• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your wrecker this week?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I second that. will you PLEASE expand the detail of what you mean exactly.
Tried to follow the thread back to see what you were refering to. Is this it? (If not, please provide post number)....

Transport locks.jpg

If so, resting the travel stays 'forward' onto superstructure will expose the left one to contact with the cupola when slewing further to the right side of the truck than in the pic, with resulting damage to cupola and bending of leg.
(The Aussies had the option of laying the transport legs aft, onto the sus tow cross tube)

NB. Not wishing to step on any toes, but as OP., I feel that it is down to me to 'sort of' Moderate my own thread!!!!!

crasheej

Zebedee the thing to do is stow them on the bombe where they are up out of the way. Sure it takes a solider # 2 to help to get ready to go after your done , but look at the heart acke later. I know as I've been down that road. Not fun.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I just lay my boom supports back toward the rear, everything clears but the 819 is just a tad longer then a every day wrecker.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think this goes back to a pic in post #4 ....

Zebedee the thing to do is stow them on the boom where they are up out of the way. Sure it takes a solider # 2 to help to get ready to go after your done , but look at the heart ache later. I know as I've been down that road. Not fun.
Thanks crasheej, yes I did know that - it was my pick with the arrows. I was trying to explain the same to 'dmetalmiki' (post #24 - refering to Speedzilla's post #8 ) ... HOWEVER, I had responded to Speedzilla's post in post #11 already.

... yeah - thanks Ron. us poor people don't have a fifth wheel.... Oh so green.
NB - got to see one (819) in the flesh as it were on New Years Eve.... Guess who's!!!!

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
DHs 819 has the fifth wheel moved back, ramps cut (shortened) and boom support frame mounting moved forward, this mod. will allow it to pull standard length gooseneck trailers, my stock 819 can ONLY pull long neck goose neck trailers

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Oooo, just a whisker too slow Ron. Jeff gets the prize! 8)

Yup, stopped in on my way down from FtDrum. Good to catch up with nice folk!

corvette9

IMG_1498.jpgIMG_1495.jpgIMG_1494.jpgIMG_1496.jpgRecovered a car over 250 feet down. I tow for my town and the state PD. Thats why I bought a 5 ton wrecker. It gave me an excuse thinking I could use it for hard recoverys. This was the first one I'v done with this truck. My international wrecker only has 150 feet of cable on each winch. This was fun. Sometimes I love my job. I get to play with this toy and get paid.

Last edited:

Gman021

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question about wreckers. What powers the boom?

I was talking to a dealer who had some, and he said he knows a guy who has an older 809 series wrecker that costs $700 an hour to run. Didn't know why, except maybe it uses gases?

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question about wreckers. What powers the boom?
Hydraulics from PTO pump off of the transmission off of the diesel engine. Is that what you mean?

I was talking to a dealer who had some, and he said he knows a guy who has an older 809 series wrecker that costs $700 an hour to run. Didn't know why, except maybe it uses gases?
Yup - hydrogen, argon, helium etc is extremely expencive! Sorry - couldn't resist.
$700/hr - maybe in CRAZY LAND! ......not to mention that you shouldn't really run the crane at anything above an idle - even though there is a remote throttle by the controls so I'm thinking more like a few $'s per hr...

MCTNKR

"not to mention that you shouldn't really run the crane at anything above an idle - even though there is a remote throttle by the controls so I'm thinking more like a few $'s per hr"
Not exactly sure which model medium wrecker that is being referred to, but my M936A1 Operators Manual states that the hand throttle should be pulled to the last stop before putting the crane into operation. On my truck that equates to approx. 1800 RPM. Anything below that I believe would be lugging the engine when under load and not be good for the crankshaft bearings.

Csm Davis

They were probably talking about how much he charges to make a tow. And Zebadee is probably referring to the m816 in 5th gear. But I have wondered of this myself as I have both a 816 and a 936 that I used yesterday to move a mep002a, back on topic.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.... And Zebadee is probably referring to the m816 in 5th gear......
Yes Jeff, my 816, I only use the crane when in 4th or 5th as per the book and as per all those that used them in anger.
Have no experience with the 936.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The -10 for the 816 calls for 1250 rpm in 4th gear for crane operation (warm oil)
The -10 for the 936 calls for 1250 to 1300 rpm for operation (warm oil)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks