• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Railroad Forum

Should we have a Railroad Forum?

• Sure, I don't see why not, we have tanks and few own them.

Votes: 52 83.9%
  • Nope, trains is dumb!

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Ferro is nuts

Votes: 9 14.5%

• Total voters

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ferro don't you have work to do on your wrecker? We have not seen any updates since the mad drive around the yard :)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, get to work and stop worrying about trains.

You need to get to TN still!

Pagan

Guards on military trains

Walked back to the second locomotive in my power consist of a military transport train while in a siding between Las Vegas and Yermo, Ca, where the equipment unloads for Fort Irwin. Those two guards had been in that cab for around a week, all the way from the east coast, with no showers of course. Made my eyes water. Felt immensely sorry for them. Temperature around 108 degrees F at the time. MRE's and tepid drinking water. Intense noise. Toilet in nose compartment hadn't been emptied for probably a month-festering in the desert heat. Knock a buzzard off a gut wagon by itself. And of course, that being the Union Pacific-no air conditioning. Pagan

Last edited:

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am in favor!

Kovarna 2010 july cobra 03_resize.jpg railroad wagons_02_resize.jpg PICT2086c_resize.jpg

We already have one restored and 24 unrestored wagons, an old loc depot at the end of our own private railway dam of 6 m wide and 3 miles long and a lot of dreams.

truck and shovel-08.jpg

It used to be a small-gauge rail road for transporting peat from the digging area to the main railway station. The rail dam was included when we bought the place to change into a blacksmith workshop. Unfortunately, the tracks themselves (wood and all) have long disappeared.

We are now trying to get funding to restore the railroad. My M51A2 and shovel are supposed to help clean and restore the rail tracks.

Pagan

What a job!

You have a huge job ahead of you. In the 70's, I drove truck for Oscar Cooke, who was setting up his museum, Oscar's Dreamland, outside Billings, Montana. The main focus of the museum was antique farm machinery, cars and trucks, etc. He also had an M4 high speed tractor in there which I would love to have. As the years went by, he assembled a narrow gauge railroad on the property, with a steam and a diesel locomotive. The old man was rich, and could do anything he wanted. He went around Montana buying old buildings like barbershops, a depot, and many others, and had them moved to the museum. It was truly awesome. I don't know what happened to the railroad equipment after he died in the early '90s. Krause auctioneers had to have two auctions to sell all the stuff. Maybe they have records of where some of the stuff went. Pagan

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was using the wrecker around last night, picked the new tank up and put it into place. I wish it hadn't been at night, I'd have gotten some good pics and video.

All I'm saying, is others besides me post Military RR related threads, some of us even own former military RR equipment. Just saying.

Pagan

Old narrow gauge equipment

Just thought of something else. Dana Collins, proprieter of the Army Surplus Warehouse in Idaho Falls, Idaho, about 50 miles from me, has some old narrow gauge mining equipment. He used to work for the Butte, Anaconda, and Pacific in Montana a long time ago. He still has connections there. I wonder if he could help you locate some old mining railroad equipment. Just a thought. Pagan

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why don't you try sending a bribe to the moderators? Just don't use a check.

Zingggggggg

;-)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No bribes accepted here, but if you do get my winch, pump and wrecker bed section to the Ga rally I will see about getting you a train forum.

:doghead:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks