• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923A2 came home with me today!

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Chris:
When Christian was very young I got him the smallest ball peen hammer that Snap on makes and a few other really small tools and made him a tool bench with a vise and other neat things on it. He and his brother used them and grew up motor heads

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
Got my Protective Control Box from Winslow today. My brother picked it up on his way here to help me finish a few pre-baby projects. We got it installed in under 20 minutes and it started on the first crank. It was great to hear it run again. I took the old one apart and some of the printed circuits on the board were fried. I still can't believe they would use a PCB with printed circuitry in a tactical vehicle. I can only imagine if one would fail on the front line. You'd have to abandon the truck and set the charges.

Bjorn, are you still interested in tinkering with my old one?
Hi Chris, perhaps you forgot, I'm still interested in the control box. I have looked at power relays for another project and there may be a problem in addition to the ventilation one mentioned before. Another look may confirm some suspicions I have.
Thanks

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Sorry, Bjorn. The guy that bought the truck wanted it. We'll have to find you another one. I'll ask Winslow when I go to get my 818 parts if he has any dead ones laying around.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't worry about it, from the one I have (from an M923), I have found that the non-vented case will cause a build-up of moisture and subsequent corrosion.
There may also be a problem with one of the 100 amp relays (going by the design and looks of the case), it is switched "dry", which means witout any current. These type of relays usually have to have a minimum current when switching to burn off oxides on the contacts, if not, they simply won't make the connection.....
I can see how these boxes can create a problem just a week in service or four decades later.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Phew, just finished re-reading this thread again. You know, looking back at 2007 and all. What a crazy 3 months it was to get it ready for Aberdeen. I do miss a lot about the 939-series and I will own another one. Hopefully sooner rather than later :) In the end, it was worth it. The experience I got putting that truck back on the road was priceless. In the meantime, I'll keep having fun with my 818. Kids will fall asleep tonight and visions of sugar-plums will dance in their heads. Visions of a one-piece front end, an over-sized cab and 14R20's will dance in mine :D

Cdub

steelsoldiers said:
Phew, just finished re-reading this thread again. You know, looking back at 2007 and all. What a crazy 3 months it was to get it ready for Aberdeen. I do miss a lot about the 939-series and I will own another one. Hopefully sooner rather than later :) In the end, it was worth it. The experience I got putting that truck back on the road was priceless. In the meantime, I'll keep having fun with my 818. Kids will fall asleep tonight and visions of sugar-plums will dance in their heads. Visions of a one-piece front end, an over-sized cab and 14R20's will dance in mine :D
Here, Here.........Bravo.......!!!!

I hope and pray for you to get back in the seat of a M939 looking down that masive hood again. There is no other feeling like it in the world.........!!!

Best of Luck,

Craig

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Thanks Craig! I have a plan for a new 939-series. We'll see how that works out. A lot of little pieces need to fall in place. I don't think it's going to happen in time for Aberdeen 2008. I know there will be at least three 939's there this year with you, Bruce Kubu and John Winslow. The guy with the 936A1 will probably be back too.

It was a very cool truck. I loved the 8.3 CTA, the CTIS, the straight air brakes, the expansive cab and those big meaty XL's!

Oldvw2

Steel Soldiers Supporter
steelsoldiers said:
It was a very cool truck. I loved the 8.3 CTA, the CTIS, the straight air brakes, the expansive cab and those big meaty XL's!
Yeah it was a blast to ride in....and quiet too - we were in the convoy heading towards Aberdeen having a conversation without having to yell at each other. I really need to upgrade to an air brake endorsement on my license so I can drive the next one! :)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks