• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

What have you done WITH your wrecker this week?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, I'm going to play the OP card here!

I know we have mentioned the whiffle tree before - maybe "Wrecker wish list of mods" thread.... but that little ring that is hanging down from the middle of it - purpose anyone?

I think (as in - my opinion) it is to hang on the hook, which then has the 'tree hanging flat so that there is no weight to lift by soldier B when inserting the bumper shackles (saves soldier A & B hooking it up), then, when shackles are connected, lower, remove and insert hook in lifting eye. In otherwords, the other way up in 70D's pic.

COMMENT ANYONE? Otherwise it's somewhat redundant.

I had thought it might be a good idea to take a shackle off the boom hole that is at the end of it. From there run a chain down to the extra loop just incase the boom cable broke. To do that the wiffle tree would have to be reversed from this pic to put loop faceing tow and it will line up better to the boom hole. I know and hope the tow bar would not fail but in this pic the hook and wiffle seem to be running dang close to the tow.

All I did to mine this week was wash and air up the tires for the Mt. Dora meet.

Attachments

Last edited:

70deuce

Two of us put the wiffle tree on the ambulance first with no problem. In the picture above the hook has been lowered quite a bit to take the load off the boom. When the load is taken the hook is indeed not far from the ambulance's grill guard. But as it lifted for road travel the distance increases as the front end is lifted. I will tow it with at least one foot of clearance from the road. That gives the hook acceptable clearance from the grill guard. I'm not too worried about encountering a dip big enough that the front tires would contact the road. The route to the parade and the parade route have been traveled many times and has no obstacles of any sort that will give me problems. I'm confident that with the heavy tow bar and the wiffle tree hook up as shown everything will be fine. The setup has been tow tested and works great. Pictures will be posted after the parade.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Ok, I'm going to play the OP card here!

I know we have mentioned the whiffle tree before - maybe "Wrecker wish list of mods" thread.... but that little ring that is hanging down from the middle of it - purpose anyone?

I think (as in - my opinion) it is to hang on the hook, which then has the 'tree hanging flat so that there is no weight to lift by soldier B when inserting the bumper shackles (saves soldier A & B hooking it up), then, when shackles are connected, lower, remove and insert hook in lifting eye. In otherwords, the other way up in 70D's pic.

COMMENT ANYONE? Otherwise it's somewhat redundant.

I had thought it might be a good idea to take a shackle off the boom hole that is at the end of it. From there run a chain down to the extra loop just incase the boom cable broke. To do that the wiffle tree would have to be reversed from this pic to put loop faceing tow and it will line up better to the boom hole. I know and hope the tow bar would not fail but in this pic the hook and wiffle seem to be running dang close to the tow.

All I did to mine this week was wash and air up the tires for the Mt. Dora meet.
You are correct about the little loop on the whiffle tree,

I used a BIG shackle with a 2" pin on the hook and pin though the wiffle tree hook opening, this turns the hook 90 deg. so the hook toe does not get into the radiator guard, I ALSO use REAR lift shackles (the straight ones)because the drop down front ones tend to pull things in to the grill and are weaker because of the bend.

70deuce

After seeing what Hoefler lifted I don't think I have to worry about the boom cable breaking lifting the front end of the M43.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, maybe not this past week, but worthy of posting. Couple of weeks ago for the car lift. Couple of months ago on the A3 lift to help dump rocks from her bed.
Pete
Now that's ingenuity! LOL......Now I know how I'm going to get all the gravel out of the M923A2 bed when I need to work on the driveway without shoveling it all out..

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got to throw up a few of the trusses on the shed that will house the 816 for it's tidy up this winter.
Last week I lifted the four 10x10 posts and beam which is the support for the outside wall/truss tails.

Attachments

wcuhillbilly

Tub hoist I.jpg
overkill maybe, but used it to pack the new gravel on the driveway then got the bright idea to pluck the wifes new antique clawfoot tub from my pickup and poke it through the upstairs balcony door.... beat the heck out of luggin the cast iron/porcelen beast up two flights of stairs....

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
View attachment 540001
overkill maybe, but used it to pack the new gravel on the driveway then got the bright idea to pluck the wifes new antique clawfoot tub from my pickup and poke it through the upstairs balcony door.... beat the heck out of luggin the cast iron/porcelen beast up two flights of stairs....

:shock: . . . [thumbzup] . . . :grd: . . . :goodjob:

wcuhillbilly

Lawn Ornament??? Bury it for a Bomb/Tornado Shelter ! ! !
Or bore a hole and set it vertically for your very own miniature missile silo. LOL

:shock:
Bomb/tornado shelter,,,, already got one of those in the house,,, previous owner/builder built a battery room for the aniquated solor system batterys. 8" solid poured rebar concrete walls and room, dog door to enter, (2'x3' entry) at the rear of the house embedded in the hillside. Battery system is gone, so Im thinking canned food and cold storage room after I install a real human sized doorway... stays 55-60 in there,

Another Ahab

Bomb/tornado shelter,,,, already got one of those in the house,,, previous owner/builder built a battery room for the aniquated solor system batterys. 8" solid poured rebar concrete walls and room, dog door to enter, (2'x3' entry) at the rear of the house embedded in the hillside. Battery system is gone, so Im thinking canned food and cold storage room after I install a real human sized doorway... stays 55-60 in there,
I'm not Mormon, but built a room like that (years ago) for a Mormon family here in Virginia:

- As we completed it and pulled off the job, a tractor-traler arrived full of food goods to store in it.

- Owner told me it was a year's worth of product for the entire family.

If I remember right, he told me it was an article of faith for every Mormon who could do so, to do it. Seemed like a good idea to me.

wcuhillbilly

Im no mormon either, just a back row baptist from the hills of appalachia. I like having plenty of store on hand, as its 65 miles to the closest wal mart to the east, and 75 miles to the west (north/south,,, we just wont go there). I just find canned deer meat to taste better than the fatty beef that I find in the stores, grown crops means i dont have to waste a day driving to and fro... Winter storms and bad road conditions and my general dislike of society proves that Im better off just staying home....
Wouldnt mind having a semi load of grocerys, but I would get tired of eating beans lintels and rice...... Actually found 21 buckets of beans, lintels, rice, unground wheat, molasas, buried in the back yard of this place when I moved in... Folk who built it, intended to carry on their southern Cali lifestyle after Y2K hit.... they ended up attempting to kill each other with hatchets one nite after the generator in the afore mentioned bunker/battery room was leaking carbon monoxide into the house... They moved back to Cali and New York (divorced) and the greater portion (cept jackson hole) of Wyoming cheered with a unanimous (GOOD RIDDANCE!!!) I never knew them, and the man that currently owns it is an old rancher, ( I caretake/lease the property, operate a B&B and excavation/recovery business) Builders/first owners where astrological dreame interpreter/pshycic and a movie costume designer("Smoke Signals")

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks