ranchhopper

I had a K5LLA on my old mack best sounding horn hands down other than an old leslie one of the singers posing in front of the truck ask if I would lite up the horn so she could hear what it sounded like. I told her to climb up in the truck and do it herself I had a locomotive horn valve in the truck she pulled back on it and scared the $$$$ out of herself and anyone in front of the truck for a hundred yards..

Attachments

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My Dad worked SP from '39 to '80. Ran the baggage office in Yuma, AZ until passenger service died. Then he went to driving the crew bus.

They treated him well, even counted his stint in the Navy during WW2 as RR time.

Modern RR's are sure different from what I grew up with.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks